Pujols Signs With Angels

Classic threads for your viewing pleasure.
Socnorb11
The Last Word

Re: Pujols Signs With Angels

Post by Socnorb11 »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
vinsanity wrote:
jagtrader wrote:People who feel underappreciated and underpaid usually have face-to-face interaction with their bosses, fears about job security and daily concerns about paying bills, taking care of kids, etc. Let's not pretend this in any way relates to Average Joe.
I took AW's statement more about the 'conflicted' feelings Albert had. At my last job I was underpaid. By about 25%. But I needed the experience/job and had one foot out the door almost immediately. Even when I was offered nearly a 50% raise elsewhere I was still conflicted. I still felt bad leaving a company that had, for the most part, done quite a bit for me and paid me what they could based on the business model.

I don't think he was trying to equate any pro-athlete's life to the Average Joe's, just how you can feel conflicted about make a monetary decision.
Right, there are two parts, money and appreciation, obviously AP is set for life after his first contract. The appreciation he felt is way different from the Cardinals (7-10 year deal) vs the Angels (10 year deal with 10 year service clause to be the face of the franchise after he retires). That's......huge. Plus, more re$pect. 20 year guaranteed deal vs 7 year with incentives to take it to 10. I can certainly understand and appreciate the difference there...

The 10 year service deal is irrelevant, in my opinion. Do you honestly think that the Cardinals were going to tell Albert to get lost when he retires?

cards2468
Hall Of Famer

Post by cards2468 »

ghostrunner wrote:
cards2468 wrote:
Spider John wrote:I think things were already moving too fast for the Pujols', and then they were pushed by the Angels deadline and overwhelming offer. They made their decision, and are now experiencing the "oh no, what have we done???" feeling.
And 10 years down the road he's going to do an exclusive interview with Bob Costas and break down crying saying how much he regrets the decision. And I won't give a [expletive], you made your bed Albert, sleep in it.
I bet he's over it once the season starts, if not sooner. I doubt he even regrets it now. He just feels bad about the situation and is trying poorly to fix it. It's not like he just chose to be a lumberjack when he should have been a dentist. He wanted more money and took a ridiculously high paying job doing what he loves in LA. I don't think anyone regrets this in a year, except maybe some fans. The stuff he said in 2009 was him trying a little too hard to come off like a good guy, and maybe he even believed it at the time.
He'll be over it, but I think when his career reaches and end he'll look back and think about how great of a legacy he missed out on having.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Socnorb11 wrote: If there were others who were obviously better than me, then I wouldn't have a problem being the 3rd highest paid. Maybe that's just me.
Please list these people of whom you speak that are better than AP over the past 10 years.

And remember, players get paid in their 2nd contract for what they did in their first.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

cards2468 wrote:
ghostrunner wrote:
cards2468 wrote:
Spider John wrote:I think things were already moving too fast for the Pujols', and then they were pushed by the Angels deadline and overwhelming offer. They made their decision, and are now experiencing the "oh no, what have we done???" feeling.
And 10 years down the road he's going to do an exclusive interview with Bob Costas and break down crying saying how much he regrets the decision. And I won't give a [expletive], you made your bed Albert, sleep in it.
I bet he's over it once the season starts, if not sooner. I doubt he even regrets it now. He just feels bad about the situation and is trying poorly to fix it. It's not like he just chose to be a lumberjack when he should have been a dentist. He wanted more money and took a ridiculously high paying job doing what he loves in LA. I don't think anyone regrets this in a year, except maybe some fans. The stuff he said in 2009 was him trying a little too hard to come off like a good guy, and maybe he even believed it at the time.
He'll be over it, but I think when his career reaches and end he'll look back and think about how great of a legacy he missed out on having.

Yeah, how could he NOT think that. The guy would have to have no soul to not recognize that, in my opinion.

cards2468
Hall Of Famer

Post by cards2468 »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
Socnorb11 wrote: If there were others who were obviously better than me, then I wouldn't have a problem being the 3rd highest paid. Maybe that's just me.
Please list these people of whom you speak that are better than AP over the past 10 years.

And remember, players get paid in their 2nd contract for what they did in their first.
Such a stupid concept that I'm glad the Cardinals don't believe in.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

Socnorb11 wrote: The 10 year service deal is irrelevant, in my opinion. Do you honestly think that the Cardinals were going to tell Albert to get lost when he retires?
I have no idea. I doubt it. I can't guarantee it though. You know what I can guarantee, however? AP will be around the Angels of Anaheim, Los Angelas, California for 10 years after he retires. Re$pect.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

cards2468 wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:

Such a stupid concept that I'm glad the Cardinals don't believe in.
But, nevertheless true.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:

Remember, 32 year old players typically do not get 10 year contract, it's pretty much that simple. Maybe Albert thought he deserved to be the exception, based on what he'd accomplished. The second part of your statement is a standard caveat. Consider my first sentence here to be a rebuttal to that caveat.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
Socnorb11 wrote: The 10 year service deal is irrelevant, in my opinion. Do you honestly think that the Cardinals were going to tell Albert to get lost when he retires?
I have no idea. I doubt it. I can't guarantee it though. You know what I can guarantee, however? AP will be around the Angels of Anaheim, Los Angelas, California for 10 years after he retires. Re$pect.

I'm not sure you can guarantee that. We have no idea what the service contract says.

Be realistic. You honestly think that was a sticking point? Has there EVER been a Cardinal legend that wasn't welcomed as part of their family?

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

Socnorb11 wrote: I'm not sure you can guarantee that. We have no idea what the service contract says.
Yes. Yes. I can. I can guarantee it with as much certainty as I can guarantee that he got a 10 year deal worth 250 million plus.