GRB H2H Keeper 2010 Thread

Talk about fantasy sports here
planet planet
http://tinyurl.com/2e4x5hy

Re: GRB H2H Keeper 2010 Thread

Post by planet planet »

Swirls wrote:
  • Time for my questions regarding potential keepers for next year:
    • Do you guys think Jose Bautista is worthy of a keeper slot? I don't see him repeating his 40+ homer campaign next year (sort of like Ludwick's breakout in 2008), but he could manage 25-30 HR next year I think.
    • Would you consider Neil Walker to be a keeper? He's only 24, with a .840 OPS from 2B in a hair over 300 PA.
    • Should I go ahead and drop Strasburg since he's going to be out the entire year for TJ? Yes he dominated the league when he started, and I'm sure he'll dominate it once he returns, but I don't know that I really want to stash him on my roster as a keeper for an entire year knowing he won't be playing at all.
Thoughts? I already have a few no brainer keepers... McCann, Tulo, Pedroia and Waino. Reynolds is a possibility, as well as potential guys like Soria and Bailey, and then there are these guys.
I'd keep Reynolds over all three of those guys. I'd make Bautista my 6th keeper and call it a day. Beware of the sophomore slump/limited # of plate appearances/on the Pirates on Walker. I'd drop Strasburg too since he's useless next year.

My question, I mistakenly kept Zobrist this year. Was he a flash in the pan?

Lesson
Grandmaster Flashchat

Post by Lesson »

planet pujolsian wrote:
He's played 3 full years for the Rays. Of the 3, 2009 was a career high for him in almost every category. Is he useful for a fantasy team? Yes. Is he keeper worthy? No.

redbirdjazzz
Perennial All-Star

Post by redbirdjazzz »

cardslesson101 wrote:
planet pujolsian wrote:
He's played 3 full years for the Rays. Of the 3, 2009 was a career high for him in almost every category. Is he useful for a fantasy team? Yes. Is he keeper worthy? No.
He's probably more useful for a real team than fantasy, just because his defense at 2b is so good.

Richie Allen
Perennial All-Star

Post by Richie Allen »

I don't think anyone expected that kind of power out of him but he did it (HR every 17 ABs) for a year and a half so you had to consider him a legitimate power threat. He's probably now more along the lines of what they expected from him (perhaps a little less power) and could still be helpful to a fantasy team. If you think about guys like Brian Roberts considered a top 50 fantasy player before this year started (and I was dumb enough to keep him) you won't feel as bad about holding onto Zobrist.

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

planet pujolsian wrote:
Swirls wrote:
  • Time for my questions regarding potential keepers for next year:
    • Do you guys think Jose Bautista is worthy of a keeper slot? I don't see him repeating his 40+ homer campaign next year (sort of like Ludwick's breakout in 2008), but he could manage 25-30 HR next year I think.
    • Would you consider Neil Walker to be a keeper? He's only 24, with a .840 OPS from 2B in a hair over 300 PA.
    • Should I go ahead and drop Strasburg since he's going to be out the entire year for TJ? Yes he dominated the league when he started, and I'm sure he'll dominate it once he returns, but I don't know that I really want to stash him on my roster as a keeper for an entire year knowing he won't be playing at all.
Thoughts? I already have a few no brainer keepers... McCann, Tulo, Pedroia and Waino. Reynolds is a possibility, as well as potential guys like Soria and Bailey, and then there are these guys.
I'd keep Reynolds over all three of those guys. I'd make Bautista my 6th keeper and call it a day. Beware of the sophomore slump/limited # of plate appearances/on the Pirates on Walker. I'd drop Strasburg too since he's useless next year.

Yeah, I must admit that I didn't do my initial digging into Walker's sparkly OPS in limited action - there was an article posted on Fangraphs a couple days ago that shed some light and basically answered my question for me. He's got an unsustainable BABIP, not walking much, and striking out a lot, so he's definitely due for some regression. Hopefully it will happen next year and not this year. So he's definitely not gonna be a keeper for me.

As for Zobrist, do you consider him to be one of the top 15-20 offensive 2B (since he'll be eligible there again in 2011). He's down this year, but managed 12 HR in a little over 200 PA in 2008, and obviously the monster year last year. Plus he plays half of his games in Tampa, so it will help his offensive numbers versus playing in someplace like PETCO. I'd still think he's worthy of a keeper slot, although I don't know if I'd make him one of your top 2 or 3. Maybe make him #5 or #6 to make sure you get your absolute definites in first (i.e. Lee, Pujols, Mauer).

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

clevername and I tied this week

I'm the peoples champion no matter what though

clevername
Bringer of FRBG

Post by clevername »

can't believe I ended up winning. Won the regular season, then all my good players got hurt and I gave up hope on the playoffs.

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

clevername, I thought I had you going into the end of the first round of the playoffs... Then my pitchers decided to completely [expletive] the bed over that weekend. I managed to beat fan_in_ny to take 3rd place though.

JackofDiamonds
Bringer of Boston Baked Blue Balls

Post by JackofDiamonds »

I had an awesome season.

$48.

planet planet
http://tinyurl.com/2e4x5hy

Post by planet planet »

When do we need to start thinking about firing this bad boy up?