GDT 10/7/11-Cards (Carpenter) @ Phillies (Halladay) 7:37 CDT

Classic threads for your viewing pleasure.
clevername
Bringer of FRBG

Re: GDT 10/7/11-Cards (Carpenter) @ Phillies (Halladay) 7:37

Post by clevername »

yeah, that's what I thought.

cpebbles
Perennial All-Star

Post by cpebbles »

clevername wrote:is it his ACL or his Achilles? It looked like an Achilles injury and that's all I've read about before seeing Jocephus' post.
I'm guessing the copy guy at rotoworld or wherever that's taken from doesn't realize they're two different things.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Ryan Howard has indeed been diagnosed with a ruptured Achilles tendon and will undergo offseason surgery.
Howard suffered the injury on the final play of Friday night's crushing NLDS Game 5 loss to the Cardinals. He's likely to miss the entire first half of the 2012 season, and could even be out the entire year. It's a major blow to the Phillies, who owe him $125 million over the next five seasons.
Source: Danny Knobler on Twitter Oct 8 - 9:19 PM

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

That's too bad. I like Howard - fun player to watch. Hope he's not out too long.

Hungary Jack
Mother Earth

Post by Hungary Jack »

Jocephus wrote:
Ryan Howard has indeed been diagnosed with a ruptured Achilles tendon and will undergo offseason surgery.
Howard suffered the injury on the final play of Friday night's crushing NLDS Game 5 loss to the Cardinals. He's likely to miss the entire first half of the 2012 season, and could even be out the entire year. It's a major blow to the Phillies, who owe him $125 million over the next five seasons.
Yeah, he will miss most of next year. That's a tough injury, especially for a big man. I don't know enough about the lower leg mechanics of hitting a baseball, but I think the ability to drive your hips off your back leg is pretty darned important, and this requires locking your heel. Hopefully he has a full recover.

Imagine is Howard had crushed that ball over the fence? What is the ruling if he cannot circle the bases?

Lesson
Grandmaster Flashchat

Post by Lesson »

Hungary Jack wrote:
Jocephus wrote:
Yeah, he will miss most of next year. That's a tough injury, especially for a big man. I don't know enough about the lower leg mechanics of hitting a baseball, but I think the ability to drive your hips off your back leg is pretty darned important, and this requires locking your heel. Hopefully he has a full recover.

Imagine is Howard had crushed that ball over the fence? What is the ruling if he cannot circle the bases?
Berkman tore his achillies in '04, I believe. Had surgery in November. Was back in mid-May.

Cronos
In perpetuum

Post by Cronos »

Hungary Jack wrote:Imagine is Howard had crushed that ball over the fence? What is the ruling if he cannot circle the bases?
I imagine he would have happily crawled around the bases if necessary at that point.

Yeesh...what a "Bloody Sock" moment that would have been for the Phillies. They could have ridden that all the way to a trophy.

Lesson
Grandmaster Flashchat

Post by Lesson »

Is it possible for someone to PR for a HR?

Cronos
In perpetuum

Post by Cronos »

I'm still pouring through highlights, and I still can't get over that play by Furcal in the 8th inning. Like someone said in the thread, that was Ozzy-esque. The slow-mo of that is incredible. He makes the play, gets up, spins, guns it to first just in time to get Ruiz.

How huge was his acquisition? Seriously. Pay the man his money. I want him signed yesterday.

docellis
America's Most Beloved Twitter Joke Thief

Post by docellis »

Yadier Molina
I TOLD YOU...LeT's GO CARDS...LeT's GO CARDS...LeT's GO CARDS...LeT's GO CARDS...LeT's GO CARDS...LeT's GO CARDS...LeT's GO CARDS...