St. Louis Blues Offseason and Season 2022-23

A forum for non-baseball sports
JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Re: St. Louis Blues Offseason and Season 2022-23

Post by JCShutout »

Breaks my heart that Tank and ROR are gone.

It’s also the right move.

From outside the locker room, Schenn or Faulk seem like good choices.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

They're going to give the C to... O'Reilly when he returns to the Blues in the summer!!

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

I wouldn't be shocked at all by this. I'd actually handicap the odds at 50/50 for this happening.

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

I’d love ror back, but I don’t see it happening. If he’d take something around what we signed Perron, saad or bozak for (3-4 years, $4-5m) then sure, but someone is going to offer him a lot more. (At least $6m) His torrid start in Toronto is probably securing him #2 center money from someone.

I mean, I’m just some guy guessing, so I could be way off, but I could see someone offering him 2/14 or 3/20 if he continues to score in Toronto. I don’t see the blues offering that.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

7 would be the max AAV but I don’t even see a team paying that for a guy turning 33 next season. I’m betting 5ish it tops.

But won’t be the blues; unless we are able to move a defenseman, we’re in total rebuild mode, as last I saw we only have 12 mil and 9 open spots next season IIRC.

Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.

Post by Leroy »

I'd put the odds of his returning at 10/90, though there's only a five percent chance of that.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

cardsfantx wrote:
February 22 23, 11:22 am
7 would be the max AAV but I don’t even see a team paying that for a guy turning 33 next season. I’m betting 5ish it tops.

But won’t be the blues; unless we are able to move a defenseman, we’re in total rebuild mode, as last I saw we only have 12 mil and 9 open spots next season IIRC.
Point taken.

I'm looking at capfriendly, and if I'm figuring right, it'll be more like 15 mil in cap space once Barby and Blais come off the books (both UFAs). But yeah, that's a lot of retooling to do without moving more salary than what they've trimmed so far.

albertmvpujols
All-Star

Post by albertmvpujols »

I see the cap space for next year at ~$12.7 mil on capfriendly. We have 9 roster spots to fill and even if we fill them all at league min ($750k) that would take up $6.75 mil. I think there is a good chance a defenseman may move out this offseason, which would help. I wouldn't pay any draft capital to move anyone out and I wouldn't retain on any of our long term contract defenseman, but I'd do what I could to move one out. If nothing else buying out Scandella saves a couple mil of cap next year. Personally I don't think the Blues are going to be competitive next year and I'd prefer if we're rebuilding to weaponize our retention spots and cap space as much as possible from cap strapped teams especially since that won't be as easy to do with the cap likely to go up significantly over the next several years.

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

Id love him back at 3/15 or 4/19 or so, but it just takes one Gm to see him as a $6m+ player.

Who knows.

Hearing we’re in on timo meier. (I’m sure that’s a pipe dream) for fun, meier, and finding a way to unload a dman would be a heck of a reload. Him, buch, Thomas, kyrou, schenn and saad. A team could do worse in the top 6.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

I have no idea what army is doing...
Blues Claim Kasperi Kapanen Off Waivers From Penguins
https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2023/02 ... guins.html
However, it does come with a somewhat notable salary commitment as the winger is in the first season of a two-year contract that carries a $3.2MM cap hit. As a result of that claim, the Blues will take the entirety of that contract on. Prior to the claim, they had nearly $71MM of commitments on the books for next season per CapFriendly with this claim pushing that number up to nearly $74MM for 16 players. That won’t leave them with a lot of wiggle room to add to the back of their roster.
makes 3.2 mil next year and we don't have a lot of room next year as it is....he must have a deal coming for 1 or more defenseman to go out