2022 World Cup

A forum for non-baseball sports
BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Re: 2022 World Cup

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

I don't know what's worse, Seven Nation Army or vuvuzelas. But I'm glad there has been very little of either, at least in the games I've seen.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Brazil wouldn't be pussyfootin' around like teams do in these big tournament games. I miss them.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

If you ever run into a casual who wonders what the US would look like if our "best athletes" played soccer, just send them a clip of Luka Modric. That dude, in any other era, would have been one of THE guys. If that man was English?! God forbid. We'd never hear the end of his greatness. 9 days older than me and he's still doing it.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Did Bill Simmons do a piece this year about what position Brady and LeBron would play if soccer was a real sport? He probably did. It's a very Simmons thing and a World Cup trope almost as potent as 'when will the US ever like soccer?'. Obviously, the Boston Celtics, the franchise, would be the coach. He'd probably have Stringer Bell at centerback as well, because usually Simmons is The Wire. Spoiler alert, Brady would play worst athlete ever in the World Cup.

Oh man, someone stop that guy. Oh man, so much luck in that crazy run, too.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

Bill Simmons still has a job somewhere? Reminds me of this quote:
"Huh. I didn't know you were still in business." - Bilbo Baggins

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

I had remembered Ronaldinho had gotten into trouble. It wasn't as bad as I had thought, so that's how he can be in Qatar. Also he lit it up in prison:
While in prison, he competed in a prison futsal tournament, where his team was victorious. They won 11–2 in the finals, with Ronaldinho scoring 5 goals and assisting the other 6.[219] He attempted to appeal the detention order but was ordered to remain under house arrest with his brother.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

mikechamp wrote:
December 13 22, 1:57 pm
Bill Simmons still has a job somewhere? Reminds me of this quote:
"Huh. I didn't know you were still in business." - Bilbo Baggins
I don't check in on him often. After Grantland (which was brilliant, he does have some skills), he made The Ringer which is sort of Grantland running on three cylinders. He's a doofus, but I do like him, even if he'd have 66 year old Larry Bird starting in goal without irony in the 2022 World Cup. As a side note, Dax Shepherd has become my doofus for science. I really think they parallel each other in many ways.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Oh Messi.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

I would love to know what Messi squats and deadlifts. His balance, core, and base strength for such a tiny man is insane. I bet he puts up numbers in the gym.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Love the color guy just chuckling to himself during the pbp.