Rams Lawsuit

A forum for non-baseball sports
Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Rams Lawsuit

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Anyone following this? Starting to get good with owners getting peeved at Stan Kroenke. Didn't see a thread for this so I'd thought I start one.

Could our city be promised an...expansion finally?

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/324 ... ources-say

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Re: Rams Lawsuit

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Holy [expletive]. Hadn't heard of it until you posted. Thanks, this is hilarious.

So, basically, the NFL knew there would be a lawsuit. Kroenke indemnified (not sure of the details) it/the owners. Now wants out of the indemnification clause/contract because it was known the Rams would violate the NFL relocation guidelines if they moved, a fact identified by a competing interest also wanting to move to LA way back when, and that information was uncovered by ESPN?
But in 2019, an ESPN report on the Rams-Chargers marriage detailed that discovery in the lawsuit had turned up an email from an official affiliated with the competing Carson proposal that outlined to St. Louis authorities all the ways the Rams seemed to be in violation of the league's relocation policy, providing a blueprint for the city of St. Louis' lawsuit.

A source close to Kroenke says now that the Rams owner believes that some of the legal issues arise from that email and that after building the stadium and agreeing to house the Chargers as a tenant for $1 a year, he shouldn't be responsible for all legal fees.
Brilliant.

Anyway, StL or the arena or whomever sued. And, here we are.

Also, this was eye opening:
Jones and Pash had a brief back-and-forth, then Jones asked Pash whether Kroenke had tried to settle the lawsuit.

Pash replied that he had, sources told ESPN. Jones indicated that Kroenke's settlement figure was billions of dollars. Pash refused to confirm the figure -- a source with direct knowledge of the situation told ESPN it was less than a billion -- but told those in the meeting that it was more than the net worth of some in the room.
I find that hard to believe, but whatever.

Also, lol at Rooney. Dude don't gaf.
Art Rooney II of the Pittsburgh Steelers said lawyers should handle all these issues. Mara then reiterated that nobody in the room would have voted for Kroenke to move if not for the full indemnification.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Kroenke should be forced to pay for all the baseball Cardinals free agent signings for the next five years.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

I don’t want the NFL back in St. Louis. [expletive] ‘em.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

I honestly don’t care as I don’t live in STL any longer…

But say they win their lawsuit and get a couple billion; that’s just going to go to the convention center/the city/whoever is involved with the actual lawsuit, and doesn’t actually benefit or give the STL citizens anything, correct? They get to see STL stick it to the NFL, but what do the little people gain?

If they get a team as part of the settlement, then the people involved with the lawsuit get all the proceeds of said team, and the citizens of STL get a team of their own to watch/enjoy. At least the normal people get something out of it that way.

(And the only way I accept a team, is if the NFL picks up the tab for everything. A new stadium, any costs involved with creating a new franchise, everything. STL doesn’t pay a dime)

Lesson
Grandmaster Flashchat

Post by Lesson »

cardsfantx wrote:
October 28 21, 9:42 pm
I honestly don’t care as I don’t live in STL any longer…

But say they win their lawsuit and get a couple billion; that’s just going to go to the convention center/the city/whoever is involved with the actual lawsuit, and doesn’t actually benefit or give the STL citizens anything, correct? They get to see STL stick it to the NFL, but what do the little people gain?

If they get a team as part of the settlement, then the people involved with the lawsuit get all the proceeds of said team, and the citizens of STL get a team of their own to watch/enjoy. At least the normal people get something out of it that way.

(And the only way I accept a team, is if the NFL picks up the tab for everything. A new stadium, any costs involved with creating a new franchise, everything. STL doesn’t pay a dime)
Well, the convention center/Dome is a pretty big thing regardless.

The Dome itself isn't even paid off yet (stupid city officials gave the Rams the opportunity to break the lease before the bonds were paid off). There are talks going on currently about renovating the convention center/Dome which would cost millions of public dollars.

Furthermore, there's the whole issue with the funding of the task force (which cost ~$16 million of public dollars).

Settlement $(excluding team) could also go towards a lot of public works and emergency personnel in the city as well.

I personally don't give a [expletive] if a team is apart of the proposed settlement. Like you said, unless everything's covered by the NFL, I have no interest in team returning. Even then, I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable with anything other than a public arrangement (similar to how the Packers are structured) or the Taylor family(Enterprise) owning and operating the team given how badly Kroenke/the NFL handled leaving St. Louis.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

I agree with Lesson. “St. Louis” isn’t getting a team. A St. Louis based billionaire or group is getting private control of a team. The Packers are a very successful model of a public ownership that the NFL will never allow again.

That said, I’d bet that it’s part of the settlement, though it shouldn’t be all of it. The latest reports have the NFL facing damages of $8 to $12 billion. The Cowboys are the most valuable franchise at $6.5 billion estimated worth.

So, just spitballing a possible settlement and what it should include:

-An expansion team that can’t under any circumstances be relocated
-The proposed $800 million riverfront stadium, paid for by the NFL
-A guaranteed Super Bowl and NFL Draft within the first five years of the stadium opening
-$1-2 billion or so in cash to the city/county

Anything else?

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

Pay off the current dome.

Build a world class convention center downtown.

Set aside funds for BIPOC-owned businesses downtown to support said convention center.

Fund airport improvements to the point it can be re-established as a hub.

Any excess returned to taxpayers.

$0 for anything still supporting the NFL.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

Popeye_Card wrote:
October 28 21, 6:01 pm
I don’t want the NFL back in St. Louis. [expletive] ‘em.
:thumb:

I enthusiastically support this sentiment.

Instead, I'm hoping the city's sports fans embrace the new MLS team, and that we get a pro women's team, too. With 3 pro women's leagues set to operate in the US by 2023, there's no reason STL can't get one of the new franchises.

I said this to someone the other day, and I absolutely mean it: if I had enough money to be a legit investor, I'd put money into a reputable women's soccer league. With my money, I'd want a say in who was chosen to lead the league (or team, if I was a part-owner of a team) because it would have to be led by people with the highest ethics and respect for women. But that is an untapped market with passion, fervor and loads of monetary potential.

100% serious statement - if anyone hears of an effort to establish a STL pro women's team, drop me a PM. I could likely assemble a minority ownership group with a couple wealthy friends I have.

Lesson
Grandmaster Flashchat

Post by Lesson »

Popeye_Card wrote:
October 29 21, 8:22 am
Pay off the current dome.

Build a world class convention center downtown.

Set aside funds for BIPOC-owned businesses downtown to support said convention center.

Fund airport improvements to the point it can be re-established as a hub.

Any excess returned to taxpayers.

$0 for anything still supporting the NFL.
I’m for this.