Bowl Games

A forum for non-baseball sports
CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Bowl Games

Post by CardsofSTL »

Anyone feel like the college bowl games have lost their appeal in these later years? I remember the Rose Bowl, The Sugar Bowl, The Orange Bowl, etc used to be must see TV. Now I barely give a rip.

Corporate sponsorship might be partially to blame. Hard to get excited when they call them things like The Buffalo Wild Wings Citrus Bowl.

Also the whole playoff bowl thing kind of is eh. Just my thoughts as I nod off during the game.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Re: Bowl Games

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

CardsofSTL wrote:
January 1 22, 6:39 pm
Anyone feel like the college bowl games have lost their appeal in these later years? I remember the Rose Bowl, The Sugar Bowl, The Orange Bowl, etc used to be must see TV. Now I barely give a rip.

Corporate sponsorship might be partially to blame. Hard to get excited when they call them things like The Buffalo Wild Wings Citrus Bowl.

Also the whole playoff bowl thing kind of is eh. Just my thoughts as I nod off during the game.
Are there still college bowl games?

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

BDub Citrus Bowl is so 2017. Vrbo Citrus Bowl is what it’s called today - played at Camping World Stadium, which is also home to the much-revered Cheez-It Bowl.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
January 1 22, 7:34 pm
CardsofSTL wrote:
January 1 22, 6:39 pm

Are there still college bowl games?
Shaddap Joey Baloney

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

That was a crazy Rose Bowl though after a sorry start.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Radbird wrote:
January 1 22, 8:09 pm
BDub Citrus Bowl is so 2017. Vrbo Citrus Bowl is what it’s called today - played at Camping World Stadium, which is also home to the much-revered Cheez-It Bowl.
I might consider donating a portion of my GDT Director's salary to sponsor the GRB FRBG Bowl next year.

Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.

Post by Leroy »

Part of what is missing to me really doesn't have to do with the playoffs. I am a Huskers fan from the Big 8. You worked hard all year and your reward was the Orange Bowl. Every year. You faced whoever but it was your conference bonus. The Rose Bowl was the same for the Big 10 and Pac 12. Even if you plucked the 4 playoff teams out of these guaranteed bowls, the second best conference record to go. It was something to look forward to. Now you may end up in the Piggly Wiggly Cottonbowl Classic by Nestea or whatever. I don't even care about all the sponsorship, just that the schools don't have an end goal like they used to.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

I love bowl games as they usually get pretty decent matchups from different conferences which is always interesting. My brother, big UK fan, married an Iowa girl, big Iowa fan; they finally got to see the matchup they've wanted for years now. So, that was cool.

The games being mostly meaningless allows teams to open up the playbook and have a little fun while still trying to win.

Star players opting to not play (no issue from me) from what I saw opened the door to younger players as teams start to look towards next year.

I don't pay nearly as much attention to cfb as I used to and as such don't make it a point to watch bowl games, but if they're on, and I'm watching TV, bowl games are at the top of the list.

Understood the corporatization is a turn off for some, but I don't really care. If it's two equally matched teams (say two 8-4 teams or whatever), the name of the game is not really a concern.

Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.

Post by Leroy »

I can't even hear the game over the sound of Paul Finebaum masturbating.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

Leroy wrote:
January 10 22, 7:54 pm
I can't even hear the game over the sound of Paul Finebaum masturbating.
just about all sports are unwatchable anymore because I'm an old fart yelling at clouds - I mean I can't stand the volume of the crowd-noise, the commercials shouting at me to get my dick hard with their pill and announcers masturbating as you say.