St. Louis Blues Offseason and Season 2022-23

A forum for non-baseball sports
Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.

Re: St. Louis Blues Offseason and Season 2022-23

Post by Leroy »

I get it and it's fine, but there is not much worse than seeing a Blue that I liked throw on that damn communist sweater.

I mean a Card to the cubs is fine, because I mostly feel sorry for them. I fing hate communists.

letsgocards89
Perennial All-Star

Post by letsgocards89 »

I *want* to believe there's more moves coming but really I think Army's going to let it ride and use the Perron/Vladi money on Kyrou and ROR next year

TheoSqua
Next Gen Wart

Post by TheoSqua »

The Blues could have squeezed 4.75m this year, but next year would be very difficult.

Thomas is going from 2.8m to 8.125 so you have to find 5.325m in your cap for him.
Kyrou is likely going from 2.8 to 7-8m so another ~5m for him.

So that means next year, if you included perron at 4.75 and Kyrou at 7m, the team would have 71.162m in salary committed to 12 players.

So you'd have to fill 11 roster spots with roughly 11mil including replacing or resigning the production of O'Reilly, Tarasenko, Barbashev, Acciari, Walker, Scandella and Bortuzzo.

So it basically comes down to either losing Perron now, losing O'Reilly or Kyrou next season, or having very little depth on the defensive side and no way to improve for several years.

When you look at the Blues' prospect pool there are several fowards with potential who can step in. The team already signed Brandon Saad last season who can fill a part of Perron's role. The team still has Tarasenko. Basically there are options internally that can replace Perrons production to some degree.

Now if you look on the defensive side, there's basically no promising prospects. Maybe Perunovich becomes a top pairing defenseman, but I don't think you can bet on him at this point (and even if you did you'd have to move Krug who is 30, has a NTC, and 5 more years at 6.5m. You'd likely have to include assets to move him if you could even get him to waive his NTC).

So i'm really sad that Perron is gone and I hate that he's no longe a Blue, but the hard facts of the cap made his production easier to replace than on the defensive side and it makes sense that the team let him go to focus that money on D.

Now the fact that they used that money and turned around and signed Nick Leddy is a legit question in my mind. Leddy's analytical metrics were downright awful and he was beat in key moments several times in the playoffs.

I like Leddy's game and I think he pairs well with Parayko, but I worry that is going to be the next Scandella contract for the Blues.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

Lol Johnny Gaudreau going to Columbus?

What is going on today?!?!

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

I’m obv just guessing, Johnny Gaudreau seemed destined to go home to NJ, so wonder if they come back into play now for tarasenko/get some cap relief that way?

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

They had Perron on Karraker and Smallmon this morning. He said he was never even given a formal offer. He sounded pretty hurt. But yeah, when you consider his age, the cap situation and the state of the D depth versus the O depth, it makes sense. It sucks, but I get it. I hate to see him go to Detroit, too. Ugh.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Frk

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

frk this offseason

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

Hopefully he can afford to buy a vowel now.

Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.

Post by Leroy »