-go birds

Re: EAT [expletive] BAMA

Post by go birds »

Lesson wrote:
January 16 23, 2:01 pm
go birds wrote:
October 29 22, 7:43 pm
Chefskiss.gif
Are you ready to talk yet about Saturday and how Tennessee will never win anything with Rick Barnes?
i agree with you

Lesson
Grandmaster Flashchat

Post by Lesson »

go birds wrote:
January 16 23, 2:06 pm
Lesson wrote:
go birds wrote:
Chefskiss.gif
Are you ready to talk yet about Saturday and how Tennessee will never win anything with Rick Barnes?
i agree with you
Glad we're on the same page. :wink:

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

Lesson wrote:
January 16 23, 2:12 pm
go birds wrote:
Lesson wrote:
go birds wrote:
Chefskiss.gif
i agree with you
how much is cal's buy-out btw?

gonna be real expensive when the fanbase finally gets their way

Lesson
Grandmaster Flashchat

Post by Lesson »

go birds wrote:
January 16 23, 2:14 pm
Lesson wrote:
January 16 23, 2:12 pm
go birds wrote:
Lesson wrote:
go birds wrote:
Chefskiss.gif
i agree with you
how much is cal's buy-out btw?

gonna be real expensive when the fanbase finally gets their way
I think it’s like $40 mil.

Cal will leave on his terms, not anyone else’s.

I like Cal. Recruiting class next year is insane. He’s a good coach.

Lesson
Grandmaster Flashchat

Post by Lesson »

We can enjoy basketball purgatory together, go birds.

Lesson
Grandmaster Flashchat

Post by Lesson »

go birds wrote:
Chefskiss.gif
Just bringing this up to enjoy another Tennessee loss to Kentucky in basketball on a Saturday.

:P

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

ThatGuy wrote:
July 13 23, 7:00 pm
Yeah, you missed my point. The point was that the bad stretch was the anomaly for Tennessee.
Tennessee hasn't felt relevant since Tee Martin, but I just looked at their record and they've actually been pretty Cardinalsy in our lifetime.
ThatGuy wrote:
July 13 23, 7:00 pm
And just for fun, I'd be willing to bet that Tennessee could fend off almost any offer for either Danny White or Josh Heupel (assuming they maintain something close to their current success). UCLA came calling for Barnes a few years ago, LSU had a lot of interest in Tony Vitello ... we've seen it before. Best sports conference, one of the premier NIL programs, incredible facilities, large and dedicated fan base, etc. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it's weird that you portray Tennessee as a stepping stone.
Maybe you're right. As an extremely casual college football observer, Tennessee is just part of the good but not elite blob to me. Now I know that's more about me not paying attention than reality.

I will say this! I will no longer be surprised if, someday, Tennessee is elite for a long time because you're making good points.

Lesson
Grandmaster Flashchat

Post by Lesson »

ThatGuy wrote:
July 14 23, 8:09 am

Is there any optimism this year? Haven't paid as much attention to Kentucky this offseason.
More optimism considering they brought back the OC they had in 2021, brought in arguably the 2nd best QB from the portal to start, addressed OL, and have more talent
ThatGuy wrote:

How did you celebrate the women's volleyball title? :wink:

And what do you mean by geographic challenges? Isn't Lexington like 180 miles from Knoxville? Seems a bit like a cop out. And hell, our current stadium is even pretty awful (though it's getting a huge upgrade). If Vitello can recruit to that, surely Kentucky can do better.
I was actually at a bar watching the championship match vs Texas.

Geographic challenges being weather since KY is the second-most northern school in the SEC along with having a smaller population to recruit talent from.
ThatGuy wrote:
Oh I'm under no delusion that Tennessee's basketball program is elite. But Kentucky's whole brand is so centered around basketball that I have to think Calipari's downward trend (in terms of performance, not recruiting) feels concerning.
Not concerned. Just that the first 5 years were awesome but unsustainable.

ThatGuy
Perennial All-Star

Post by ThatGuy »

Lesson wrote:
July 14 23, 8:20 am
More optimism considering they brought back the OC they had in 2021, brought in arguably the 2nd best QB from the portal to start, addressed OL, and have more talent.
Interesting. And are fans still happy with Stoops? Especially after the Tennessee game last year (understandably the one I paid most attention to), I sensed a bit of a "we're not totally happy but we don't know if we can do better" kind of vibe.
Geographic challenges being weather since KY is the second-most northern school in the SEC along with having a smaller population to recruit talent from.
Yeah, and not gonna get any easier when Oklahoma and Texas join the conference. I was wondering if the run to the Super Regionals this year might create some momentum for the program, but maybe not.

Tennessee's program didn't even get to the postseason from 2005 to (I think) 2018—they were out in the wilderness. They got there in Vitello's second year and have now been to the CWS two of the past three years. I've seen what a difference the right coach can make, so I feel like Kentucky could do better with a dynamic hire.
Not concerned. Just that the first 5 years were awesome but unsustainable.
I'll just say you're the most level-headed about Calipari of any Kentucky fan I've interacted with. The seats seems hot, especially after the past two seasons.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Lesson wrote:
July 14 23, 8:20 am
the first 5 years were awesome but unsustainable.
I mean, only if you want the banners to stay up and Calipari out of NCAA jail. If you're ok with velcro banners and getting a new coach when Cal gets caught, he could keep it up.