MAGIC NUMBER: 0. CLINCHED!!!

Classic threads for your viewing pleasure.
dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Re: MAGIC NUMBER: 45

Post by dmarx114 »

I had a feeling this thread would pick up steam.

Down to 44! Woohoo!

JackofDiamonds
Bringer of Boston Baked Blue Balls

Post by JackofDiamonds »

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Post by jim »

omaha_red wrote:
haltz wrote:
Michael wrote:I remember Dill created one of these threads in 06. Soon afterwards the cards went on a losing streak and posters genuinely believed it was bad luck. There were major cries to lock it. People were actually worried a magic number thread on a mid-sized message board was impacting the outcome of cards games. Eventually the pressure on poor dill became so great he asked me to lock it.

It was a GRB low point.
that's hilarious
less than a week ago we weren't even in first place.. now we have a magic number thread.. also hilarious
Agreed.

JS04
All-Star

Post by JS04 »

jim wrote:
omaha_red wrote:
haltz wrote:
Michael wrote:I remember Dill created one of these threads in 06. Soon afterwards the cards went on a losing streak and posters genuinely believed it was bad luck. There were major cries to lock it. People were actually worried a magic number thread on a mid-sized message board was impacting the outcome of cards games. Eventually the pressure on poor dill became so great he asked me to lock it.

It was a GRB low point.
that's hilarious
less than a week ago we weren't even in first place.. now we have a magic number thread.. also hilarious
Agreed.
Well, it's not like we're a game up...we're now 4.5 with 3 in hand in the loss column

And we have the 3rd lowest E number in the majors, only behind the Dodgers (43) and the Yankees (43)

So, is it really all that ridiculous?

Faceman
Perennial All-Star

Post by Faceman »

Alot of people wanted the '06 number thread locked because it's baseball, and superstition is a huge part of it.

Obviously, no one actually thought the thread had anything to do with the Cards faltering down the stretch.

Have you ever gone back to the same bar to watch a playoff game where you watched Game 7 vs. the Mets? Or wore the same shirt?

Same thing. Silly superstition. But part of the game and part of the fandom.

JackofDiamonds
Bringer of Boston Baked Blue Balls

Post by JackofDiamonds »

Faceman wrote:Alot of people wanted the '06 number thread locked because it's baseball, and superstition is a huge part of it.

Obviously, no one actually thought the thread had anything to do with the Cards faltering down the stretch.

Have you ever gone back to the same bar to watch a playoff game where you watched Game 7 vs. the Mets? Or wore the same shirt?

I ordered the same pizza and drank the same tequilla for every home game of the '06 playoffs. I played Dream Weaver on youtube before every Weaver start, and I still wear the same hat when I watch the games at home.

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Post by jim »

JS04 wrote:
jim wrote:
omaha_red wrote:
haltz wrote:

It was a GRB low point.
that's hilarious
Agreed.
Well, it's not like we're a game up...we're now 4.5 with 3 in hand in the loss column

And we have the 3rd lowest E number in the majors, only behind the Dodgers (43) and the Yankees (43)

Call me a creature of habit, but until Labor Day I try not to think about it. It seems early to me to go on a magic number countdown and we aren't even to mid August yet. I saw those playoff odds, and we have a 20% chance of not even playing postseason baseball.

I feel really confident about this team, and will be mightily disappointed if we don't win the division. Just not in the mood to start counting down yet is all.

And I admit, I'm superstitious with this stuff and wish Michael would lock this thing before something bad happens.

JS04
All-Star

Post by JS04 »

jim wrote:
JS04 wrote:
jim wrote:
omaha_red wrote:
haltz wrote:

It was a GRB low point.
that's hilarious
Agreed.

Call me a creature of habit, but until Labor Day I try not to think about it. It seems early to me to go on a magic number countdown and we aren't even to mid August yet. I saw those playoff odds, and we have a 20% chance of not even playing postseason baseball.

I feel really confident about this team, and will be mightily disappointed if we don't win the division. Just not in the mood to start counting down yet is all.

And I admit, I'm superstitious with this stuff and wish Michael would lock this thing before something bad happens.
lol...I brought up the idea but refused to start the thread because of my superstition...so I agree with you there

So do we delete this thread and revisit it when its 30? 25?

I guess the fun of it is posting pictures of whatever number it is after a Cubs loss or Cards win...I always enjoyed that...AND I'm super excited that we're in a legit pennant race and control our own destiny this late in the season for the first time since 2006...

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

JS04 wrote: So do we delete this thread and revisit it when its 30? 25?
That's up to cards2468. It's his thread.

Personally, I think you guys are nuts. :wink:

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

JackofDiamonds wrote:
Faceman wrote:Alot of people wanted the '06 number thread locked because it's baseball, and superstition is a huge part of it.

I ordered the same pizza and drank the same tequilla for every home game of the '06 playoffs. I played Dream Weaver on youtube before every Weaver start, and I still wear the same hat when I watch the games at home.
I played 'I love a Rainy night' and would drink Budweiser and Johnny Walker Red and smoke Marlboro Reds thinking that the Red Vibe was good luck. I don't smoke all that much, so the Reds usually gave me a buzz