Stick to the music! Or the game! Etc

Political and religious discussions go here. Tread lightly.
Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Stick to the music! Or the game! Etc

Post by Freed Roger »

Thread for when celebrities - musicians, athletes -speak out on an issue , and the people that get pissed when they do.
------
I bring this up because one of my favorite bands (Drive By Truckers -aka DBT) has been doing a lot of songs that are overtly political/stance on issues.

And boy does that cause comment section hysterics. I think DBT particularly gets them going because their historical audience has been white guys , and that fan base is now middle aged. They grew up connecting to them with southern rock, an excellent array of songs about wide-ranging topics that mocked while also glorified their redneck honor. Or high school drinking days, and teenager stuff etc. I love it.

Jason Isbell songs another artist I like that gets this "stick to music!" Treatment.

Anyways - some of DBT political songs are decent, but IMO a bit redundant, and not as good as old works.....but frankly what band's new music is as beloved as their old [expletive], no matter the topic.. It must be hard to make an overtly message song, sometimes it works better than others.

Yet, I don't understand why the commentor "people" get so outraged by the musicians. Just move on with your life.
I say "people" because on topics such as gun control, i suspect a sizeable % of these aren't disgruntled fans. Some from troll farms perhaps.
Maybe I could understand it better if there were an overtly right-wing message artist who's music i once liked....hmmm thinking, thinking....kid rock, no. Which makes me also wonder if these indignant rightwing folk are so pissed because they have nothing but [expletive] for music and art wrt shared political perspective.

Probably the closest comparison is Clint Eastwood. But even there, I chalk it up to him losing his skills in older age, and perhaps I over-rated some of his prior work. I disappointed, but not too hard to ignore. (Too late to delete my celebrity fall from grace comment. )
Jocephus
99% conan clips

Re: Stick to the music! Or the game! Etc

Post by Jocephus »

sorta related but recent...so gervais hosted the golden globes and his monologue "took shots at hollywood, liberal elites!", and ricky told the audience nobody cares about your opinions (which may be true). people on the right thought this was so great and hilarious and a real "stick it to them" moment, they ate it up as a real truth telling moment. do they not realize ricky is part of that same crowd? and him excoriating hollywood is kinda flat since he's a vegetarian, atheist, millionaire (from hollywood, via london) who told people to vote for corbyn (in 2017) on his twitter?

i dunno, maybe not entirely related to this thread but i was quite befuddled by the response.
Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

That is a good example. The right is depraved, to where they have to latch on to something like that. Probably why they like Fox so damn much -at least some of the "friends" are decent to look at.

Where is their new Leni Riefenstahl?

Already Godwin'd the thread.
33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

A lot of this is projection, right? We develop these parasocial relationships with celebrities and we don't realize that these relationships are not reciprocal so we develop inappropriate expectations of these people.

I love weed, Willie Nelson loves weed, I love Willie Nelson's country songs, country songs are about Real America, I'm a real American in the panhandle, Willie Nelson probably sees the world the exact same as I and we would totally be friends if we ever met. But now...what the hell? Willie Nelson is playing a concert benefitting Beto's Senate campaign. Willie Nelson is just like me and I don't like Beto! Hey Willie! Shut up and play "On The Road Again" man, you don't get this voice that's outside of what I project on you!

I live in Cleveland. Go Tribe! aaaaayyyyy-----ooo--wayayahaaaaaaayyyyy---ayyyyyyyye---ooooooo--wayahayhayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!! I'm #woke, I check my white privilege at the door of every conversation I have with they/them. I compost all my organic waste and I ride my bike when the windchill off the lake is -30F. And...ah, damn, what? Trevor Bauer is making America great again? Can't he just keep quiet about it so I can go on cheering for him?

Willie's response to those fans was what every entertainer's response should be: "I don't care." Shea Serrano replied to every MAGA idiot on Twitter who's like "Yo I love your book but take it easy on Trump": "Return my book, I don't need your money." That's the spirit!
heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Deadspin - a good website about sports but really about our society, and the role sports plays in it but also the role politics plays in sports - is now dead because the new corporate overlords issued a "stick to sports" demand, fired the editor, then everyone quit.
33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

The Darryl Morey thing commenting on China was a big thing in the NBA over the summer.

Morey did IMO the right thing in speaking out and the NBA let him know real quick not to mess up the money.
CardsofSTL
All Hail the New GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Jocephus wrote:sorta related but recent...so gervais hosted the golden globes and his monologue "took shots at hollywood, liberal elites!", and ricky told the audience nobody cares about your opinions (which may be true). people on the right thought this was so great and hilarious and a real "stick it to them" moment, they ate it up as a real truth telling moment. do they not realize ricky is part of that same crowd? and him excoriating hollywood is kinda flat since he's a vegetarian, atheist, millionaire (from hollywood, via london) who told people to vote for corbyn (in 2017) on his twitter?

i dunno, maybe not entirely related to this thread but i was quite befuddled by the response.
Gervais is hilarious. His goal was to be funny and he was. But what I also like about him is that he's not going to tell other people what to think.
IronPenguin
Single A Minor League Player

Post by IronPenguin »

DBT and Isbell are both great. What's funny to me is that a lot of their songs that those same people love have implicit rather than explicit political themes. The DBT Dirty South album that had Jason Isbell as part of the band was fairly political at times, just not framed in terms of what most people think about politics. So when they get explicit whether in songs or interviews or twitter, people get angry because of the associated baggage instead of listening to what they are saying.

As far as Gervais, he's right that most of Hollywood ignores the nastier side of the business because it suits them and that they are out of touch. But he's also out of touch, and there's something about the rich, middle-aged, edge-lord comedian type that is so incredibly off putting.
Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

IronPenguin wrote: As far as Gervais, he's right that most of Hollywood ignores the nastier side of the business because it suits them and that they are out of touch. But he's also out of touch, and there's something about the rich, middle-aged, edge-lord comedian type that is so incredibly off putting.
I agree, he's a total edge-lord. Anyone of us can write his monologue poking fun at Hollywood. It's easy. Used to say N word as recently as like 5 years ago or less. Transphobic too. If I see a headline that a (insert generic past-his-prime comedian) DESTROYS HOLLYWOOD! then I know I'm bound to find something else to watch. To each his own though.

This thread makes me think of all the LeBron/Fox News battles etc. obv
ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

Gervais is an absolutely terrible comic who's had a couple good tv shows, and the Golden Globes schtick is the same thing he's done multiple times. To me he's become David Brent, ironically. Almost everything he does makes me cringe.

He really posed for this:
[SHOW]