Scott Rolen for Troy Glaus (Update: Finalized!)

Classic threads for your viewing pleasure.
MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Scott Rolen for Troy Glaus (Update: Finalized!)

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7665630
Scott Rolen is on the verge of escaping St. Louis manager Tony La Russa. Troy Glaus is on the verge of escaping the artificial turf in Toronto.

The Cardinals and Blue Jays are closing in on an exchange of their third basemen, major-league sources say, but both former All-Stars must pass physicals before a deal is completed.

Those physicals are no small issue since Rolen is coming off surgery on his right shoulder and Glaus surgery on his left foot.

While both players have agreed to waive their no-trade clauses, the differences in their contracts also might need to be resolved, most likely through a cash payment from the Cardinals to the Blue Jays.

Rolen, 32, is owed $33 million over the next three seasons. Glaus, 31, is guaranteed $24 million over the next two, including an $11.25 million player option for 2009.

The commissioner's office must approve the trade if it involves a cash exchange of more than $1 million.
Last edited by MrCrowesGarden on January 14 08, 5:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Re: Scott Rolen for Troy Glaus almost a done deal

Post by sighyoung »

You scooped me. I'll see if I can delete the other thread.

Edit: Mission accomplished. Carry on.

TimeForGuinness
Hall Of Famer

Post by TimeForGuinness »

Pick your poison I guess...

clevername
Bringer of FRBG

Post by clevername »

I don't get this.

I guess Glaus is a better bet to hit this year, though I don't know much about his foot injury. We get rid of 1 year of contract...maybe 2 if Glaus has a really good year and thinks he can get more than his option and doesn't use it.
Last edited by clevername on January 12 08, 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

A healthy Rolen carries more value than a healthy Glaus, but who knows when or if Scott will be healthy (and happy) again?

Glaus certainly qualifies as a "right-handed impact bat" though.

cpebbles
Perennial All-Star

Post by cpebbles »

I get it perfectly. It's a trade that Toronto will gladly make that isn't going to look bad to Cards fans who focus on triple crown stats. Just FYI, WARP1 for the two 3Bs:

Rolen 4.1
Glaus 4.0

Rolen 8.4
Glaus 6.3

Glaus 4.9
Rolen 2.2

Rolen 11.0
Glaus 2.0

Rolen 8.3
Glaus 1.6

Rolen 9.7
Glaus 6.1

Rolen 9.4
Glaus 5.5

Glaus 9.4
Rolen 6.5

I know 2000 doesn't mean a whole lot when we're talking about 2008. I just wanted to illustrate how long it's been since Rolen played more than a third of the season and wasn't better than Glaus.

Cole Burns
Perennial All-Star

Post by Cole Burns »

clevername wrote:I don't get this.
1. Best offer available considering talent in return. All other offers were for zero talent coming to us. And no teams were willing to pay much if any of Rolen's contract.
2. We escape the third year on Rolen's contract. Come 2010 both he and Glaus would be off the books.
3. Glaus and Rolen have similar numbers, with Troy having more consistent pop in his bat.

This may be the best option available. If so, I'm for it. I think the Rolen era in STL is over, even if he stays with the club. I don't think a disgruntled Rolen is going to put up any kind of respectable numbers. And Glaus may just thrive with a change of scenary and hitting behind Albert.

jagtrader
Hall Of Famer

Post by jagtrader »

Considering the circumstances, I think the Cards do OK in this deal. Glaus has three consecutive seasons with an OPS+ between 120-126. He's injury prone and not good defensively, but the Cards are trading from a position of major weakness and if they deal Rolen they have to get a bat somewhere.

dangerous
Perennial All-Star

Post by dangerous »

How is Izturis in going to his right side?

Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer

Post by Magneto2.0 »

Cardinals do very well in this deal, imo. Troy Glaus has much more power then Rolen, even when healthy. We need some hitters.