Scott Rolen for Troy Glaus (Update: Finalized!)

Classic threads for your viewing pleasure.
Locked
User avatar
Maclowery
Child Pot Activist
Posts: 7745
Joined: June 15 06, 7:27 am
Location: NYC
Contact:

Re: Scott Rolen for Troy Glaus (Update: Finalized!)

Post by Maclowery »

I'm lost. What are we joking about here?

User avatar
picasso
All-Star
Posts: 1403
Joined: May 12 06, 2:51 pm

Re: Scott Rolen for Troy Glaus (Update: Finalized!)

Post by picasso »

Maclowery wrote:I'm lost. What are we joking about here?
The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, St.Louis.

User avatar
haltz
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 20035
Joined: November 9 06, 6:45 am
Location: a proud midwestern metropolis

Re: Scott Rolen for Troy Glaus (Update: Finalized!)

Post by haltz »

Dan Szymborski wrote:Love the challenge trade! Both third basemen are injury concerns. Rolen's a bit better when completely healthy but also has the lower chance of being completely healthy. I think the risk/reward scenarios actually work out pretty well for both teams - the Blue Jays are against very tough competition and have some heavy groundballers, so they want the more fielding oriented guy with the biggest payoff, since they're not going to slip into the playoffs with 88 wins anytime soon and the Cardinals, against rather weak competition, would rather have the safer bet.

Code: Select all

2008 ZiPS Projection - Scott Rolen
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              AB   R    H  2B 3B  HR RBI  BB  SO  SB    BA   OBP   SLG   OPS+  DR   
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Projection   380  58   93  24  1  10  57  38  63   3  .245  .319  .392    84   14
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Opt. (15%)   473  89  140  38  2  19  81  50  66   6  .296  .369  .505   127   17
Pes. (15%)   355  47   83  24  0   8  43  28  68   2  .234  .293  .369    73   10 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Top Offensive Comps:  Clete Boyer, Pinky "The Egalitarian" Higgins

2008 ZiPS Projection - Troy Glaus
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              AB   R    H  2B 3B  HR RBI  BB  SO  SB    BA   OBP   SLG   OPS+  DR   
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Projection   469  71  120  22  0  24  78  77 107   1  .256  .362  .456   112  -10
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Opt. (15%)   497  88  143  27  1  30  97  87 103   2  .288  .397  .527   138   -7
Pes. (15%)   420  54   99  16  0  16  59  60 103   0  .236  .332  .388    87  -14  
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Top Offensive Comps:  Rico Petrocelli, Todd Zeile

User avatar
Maclowery
Child Pot Activist
Posts: 7745
Joined: June 15 06, 7:27 am
Location: NYC
Contact:

Re: Scott Rolen for Troy Glaus (Update: Finalized!)

Post by Maclowery »

picasso wrote:
Maclowery wrote:I'm lost. What are we joking about here?
The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, St.Louis.
Augh! So obvious. I was going for physical features, playings styles, names, jeez. Duh.

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you
Posts: 50681
Joined: May 1 06, 2:41 pm

Re: Scott Rolen for Troy Glaus (Update: Finalized!)

Post by jim »

Maclowery wrote:
picasso wrote:
Maclowery wrote:I'm lost. What are we joking about here?
The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, St.Louis.
Augh! So obvious. I was going for physical features, playings styles, names, jeez. Duh.
Don't feel bad, I didn't get it right away either. Until I saw Percival I didn't understand the connection.

User avatar
Team
Everyday Player
Posts: 392
Joined: December 14 06, 9:35 am
Location: Columbia, MO

Re: Scott Rolen for Troy Glaus (Update: Finalized!)

Post by Team »

So apparently Glaus has wanted to play for the Cardinals for quite a while, I think it may have all started in the playoffs in 2001
It was October. The Anaheim Angels were sitting at home again. Angels third baseman Troy Glaus had nothing better to do. So he decided to take his buddy up on his invitation.

"Actually, it was a bet. He had to come," St. Louis Cardinals center fielder Jim Edmonds said. "If the Angels made the playoffs, I told him I'd be there. If the Cardinals made it, he had to come to St. Louis.

"I really wanted him to be there. I knew the whole St. Louis experience would blow his mind."

Glaus boarded the plane Oct. 12, figuring he'd stop in for a couple of days, cheer on one of his best friends and maybe get some good barbecue.

Never did he envision that it would be a life-altering experience.

"I'd never seen anything like it," Glaus said.

There he was, sitting in Busch Stadium, absolutely mesmerized, sitting in a sea of red. Everyone was wearing their Cardinals' colors. And that buzz? It was like old-time baseball. He was fascinated to see everyone on the edge of their seat for every pitch.

Full Story

Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 12794
Joined: June 16 07, 2:12 pm

Re: Scott Rolen for Troy Glaus (Update: Finalized!)

Post by Magneto2.0 »


User avatar
JL21
NPR & THT Contributor
Posts: 36131
Joined: April 18 06, 7:44 am
Location: Chocolate City

Re: Scott Rolen for Troy Glaus (Update: Finalized!)

Post by JL21 »

haltz wrote:
Dan Szymborski wrote:Love the challenge trade! Both third basemen are injury concerns. Rolen's a bit better when completely healthy but also has the lower chance of being completely healthy. I think the risk/reward scenarios actually work out pretty well for both teams - the Blue Jays are against very tough competition and have some heavy groundballers, so they want the more fielding oriented guy with the biggest payoff, since they're not going to slip into the playoffs with 88 wins anytime soon and the Cardinals, against rather weak competition, would rather have the safer bet.

Code: Select all

2008 ZiPS Projection - Scott Rolen
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              AB   R    H  2B 3B  HR RBI  BB  SO  SB    BA   OBP   SLG   OPS+  DR   
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Projection   380  58   93  24  1  10  57  38  63   3  .245  .319  .392    84   14
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Opt. (15%)   473  89  140  38  2  19  81  50  66   6  .296  .369  .505   127   17
Pes. (15%)   355  47   83  24  0   8  43  28  68   2  .234  .293  .369    73   10 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Top Offensive Comps:  Clete Boyer, Pinky "The Egalitarian" Higgins

2008 ZiPS Projection - Troy Glaus
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              AB   R    H  2B 3B  HR RBI  BB  SO  SB    BA   OBP   SLG   OPS+  DR   
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Projection   469  71  120  22  0  24  78  77 107   1  .256  .362  .456   112  -10
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Opt. (15%)   497  88  143  27  1  30  97  87 103   2  .288  .397  .527   138   -7
Pes. (15%)   420  54   99  16  0  16  59  60 103   0  .236  .332  .388    87  -14  
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Top Offensive Comps:  Rico Petrocelli, Todd Zeile
Wow, that's a pretty highly favorable point in Glaus' favor. Though it's tough to say how much weight to put in DR.

User avatar
Dillagii
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 7959
Joined: April 18 06, 2:37 pm

Re: Scott Rolen for Troy Glaus (Update: Finalized!)

Post by Dillagii »

Magneto2.0 wrote:Scott Rolen compilation

http://my.break.com/content/view.aspx?ContentID=259491
Can you paraphrase this for those who cant view the page? Its blocked at work.

Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 12794
Joined: June 16 07, 2:12 pm

Re: Scott Rolen for Troy Glaus (Update: Finalized!)

Post by Magneto2.0 »

DiLLaGii wrote:
Magneto2.0 wrote:Scott Rolen compilation

http://my.break.com/content/view.aspx?ContentID=259491
Can you paraphrase this for those who cant view the page? Its blocked at work.
It's basically all the highlights from Scott Rolen's 2006 season. It's a very good video. I'm still dumbfounded by some of the plays he makes.

Locked