PGA / LIV to merge.

A forum for non-baseball sports
sparks
Veteran Player

PGA / LIV to merge.

Post by sparks »

Not surprising considering the PGA would not be able to keep up with LIV financially. It did happen sooner than I thought it would. I am sure a lot of the PGA players probably feel like they were sold out. So much for standing strong for morality reasons.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Re: PGA / LIV to merge.

Post by cardsfantx »

sparks wrote:
June 6 23, 9:11 am
Not surprising considering the PGA would not be able to keep up with LIV financially. It did happen sooner than I thought it would. I am sure a lot of the PGA players probably feel like they were sold out. So much for standing strong for morality reasons.
it is weird...so now all those guys that got 9 figure bonuses get to just come back to the tour?

I bet the people who stayed are [expletive] livid...people like Rory and Woods (woods apparently turned down nearly a billion to defect to LIV) have to be furious at the PGA...might as well taken the money if they got to just come back to the tour.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall when the commish's meeting with the PGA players takes place (they apparently did not know ANY of this was going on), when he has to tell guys they just turned down 9 figures in some cases for nothing....
Another PGA Tour member reached by ESPN on Tuesday, questioned why the merger needed to happen when, in his opinion, the PGA Tour was beating the LIV Golf League on the course and in the courts.

"It's insanity," the PGA Tour player said. "The LIV tour was dead in the water. It wasn't working. Now, you're throwing them a life jacket? Is the moral of the story to just always take the money?"

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

Is Khashoggi reporting this? Oh, that's right. This is like when Trump vetoed a Republican Senate to sell arms to Saudi Arabia.

What a disaster. I hope this isn't the end of the story. Money justifies all. I just can't wait to see the tributes the next time there's a PGA event on 9/11.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Well now I'm definitely never going to watch golf voluntarily. I already wasn't, but I'm 200% for sure now. Now my anti-golf stance can be moral rather than cultural/anti-elitist.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

I watch The Masters because it reminds me of my late Grandfather on a lazy spring Sunday. Now Jim Nantz will probably have handlers on each shoulder controlling the message. Man with the World Cup and now PGA, sports are really turning their dollar sign-filled eyes away from human rights, or even American firemen, if you'd rather. Barf.

sparks
Veteran Player

Post by sparks »

Some NSFW in the title of the tweet.

https://twitter.com/stoolpresidente/sta ... 42984?s=20

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

So, I get the Khashoggi thing is more recent, but literally we decimated an entire other country in the last 2 decades for no real reason, and nearly this entire country (again, guilty here personally) and every business (including our sports leagues) supported that effort and it just feels weird to be getting high and mighty on these players for getting money for what they do. We're currently selling the Saudis weapons.

Just feels like the anger is perhaps misplaced.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

ghostrunner wrote:
June 7 23, 10:38 am
So, I get the Khashoggi thing is more recent, but literally we decimated an entire other country in the last 2 decades for no real reason, and nearly this entire country (again, guilty here personally) and every business (including our sports leagues) supported that effort and it just feels weird to be getting high and mighty on these players for getting money for what they do. We're currently selling the Saudis weapons.

Just feels like the anger is perhaps misplaced.
This is probably fair. I'm sure I sign on for objectionably co-opted stuff all the time. The problem here, as in the tweet above, is that this was presented as a moral division. I think criticisms of taking hundreds of millions of dollars as an individual to golf on Trump's golf courses for Saudi branding purposes are also fair, while again noting that I'm certainly overlooking all sorts of stuff to do so.

It's gross. It's so discouraging to see how people of power yield to the Saudis. Grosser than LeBron sticking up for China? Or wearing sweatshop clothes? Or modern colonialism? Or pointless wars? Yes and no and equal and I don't know (irrespective to the preceding list). I think the anger (or at least something like it)is fine for a minute or two. Hopefully we see some good signs out on the course.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

I think you can criticize them individually and the PGA too. Like I know you can't get trapped in "we collectively did something bad so therefore we individually can't ever expect better". There's some difference too in that the Saudi gov't money is being used for this. But combined with the scale of our actions and the fact that we still ally with and arm them, it's just hard to generate a lot of righteous anger about it. Helps that I don't really follow golf at all, of course.

Definitely seems to be a lot of blatant hypocrisy now on the PGA and some players' parts. This was beyond the pale a few months back and suddenly everyone's on board.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

Seems like a good vehicle for them to launder a bunch of money.