GDT 10/28/11-Rangers (Harrison) @ Cards (Carpenter) 7:05 CDT

Classic threads for your viewing pleasure.
Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Re: GDT 10/28/11-Rangers (Harrison) @ Cards (Carpenter) 7:05

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

cards2468 wrote: It sucks for them, but the Cardinals did earn it. The Cardinals made plenty of mistakes, but played that much better to make up for it.
They sure did. Except for the final 8 innings of game 7, Texas kept coming and coming and coming and the Cardinals answered enough to come out on top. A hell of an accomplishment. And it was no easier with Philadelphia and the Brewers. They went toe to toe with the best and beat them all. Very impressive.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

greenback44 wrote:
cards2468 wrote:
heyzeus wrote:needs more Cowboys analogies.
The whole time reading it, I couldn't help but think I don't feel bad for a fan base that views baseball as just something to fill the gap between football seasons. Seems like that's all we faced in October.
Presumably the emphasis has changed with the Rangers' success, but when I lived there back in the 1980s, Cowboys training camp was always the leading sports story.

Also, Randy Galloway was a hack.
I've lived in Dallas and Milwaukee and of the 2, the Cheeseheads give baseball more notice, but it still takes a backseat to football as soon as training camp starts. Out here in Denver, it's the worst I've seen. Even in 2007 ("Rocktober"), the Rockies playoff run and WS appearance was pushed aside in the local media if one of the Broncos players had a hangnail.

BigDCardlvr
All-Star

Post by BigDCardlvr »

Nelson Cruz not getting much love around here. And the cards didn't win, tx gave it to them

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

BigDCardlvr wrote:Nelson Cruz not getting much love around here. And the cards didn't win, tx gave it to them
Your thoughts, or the consensus in Dallas?

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

I'm tired of hearing that the cards didn't earn it. That's all they can talk about here in nashville and it begins with 'well Atlanta totally gave it to them...'

True atl collapsed but the cards still had to win their games. They earned it.

Its not like they were some fly by night team...they have a future hall of fame manager, the best player in the game, all stars, and gold glove. If they had a half decent bulllpen the whole year--everyone would be talking about how they had the best record in baseball.

They beat the best pitching staff assembled in year, a team practically unbeatable at home, and then one of the best lineups in baseball.

Yea. Right place right time.

Haters gon hate.

BigDCardlvr
All-Star

Post by BigDCardlvr »

Freed Roger wrote:
BigDCardlvr wrote:Nelson Cruz not getting much love around here. And the cards didn't win, tx gave it to them
Your thoughts, or the consensus in Dallas?
Consensus in Dallas.

Sure you can hate on crux for laying up on that, but they got the lead right back and couldn't keep the back up defensive replacements off base for the second time around.

cards2468
Hall Of Famer

Post by cards2468 »

You can win or lose your games anywhere in the season. We lost a bulk of ours in the middle. Atlanta lost a bulk of their games at the end. That's why they play all of the games.

Guess what... Atlanta's bullpen was a major strength for a good portion of the season. It covered up the weakness of their rotation due to injuries there. Our bullpen stunk, but we kept it fresh and reconstructed it. Down the stretch, Atlanta's abused bullpen collapsed while the Cardinals bullpen was lights out. As Tony always says... the season is a marathon, not a sprint. We may not have won 100 games, but we won enough games, and that's all that matters.

Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.

Post by Leroy »

Well, if Atlanta gave it to St. Louis, I offer up my thanks.

Plus I'd hate to have to watch Braves fans go through another World Series loss.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

Another talking point is that the only reason the cards won was because of homefield advantage and that Texas was screwed because of that.

2 things:

- cj wilson served up a game losing homerun in the allstar game
- wouldn't the cards have had homefield anyway according to the old method?

cards2468
Hall Of Famer

Post by cards2468 »

go birds wrote:Another talking point is that the only reason the cards won was because of homefield advantage and that Texas was screwed because of that.

2 things:

- cj wilson served up a game losing homerun in the allstar game
- wouldn't the cards have had homefield anyway according to the old method?
Freese's triple would have been a home run in Texas

Cardinals kicked the snot out of Texas in 1 game in Texas. Straight up lost another, and gave away the 3rd game. I guess they could hope the phone would have screwed us for 4 games instead of 3, but it really didn't seem to make a difference where we played.