On the verge of landing Heyward

Talk about fantasy sports here
Swingingbunt
All-Star

Re: On the verge of landing Heyward

Post by Swingingbunt »

cards2468 wrote:
mikechamp wrote:I would not be happy if the Cards sent Miller & Cox away for a corner OF.
I'd be interested in seeing how many other people feel that way.

Elite arms are very hard to find, but he's also never pitched above AA and pitchers seem to fall apart all the time. I've had so many big prospects bust that I don't value them as highly as young players already in the bigs.

edit* I don't know if it means anything or not, but Marc Hulet at fangraphs estimates Shelby's peak WAR level to be 5.5. At age 20, Heyward reached 5.1.
FWIW, that 5.5 WAR would be good enough to make Miller a top 10 pitcher in the MLB in each of the last 10 years except for 2009.
Heyward would be in that same range as a top 10 outfielder in the MLB with a mid 5 WAR. I only bring that up because if you're gonna trade Miller for Heyward, at least try to do it straight up based on that. I wouldn't do it for two reasons, though: 1. Your pitching staff; and 2. I feel like I can pick up a slightly above league average corner outfielder (especially if you only use offensive stats) in fantasy baseball a lot easier than I can find a slightly above league average pitcher...but maybe that's an incorrect perception on my part.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

While the predictions bolster my stance, I still wouldn't have changed my mind. Corner OFs are something the Cards are actually good at drafting (partly because it's not too hard to do). I'm not giving away a potential 1-2 starter and a promising corner IF for something even Luhnow can find.

(And yes, I know we're discussing this in a fantasy sports forum, but the conversation drifted to reality.)

cards2468
Hall Of Famer

Post by cards2468 »

good advice everybody

I went ahead and told him I wouldn't add anybody to Miller and said that I project both guys to be about 5-6 WAR in their prime, which would make Miller a much more rare specimen than Heyward.

cpebbles
Perennial All-Star

Post by cpebbles »

cards2468 wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:I wonder what cpebbles thinks.
Yea... he wouldn't like it at all, but I think Heyward will be a stud. Severely unlucky 2011, normalize his BABIP and he's much closer to that .270/.400/.500 line.
It hasn't been bad luck. He's been popping up on the infield nearly 10% of the time at the plate. Maybe that improves when his shoulder gets stronger, but then he's back to a .270/.370/.450 hitter in a best realistic case scenario. He's just not going to hit a lot of HRs with his swing and his inability to center the ball.

cards2468
Hall Of Famer

Post by cards2468 »

cpebbles wrote:
cards2468 wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:I wonder what cpebbles thinks.
Yea... he wouldn't like it at all, but I think Heyward will be a stud. Severely unlucky 2011, normalize his BABIP and he's much closer to that .270/.400/.500 line.
It hasn't been bad luck. He's been popping up on the infield nearly 10% of the time at the plate. Maybe that improves when his shoulder gets stronger, but then he's back to a .270/.370/.450 hitter in a best realistic case scenario. He's just not going to hit a lot of HRs with his swing and his inability to center the ball.
He is only 21. I'd imagine he can heal and should be able to develop a little further with his swing.

cards2468
Hall Of Famer

Post by cards2468 »

alright, what do you guys think of Miller + Mike Moustakas for Heyward and Brandon Beachy?

EDIT* My team would look like this in a couple years

2b Jemile Weeks
3b Brett Lawrie
rf Jason Heyward
dh Anthony Rendon
1b Justin Smoak
lf Kyle Blanks
c Alex Avila
cf Dexter Fowler
ss Jose Iglesias

Rotation
Jordan Zimmermann
Phil Hughes
Brandon Beachy
Brian Matusz
Zach Britton

cards2468
Hall Of Famer

Post by cards2468 »

He turned down Shelby+Mous for Heyward+Beachy. Oh well, I think I would have been losing that deal anyway.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

He did you a favor.

Keep your hand away from the trade button for a while. Or, try and ship away one of the O's SPs. They're going to be living in the land of suck for a while.

cards2468
Hall Of Famer

Post by cards2468 »

mikechamp wrote:He did you a favor.

Keep your hand away from the trade button for a while. Or, try and ship away one of the O's SPs. They're going to be living in the land of suck for a while.
Matusz and Britton's value is awfully low right now, I'm pretty confident both will end up being solid talents. Since this is a sim league, it's not as driven by team performance.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

What is the difference between a sim league and a fantasy league?