Coup in Bolivia

Political and religious discussions go here. Tread lightly.
pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Coup in Bolivia

Post by pioneer98 »

Evo Morales won reelection but it was close and disputed. The police and military refused to enforce the election result and instead joined protests. So the guy who won the election stepped down. This could totally happen here. Preview of 2020?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/ ... lt-dispute
Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Re: Coup in Bolivia

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

pioneer98 wrote:Evo Morales won reelection but it was close and disputed. The police and military refused to enforce the election result and instead joined protests. So the guy who won the election stepped down. This could totally happen here. Preview of 2020?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/ ... lt-dispute
Certainly. It's all up to the generals whether the fascists stay or go. And if they go, the generals will have to help put down an armed insurrection. I really think so.
greenback44
Hall Of Famer

Post by greenback44 »

pioneer98 wrote:Evo Morales won reelection but it was close and disputed.
I don't claim any expertise here, but I think this significantly understates the complexity of the issue. Just grabbing the first thing I can from Wikipedia:
In February 2016, a referendum was held on the question of whether Morales should be allowed to run for a fourth term; he narrowly lost.[257] His approval rating had been damaged by the allegations concerning his relationship with Gabriela Zapata Montaño.[258] In December 2016 the MAS nominated Morales as their candidate for the 2019 presidential election regardless, stating that they would seek various avenues to ensure the legality of such a candidacy.[259] In November 2017, the Supreme Tribunal of Justice of Bolivia ruled that—in contrast to the constitution—all public offices would have no term limits, blaming American imperialism for the nullification of the referendum's decision, thus allowing Morales to run for a fourth term.[260]
My further understanding is that Trump could only dream of having a Supreme Court as obsequious to its chief executive as Bolivia's equivalent.
pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

greenback44 wrote:
pioneer98 wrote:Evo Morales won reelection but it was close and disputed.
I don't claim any expertise here, but I think this significantly understates the complexity of the issue. Just grabbing the first thing I can from Wikipedia:
In February 2016, a referendum was held on the question of whether Morales should be allowed to run for a fourth term; he narrowly lost.[257] His approval rating had been damaged by the allegations concerning his relationship with Gabriela Zapata Montaño.[258] In December 2016 the MAS nominated Morales as their candidate for the 2019 presidential election regardless, stating that they would seek various avenues to ensure the legality of such a candidacy.[259] In November 2017, the Supreme Tribunal of Justice of Bolivia ruled that—in contrast to the constitution—all public offices would have no term limits, blaming American imperialism for the nullification of the referendum's decision, thus allowing Morales to run for a fourth term.[260]
My further understanding is that Trump could only dream of having a Supreme Court as obsequious to its chief executive as Bolivia's equivalent.

We will likely never ever know the USA's role in all this. The passage you quoted hints at that, too.

We already had a Supreme Court hand a presidency to a Republican once. It's naive to think it can't happen again! The Court has only moved waaaaaay more right since then. And look at what happened in Georgia in 2018. The end of Democracy. Coming soon.
pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

This thread explains what happened pretty well:
Read the whole thing, but here is a summary:
The election authorities do a "quick count" and a "official count". The quick count is mainly just so the media can report on something on election night. With 83% of the "quick count" completed, Morales led by 7.8%. If nobody wins by at least 10%, then they have a "second round" election. Morales' opponent started claiming he clinched a second round chance at that point. But when they completed the full "quick count", he was trailing by 10.1%, meaning he had narrowly missed the second round. That's when all hell broke loose and they accused Morales of tampering with the results. But Morales had been winning by 10% in the polls leading up to the election, and the remaining votes counted were in areas favorable to him. So it should not have been that surprising he won by 10%. And this was still not the "official" vote count, just the "quick count".

So we're talking about an election that was not even that close!!!
pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

From the thread he linked at the bottom of the first one: