Republicans Hate Democracy

Political and religious discussions go here. Tread lightly.
lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Re: Republicans Hate Democracy

Post by lukethedrifter »

Smith Corks One wrote:
Gone
Mary1966 wrote:David Koch was a libertarian and didn’t support Trump. Say nothing but good of the dead.
Sorry Mary, but that’s a no go for me.
33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

Sorry Mary but pleas for an empathetic humane view w/r/t a person whose life's work was stamping out humanity in favor of corporatism to the detriment of millions of lives he helped ruin is a tough ask.
33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

vinsanity
MLB.TV Customer Support

Post by vinsanity »

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/09/ ... 26?cid=apn
Four states are poised to cancel their 2020 GOP presidential primaries and caucuses, a move that would cut off oxygen to Donald Trump’s long-shot primary challengers.

Republican parties in South Carolina, Nevada, Arizona and Kansas are expected to finalize the cancellations in meetings this weekend, according to three GOP officials who are familiar with the plans.
No snowflake. Not the snowflake. You're the snowflake.
pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

North Carolina Republicans voted to override a budget veto while Democrats were at a 9/11 ceremony
While North Carolina Democrats were remembering the lives lost on Sept. 11, 2001, their Republican colleagues took advantage of their absence and voted to override the governor’s budget veto Wednesday morning.

North Carolina House Republicans called for a “surprise vote” while Gov. Roy Cooper (D) and many House members were attending a 9/11 memorial event, Cooper said at a news conference.

“Today, on the 18th anniversary of 9/11, while the state was honoring first responders, Republicans called a deceptive surprise override of my budget veto,” Cooper said. “Unfortunately, it's the people of North Carolina who lose.”

House Democratic leader Darren Jackson told reporters that he told his caucus members they didn’t need to be in attendance, and that state Rep. David Lewis (R) gave Jackson his word that there would be no votes, according to the News and Observer. Jackson said he wants Lewis, who is chairman of the Rules, Calendar and Operations Committee, to recall the veto before it reaches the Senate.

Republicans were unable to override the veto for about two months — as long as Democrats were present in the chamber, Cooper said.
ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

pioneer98 wrote:North Carolina Republicans voted to override a budget veto while Democrats were at a 9/11 ceremony
While North Carolina Democrats were remembering the lives lost on Sept. 11, 2001, their Republican colleagues took advantage of their absence and voted to override the governor’s budget veto Wednesday morning.

North Carolina House Republicans called for a “surprise vote” while Gov. Roy Cooper (D) and many House members were attending a 9/11 memorial event, Cooper said at a news conference.

“Today, on the 18th anniversary of 9/11, while the state was honoring first responders, Republicans called a deceptive surprise override of my budget veto,” Cooper said. “Unfortunately, it's the people of North Carolina who lose.”

House Democratic leader Darren Jackson told reporters that he told his caucus members they didn’t need to be in attendance, and that state Rep. David Lewis (R) gave Jackson his word that there would be no votes, according to the News and Observer. Jackson said he wants Lewis, who is chairman of the Rules, Calendar and Operations Committee, to recall the veto before it reaches the Senate.

Republicans were unable to override the veto for about two months — as long as Democrats were present in the chamber, Cooper said.
Democrats, me included, need to get past getting angry about this stuff because it means we’re just clinging to an imagined reality and Democrats will keep getting hosed because of things they can’t conceive happening. Recognize the GOP for what it is, realistically assess what they might do, and plan accordingly. As much as I criticize someone like Pelosi for leaning on norms, I’m still doing it too in some ways and getting pissed when those norms are violated. But I shouldn’t be a bit surprised by this, and elected officials can’t afford to be either.
thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Republicans wield power any and every way they can. Democrats still think there are norms to adhere to and because they get so much of their sense of superiority from not being classless, they get taken advantage of by the more cynical party. They still think politics is The West Wing.
Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

GeddyWrox
Perennial All-Star

Post by GeddyWrox »

PLEEEEAASSSEE let this fall on Rudy. I would LOVE to see him cuffed and perp-walked!!!
Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

I got a few minutes, time to send my GOPing Senators and Rep another hello-how is your pal Trump doing