Medicare for All

Political and religious discussions go here. Tread lightly.

Medicare for All

Unequivocally back MFA
52%
In favor and will vote for a candidate accordingly, but want to see what that means for me re: increased taxes vs. reduced premiums and expenses
21%
Want a public option, but also the option to keep my current employer provided health insurance
28%
Oppose MFA
No votes

Total votes: 29
planet planet
http://tinyurl.com/2e4x5hy

Medicare for All

Post by planet planet »

Curious to see where everyone stands on this topic.
Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Re: Medicare for All

Post by Freed Roger »

I still am sorting this out. But for now I am full-on medicare for all. Definitely don't care about the tax crap. There can hardly be a way that healthcare costs more under MFA when you add it all up -just a matter of who pays what.

And unhinging health insurance from employment seems to be a major advantage for businesses in global competitiveness. Start making it piecemeal MFA, and it won't work. It will constantly be under sabotage attack by states etc, like obamacare.

Obviously, like current medicare there would probably be some supplemental medical insurance.
Last edited by Freed Roger on October 17 19, 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

I find all the excuses for not doing it ludicrous when other countries are doing very similar programs. It will cost a lot but it will save a lot - lives and money.
IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

I'm 100 percent for MFA. It's time to destroy the insurance companies, cease their assets, and use them for good. They have killed people in the name of profits too long.
Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

Under a M4A program, what would it mean for HSAs (and by extension FSAs, I suppose)? Since I wouldn't be paying for healthcare expenses, would I just use it for other things in the IRSs broadly defined "healthcare" category instead (like massages or getting my back adjusted at the chiropractor)?
thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

I am unequivocally for M4A and the abolition of private insurance, except for possibly elective/cosmetic procedures and care.

The amount of hard choices sick people have to make weighing financial consequences vs getting proper care is horrendous and should be eradicated by any wealthy society as soon as possible. Even something as small as someone I know driving themselves 30 minutes to an ER while experiencing stroke symptoms because they didn't want a 6-figure ambulance bill drives me absolutely crazy.
Swirls wrote:Under a M4A program, what would it mean for HSAs (and by extension FSAs, I suppose)? Since I wouldn't be paying for healthcare expenses, would I just use it for other things in the IRSs broadly defined "healthcare" category instead (like massages or getting my back adjusted at the chiropractor)?
Or just withdraw the funds and pay the income tax you would have paid anyway if you hadn't contributed to your HSA.
Sutter'sBeard
is the oscar meyer weiner kid

Post by Sutter'sBeard »

I hate it that most americans have to continue to work when they are ready to retire just for because medical insurance is so damn expensive.
I think I could afford to retire in my late 50's or early sixtees but will not be able to if things remain the same. I bet a private policy will be well into the $1000+ per month range by then.
thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

thrill wrote:Or just withdraw the funds and pay the income tax you would have paid anyway if you hadn't contributed to your HSA.
Thinking about this further. It would be cool if the govt decided to [expletive] over the banks and let you do a one-time switch from an HSA to an IRA or other retirement savings scheme.
ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

thrill wrote:
thrill wrote:Or just withdraw the funds and pay the income tax you would have paid anyway if you hadn't contributed to your HSA.
Thinking about this further. It would be cool if the govt decided to [expletive] over the banks and let you do a one-time switch from an HSA to an IRA or other retirement savings scheme.
Choice between those seems like the most logical thing. We'll probably end up with some things not covered so I could see it being allowed to stay put and used for those expenses.
thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

ghostrunner wrote:Choice between those seems like the most logical thing. We'll probably end up with some things not covered so I could see it being allowed to stay put and used for those expenses.
Canada doesn't cover dentistry, so there's a likely target.