UPDATE: Cards Acquire Holliday, page 26

Classic threads for your viewing pleasure.
AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Re: Alternative to Matt Holliday: Josh Willingham?

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

lukethedrifter wrote:From the above linked espn article
Holliday could be in line for an award of $16 million
So, the Cards could be on the hook for a $16 mil/year contract if Holliday accepts arbitration. That doesn't seem reasonable to me.

1. I would do Wallace plus another guy in the 6-10 list currently in the minor league forum right now for Holliday.

2. I would be upset if the Cardinals could do a 1 year/16 mil contract in 2010 for Holliday and didn't.

Faceman
Perennial All-Star

Post by Faceman »

$16MM per year is okay if and only if it's one year. Which it would be.

skmsw
Perennial All-Star

holy crap - Wallace for Holliday rumor

Post by skmsw »

No inside info on this - WEEI in Boston is reporting that Cards-Oakland are discussing Wallace for Matt Holiday, and put it at 50-50 of getting done in somethingclose to its current form.

robbotis
Perennial All-Star

Post by robbotis »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
lukethedrifter wrote:From the above linked espn article
Holliday could be in line for an award of $16 million
So, the Cards could be on the hook for a $16 mil/year contract if Holliday accepts arbitration. That doesn't seem reasonable to me.

1. I would do Wallace plus another guy in the 6-10 list currently in the minor league forum right now for Holliday.

2. I would be upset if the Cardinals could do a 1 year/16 mil contract in 2010 for Holliday and didn't.

I think Wallace is all they'd get.
And the Birds would certainly offer arbitration.

Faceman
Perennial All-Star

Re: holy crap - Wallace for Holliday rumor

Post by Faceman »

we need to re-title the Willingham thread. .

phins
Sobbing quietly during Fox programming

Post by phins »

omaha_red wrote:
cards2468 wrote:
omaha_red wrote:quick and simple question.. do you think Wallace would be our starting 3b next year?
No, I think there's a better chance of us re-signing DeRosa to play 3b. If Wallace has any future here I think it's left field, and really that's not a good spot for him.
do you think he would be on the MLB roster next year?
and what.. do you think he'd be a 1b or DH?
In my amateur scouting eye, Wallace is not, and never will be, a major league 3B'man. That means, for us he is either an .800 OPS LF'er next year, or a 1B/DH type for another team. Oakland will value his patience and pure hitting ability more than most teams, at least in theory.

He is already 22, about to turn 23, and has stumbled some in a great hitters league. For me, I'm ok with trading him now because his defense is going to eat up a large percentage of his offensive value. Honestly, his greatest value will be the fact that he will be a major league ready bat for cheap the next three years. The Cards need players like that IMO.

Daryl Jones has been hurt most of the year, and is repeating AA. He is a nice talent, but has been known from day one to be a slow developing talent. I'd say he is at least another year away from starting in the big leagues, and I wouldn't want to pencil him as our starter next year at this point.

Spider John
Hall Of Famer

Post by Spider John »

That's just crazy talk.

Isn't it?

TheoSqua
Next Gen Wart

Post by TheoSqua »

Spider John wrote:That's just crazy talk.

Isn't it?
I'd do it. Wallace is overvalued on this forum, imo.

Even if he exceeds every standard of potential he has, he's basically a David Ortiz type hitter.

Where do you play Ortiz on this team?

doe_boy
Hall Of Famer

Post by doe_boy »

Bahstan peeps be wicked-buzzin'!

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

According to Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle, the Cardinals are again showing interest in outfielder Matt Holliday.

As Slusser reports, "One NL source said Wednesday that St. Louis might be edging closer to Oakland's asking price, minor-league third baseman Brett Wallace, because the Cardinals need a left fielder and their other option essentially would be Washington's Josh Willingham." Wallace seems like a high price to pay for Holliday, who is a free agent after this season. Then again, he'd be able to provide much-needed protection behind Albert Pujols. We'll keep you updated with any further developments.
Source: San Francisco Chronicle
Related: Josh Willingham, Cardinals