Immigration raids and deportations

Political and religious discussions go here. Tread lightly.
IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Re: Immigration raids and deportations

Post by IMADreamer »

TGantz wrote:Scary stuff.

Maybe I wasn't so crazy for supporting the 2nd amendment for the purpose of defending ourselves against our own government. This administration doesn't bother pretending to not be Nazis.

Yeah I'm sure you and your second amendment people are going to start fighting the government any day now. We are waiting for our armed crusaders. Where are you? Too busy hiding in your bunkers I suppose to escape those scary Muslims and Mexicans.
pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

TGantz wrote:Hillary lost me when she implied we should go to war with Russia. I didn't vote for Trump. But I was optimistic that was saying crazy [expletive] to get elected then make mostly financial changes and healthcare. Unfortunately, he's a psycho.

But regardless, it's the situation we're in. And it's scary.

Not sure where I said I want more guns. I'm referring to people thinking the 2nd amendment being there to defend from tyranny was a crazy, outdated concept. It's not.
Are you saying an illegal immigrant should arm themselves against immigration raids? Hell, I'd be on board with arresting them. Those are the folks we don't need or want here.

All people like me want are 100% background checks and for fewer insane people to have guns, and maybe for fewer toddlers shooting themselves or others accidentally. Nobody is saying to outlaw guns. And illegal immigrants probably should not be allowed to legally buy guns. The 2nd amendment doesn't apply to them, only citizens.

The "militias" that the founders had in mind were the ones all over the South that were there to quell slave uprisings. They never, ever intended for citizens to fight against the very government they were founding. That's called treason.
pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

Trump's America baby
ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

pioneer98 wrote:
TGantz wrote:Hillary lost me when she implied we should go to war with Russia. I didn't vote for Trump. But I was optimistic that was saying crazy [expletive] to get elected then make mostly financial changes and healthcare. Unfortunately, he's a psycho.

Not sure where I said I want more guns. I'm referring to people thinking the 2nd amendment being there to defend from tyranny was a crazy, outdated concept. It's not.
Are you saying an illegal immigrant should arm themselves against immigration raids? Hell, I'd be on board with arresting them. Those are the folks we don't need or want here.

All people like me want are 100% background checks and for fewer insane people to have guns, and maybe for fewer toddlers shooting themselves or others accidentally. Nobody is saying to outlaw guns. And illegal immigrants probably should not be allowed to legally buy guns. The 2nd amendment doesn't apply to them, only citizens.

The "militias" that the founders had in mind were the ones all over the South that were there to quell slave uprisings. They never, ever intended for citizens to fight against the very government they were founding. That's called treason.
I'm not sure this is true - seems like it's in dispute. One federal court has ruled they have the right, since as persons it's been decided they are entitled to the other rights. 3 other courts have said they don't. So it might go to Scotus at some point. I saw a good point that it would be more desirable to have them legally able to purcase them since they would be subject to background checks and less likely to try and obtain guns illegally.
pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

ghostrunner wrote:
pioneer98 wrote:

I'm not sure this is true - seems like it's in dispute. One federal court has ruled they have the right, since as persons it's been decided they are entitled to the other rights. 3 other courts have said they don't. So it might go to Scotus at some point. I saw a good point that it would be more desirable to have them legally able to purcase them since they would be subject to background checks and less likely to try and obtain guns illegally.
I favor 100% background checks and I don't know how an illegal immigrant passes one. Maybe they could.
ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

pioneer98 wrote:
ghostrunner wrote:
pioneer98 wrote:

I favor 100% background checks and I don't know how an illegal immigrant passes one. Maybe they could.
Not saying they do now, just that it seems up for debate whether they'd be entitled to 2a protections. They're protected under other amendments. The background check would be a hurdle since you have to be a citizen. Also not sure if there's a distinction between having a gun vs buying one. Obviously you can inherit them. Probably other ways I'm not thinking of.
lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Hillary said we should go to war with Russia??
Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

Checks and balances.
pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »