GDT 10/7/11-Cards (Carpenter) @ Phillies (Halladay) 7:37 CDT

Classic threads for your viewing pleasure.
heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Re: GDT 10/7/11-Cards (Carpenter) @ Phillies (Halladay) 7:37

Post by heyzeus »

I'm still in awe of what Carp did there. Stunning night.

btw, Howard may have torn his achilles tendon. Such a sad way for that to end for the Phils.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

With Ryan Howard (ACL) potentially out six-to-twelve months, the player who stands to gain the most is outfielder Domonic Brown.
While the torn ACL prognosis is speculation, a best-case scenario would put Howard's recovery time at April 10, 2012. Assuming manager Charlie Manuel shifts John Mayberry to first base, that would open a full-time job in left field for Brown, who turned 24 in September. The team will have to make a decision on him next season as he has moved back-and-forth in the minors since 2008. While the front office emphasized his talents a year ago there are some within the organization that do not believe he can be an everyday player. In six seasons Brown's posted .261/.391/.459 at the MILB level.
Related: John Mayberry, Ryan Howard
Source: Philadelphia Inquirer Oct 8 - 11:11 AM

Cronos
In perpetuum

Post by Cronos »

Popeye_Card wrote:[2006 NLCS] gets my vote
Sad as it is, I didn't get to watch that one. I was driving from KC to STL in a horrible rainstorm, desperately trying to hear ESPN on the radio of the game that kept going in and out.

I only got home in time to see the 8th inning on. Which was good enough on its own, honestly.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

Cronos wrote:
Popeye_Card wrote:[2006 NLCS] gets my vote
Sad as it is, I didn't get to watch that one. I was driving from KC to STL in a horrible rainstorm, desperately trying to hear ESPN on the radio of the game that kept going in and out.

I only got home in time to see the 8th inning on. Which was good enough on its own, honestly.
Oh man was that game intense. I highly encourage you to find (or rent) the DVD of that game and watch it. Of the 2006 World Series box set, that is the game I have watched more times than the rest combined.

Cronos
In perpetuum

Post by Cronos »

Ha, I've seen it since about 3 times. No worries there.

That series was even more unbelievable just as far as that series made just zero baseball sense. The Mets were so much better a team than we were. Very similar to this series.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

So after having time to sober up and let everything sink in--i am still in awe of what happened last night.

Simply amazing.

-Carp: what more can you possibly say about him other than the fact he is nothing but a freakin warrior. He goes out there in game 2 and absolutely craps the bed but luckily the offense and stellar bullpen was able to bail him out. So what does he do to make up for it? He goes out and throws a complete game in game 5 against the juggernaut. I believe he only had two 3 ball counts and if i'm not mistaken only one runner that made it to scoring position.

-Furcal: dude has stepped up big in key situations since we got him. Admittedly i was little skeptical of the pickup, but since it didn't cost us much, what the hell. Last night the move to acquire him paid dividends. Lead-off triple that scores the game's only run and then a game saving out in the 8th(?). If we can sign him cheaply in the off-season, I'm all for it.

-Jon Jay: Does Colby make that catch? Key moment in the game as well. Hard hit ball by Utley that Jay had to track down. I'm not sure if colby gets that.

-LaRussa: didn't really understand pulling freese for descalso so soon, but it's moves like this that I'm just going to have to learn to live with. Thank you for not pulling carp although i don't think there was ever any way he would have unless he got into a real bad situation. Also, it was great to see some emotion from LaRussa--in a post-game interview, he nearly lost it while talking about his team. It was also nice to see him hamming up it in the other interview.

-Mo: well it looks like his mid-season moves are paying off. I'll give him props.

-RallySquirrel: Probably the biggest key in our victory last night. Didn't do anything out of the ordinary--just showed up and did his thing.

-TortyCraig: been quiet throughout the series, but was definitely a calming presence throughout.

All around great series. Can't ask for a better match-up and game 5 was probably one for the ages--at least i'll never forget it.

fanforever
Retired

Post by fanforever »

speaking of Ryan Howard...his career may be over IMO. How many baseball players that weigh over 260 lbs an swing with a batting stance like his rebound from a severe injury like that?

Dillagii
Perennial All-Star

Post by Dillagii »

fanforever wrote:speaking of Ryan Howard...his career may be over IMO. How many baseball players that weigh over 260 lbs an swing with a batting stance like his rebound from a severe injury like that?
And his 5 yrs 125 million dollars contract kicks in today. Literally.

ilstu24
All-Star

Post by ilstu24 »

Maybe they would still trade Ryan Howard for Pujols? Hahaha. What a joke. Of course you would. We would also trade Ryan Theriot for Troy Tulowitzki.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

ilstu24 wrote:Maybe they would still trade Ryan Howard for Pujols? Hahaha. What a joke. Of course you would. We would also trade Ryan Theriot for Troy Tulowitzki.
Hell, I'd trade Ryan Theriot for Clint Barmes.