Update: HOLLIDAY A CARD 7yr/120 million, p178

Classic threads for your viewing pleasure.
AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Re: Update: HOLLIDAY A CARD 7yr/120 million, p178

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

haltz wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
haltz wrote:I wasn't privy to the discussions, but the idea that we were bidding against the threat of a one-year deal is funny to me. I think we beat that with the initial 5/85 offer.
Why? Has a Boras a Boras client never taken a 1 year deal when he didn't get the deal Boras was seeking?
When it is in his best interests to do so, yes, but there is a line there somewhere where it doesn't make sense. Beltre had a [expletive] year last year and is going to play in a hitters park, Holliday did not. Holliday also didn't get nearly the money he was seeking initially (Tex $), so where's the line?

If Boras and Holliday said '$119m, a penny less and we're going to take a one-year deal and re-enter the market next year' and the Cards bought it, then I guess that's why Boras is the best at what he does.
I don't know what their bottom line was. But I think it's in the realm of possibilities for Boras to get Holliday a 1/20-25 deal and re-test the waters. If what you are saying is true, why did the Cardinals even offer anything, why not just offer 5/50 at that point?

Regarding holliday's ability and projections and the fact that he went on the market, I think it's pretty lucky no one else drove up the price and a great move by the FO to not [expletive] foot around when they had a prime opportunity to lock him up.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

TimeForGuinness wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
cards2468 wrote:
Jocephus wrote:matt looks good in a suit...in a heterosexual way
every straight man is allowed 1 man crush at a time, choose wisely (saying he looks good in a suit doesn't commit you to him though)
I've commited mine to AW. Now AW used his on Matt Holliday. I feel so used. I got played.
I bet Waino is texting Holliday right now.
That's alright. It was fun whilst it lasted. I guess I'll just have to drown my sorrows while watching AL beat up on TX tonight.

docellis
America's Most Beloved Twitter Joke Thief

Post by docellis »

Anybody know where video of the press conference is?

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

docellis wrote:Anybody know where video of the press conference is?
http://mlb.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?cont ... 6&c_id=mlb

im watching it from this link...hopefully it works...with mlb.com you never know

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

I believe this is a complete list of Cardinals who wore #7. Let me know if I missed any.

1932: Ray Blades
1933-40: Joe Medwick
1941-42: Frank “Creepy” Crespi
1943-45: George Fallon
1946-47: Nippy Jones
1946: Lou Klein
1947-50: Irv Dusak
1951-56, 59: Solly Hemus
1956: Rocky Nelson
1957-58: Del Ennis
1966: Pat Corrales
1968: Johnny Edwards
1969: Bill White
1973: Larry Haney
1974-76: Reggie Smith
1976: Sam Mejias
1977-79: Roger Freed
1980: Joe DeSa
1983: Jeff Doyle
1984-85: Art Howe
1985: Cesar Cedeno
1991-92: Geronimo Pena
1993: Terry McGriff
1994: Darnell Coles
1994-95: Tripp Comer
1997-98: Delino DeShields
1999-2003: JD Drew
2004-06: Hector Luna
2006: Ronnie Belliard
2007-08: Adam Kennedy
2009: Mark DeRosa
2010-16: Matt Holliday

1960-65, 67, 70-72, 81-82, 86-90, 96: Not Worn

Fan_In_NY
Perennial All-Star

Post by Fan_In_NY »

Some of the best years it wasnt worn

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
cards2468 wrote:
Jocephus wrote:matt looks good in a suit...in a heterosexual way
every straight man is allowed 1 man crush at a time, choose wisely (saying he looks good in a suit doesn't commit you to him though)
I've commited mine to AW. Now AW used his on Matt Holliday. I feel so used. I got played.
Mine was Brett Wallace...

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

From Olney:
1. If the view of the Cardinals' $120 million deal with Matt Holliday isn't unanimous on the side of baseball management, it's pretty darned close. "Given what was in front of the Cardinals, that will go down as one of the worst deals in major league history," one MLB official said. "I have to give [Scott] Boras credit -- he managed to get them to bid against themselves. After the Mets signed [Jason] Bay, everybody pretty much knew who was in and who was out. No Yankees, no Red Sox, no Mets, no Dodgers, no Angels -- and he still got $120 million. Incredible."

Some respected negotiators on both sides -- veteran agents and baseball executives -- offered identical takes on how, in their eyes, the contract talks should have shifted after the Mets reached an agreement with Jason Bay. Said one longtime agent: "At that point, the Cardinals should have called [Boras] and said, 'You know that other offer we had on the table? Well, it's obsolete. We're now offering you $80 million for five years, and you've got 48 hours to make a decision.' I don't think Boras would have had a choice but to make a deal."

And there continues to be great surprise that the Cardinals put themselves on a course in which they have to devote such a large share of their payroll to two players, which absolutely goes against the current industry trend among teams that don't have mega-payrolls, such as the Yankees and Boston. Joe Strauss has specifics on the Cardinals' plan here. Holliday will wear No. 7, writes Derrick Goold.
http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/in ... ney_buster

haha wow

Richie Allen
Perennial All-Star

Post by Richie Allen »

Michael wrote: Said one longtime agent: "At that point, the Cardinals should have called [Boras] and said, 'You know that other offer we had on the table? Well, it's obsolete. We're now offering you $80 million for five years, and you've got 48 hours to make a decision.' I don't think Boras would have had a choice but to make a deal."
Some wishful thinking there. This isn't an auction. Holliday could have easily said forget the Cardinals after that. And that's the kind of management that gets your employees or potential employees hating you.

I can only imagine the editorials after someone else swooped in and stole Holliday out from underneath us after we tried to be too cute with our negotiating. Am I correct in assuming, if these writers tell the truth, that if the Cardinals had not been interested in Holliday that he probably wouldn't have a job this summer?
Last edited by Richie Allen on January 8 10, 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eephus Speed
All-Star

Post by Eephus Speed »

While I'm tempted to believe we could have had Holliday for 5/85 or 6/100, that's a stupendous overreaction.