Page 1 of 3

News layoffs

Posted: January 25 19, 12:52 pm
by ghostrunner
Buzzfeed News staff might have been literally decimated today, and apparently Buzzfeed Spain is gone. Gannett fired a bunch of writers here in Indy having already done so a few months back. Huffington Post also laid off a bunch this week.

Seems like the only sure things for now are the big papers. NYT, WaPO, LaTimes and a few others.

Indy's paper is already down to almost nothing and I'm torn between unsubscribing to send a message and keeping it to support the writers they still have.

Not sure where we're headed with this. Seems like some new ideas are needed, and not ones that are profit based.

Re: News layoffs

Posted: January 25 19, 12:57 pm
by wart57

Re: News layoffs

Posted: January 25 19, 12:59 pm
by lukethedrifter
ghostrunner wrote:Buzzfeed News staff might have been literally decimated today, and apparently Buzzfeed Spain is gone. Gannett fired a bunch of writers here in Indy having already done so a few months back. Huffington Post also laid off a bunch this week.

Seems like the only sure things for now are the big papers. NYT, WaPO, LaTimes and a few others.

Indy's paper is already down to almost nothing and I'm torn between unsubscribing to send a message and keeping it to support the writers they still have.

Not sure where we're headed with this. Seems like some new ideas are needed, and not ones that are profit based.
I support ProPublica. They do work with/support some local newspapers. I wonder if something along those lines is the model.

Re: News layoffs

Posted: January 25 19, 1:05 pm
by MAGA
A buddy of mine works in local news media. Well, worked. He was laid off a few months ago and he’s only like 27. He said most young people couldn’t care less about the success of the local HS football team, or the status of the new XYZ building on Main Street. Definitely don’t care about the details. Their average nightly viewer was like 63 years old. He said Most people only consume headlines now- which is basically what twitter news is. He said this and the tools we have for customizing our aggregators like reddit has totally screwed general news as a whole. He doesn’t think long-form news, online or otherwise, will be mainstream much longer either.

Sucks

Re: News layoffs

Posted: January 25 19, 1:06 pm
by ghostrunner
lukethedrifter wrote:
ghostrunner wrote:Buzzfeed News staff might have been literally decimated today, and apparently Buzzfeed Spain is gone. Gannett fired a bunch of writers here in Indy having already done so a few months back. Huffington Post also laid off a bunch this week.

Seems like the only sure things for now are the big papers. NYT, WaPO, LaTimes and a few others.

Indy's paper is already down to almost nothing and I'm torn between unsubscribing to send a message and keeping it to support the writers they still have.

Not sure where we're headed with this. Seems like some new ideas are needed, and not ones that are profit based.
I support ProPublica. They do work with/support some local newspapers. I wonder if something along those lines is the model.
Yeah, they're good.

Also, I've mentioned it before, but The Takeaway from WNYC is a really good 40 minute rundown of current issues and available as a Podcast

Re: News layoffs

Posted: January 25 19, 1:39 pm
by lukethedrifter
MAGA wrote:A buddy of mine works in local news media. Well, worked. He was laid off a few months ago and he’s only like 27. He said most young people couldn’t care less about the success of the local HS football team, or the status of the new XYZ building on Main Street. Definitely don’t care about the details. Their average nightly viewer was like 63 years old. He said Most people only consume headlines now- which is basically what twitter news is. He said this and the tools we have for customizing our aggregators like reddit has totally screwed general news as a whole. He doesn’t think long-form news, online or otherwise, will be mainstream much longer either.

Sucks
Most local tv news is and has been garbage for years. If local TV news tried to actually do journalism in a format that drew people in they might have had some success. Probably not but how would anyone know?

Re: News layoffs

Posted: January 25 19, 1:50 pm
by Freed Roger
Post-dispatch is a shell of its former self. but this is not new.

Re: News layoffs

Posted: January 25 19, 1:56 pm
by pioneer98
The AP is out there still going good work but they are limited in what they can cover.

I live in a city that has had a number of controversial things happen lately. From what I see one problem is the local media is afraid to take sides, just like the national media (in some cases, they kind of ARE national media, since they are network TV affiliates). The local media also seems to have a bias towards the powerful people because they want to keep access to them. So to get a feel for what is "really" going on, you have to talk to other people that know more about it. I stopped watching local TV news and only occasionally read a newspaper article online. And I don't really feel less informed.

Personally, I feel like the media should take sides more often. If their mission is to serve the public, they should take whatever stance they feel is in the public's best interest and report accordingly. Reading wishy washy articles that are vague so that you have to talk to other people afterwards is a waste of time and money. The kind of local reporting that won a Pulitzer for a tiny Storm Lake, IA newspaper is what is sorely needed IMO, and they aren't afraid to take a political stance. I'd subscribe if we had that kind of reporting here. But yeah I also agree the news could/should be run as a nonprofit, if not publicly owned.

Re: News layoffs

Posted: January 25 19, 2:49 pm
by MrCrowesGarden
pioneer98 wrote:The AP is out there still going good work but they are limited in what they can cover.

I live in a city that has had a number of controversial things happen lately. From what I see one problem is the local media is afraid to take sides, just like the national media (in some cases, they kind of ARE national media, since they are network TV affiliates). The local media also seems to have a bias towards the powerful people because they want to keep access to them. So to get a feel for what is "really" going on, you have to talk to other people that know more about it. I stopped watching local TV news and only occasionally read a newspaper article online. And I don't really feel less informed.

Personally, I feel like the media should take sides more often. If their mission is to serve the public, they should take whatever stance they feel is in the public's best interest and report accordingly. Reading wishy washy articles that are vague so that you have to talk to other people afterwards is a waste of time and money. The kind of local reporting that won a Pulitzer for a tiny Storm Lake, IA newspaper is what is sorely needed IMO, and they aren't afraid to take a political stance. I'd subscribe if we had that kind of reporting here. But yeah I also agree the news could/should be run as a nonprofit, if not publicly owned.

This is it.
Meanwhile every focus group/analyst meeting I sit in every year says we need to do more positive news, then we do and are told we're ignoring the real stories (which is why I don't pay much attention to focus groups.)

Re: News layoffs

Posted: January 25 19, 3:41 pm
by IMADreamer
MAGA wrote:A buddy of mine works in local news media. Well, worked. He was laid off a few months ago and he’s only like 27. He said most young people couldn’t care less about the success of the local HS football team, or the status of the new XYZ building on Main Street. Definitely don’t care about the details. Their average nightly viewer was like 63 years old. He said Most people only consume headlines now- which is basically what twitter news is. He said this and the tools we have for customizing our aggregators like reddit has totally screwed general news as a whole. He doesn’t think long-form news, online or otherwise, will be mainstream much longer either.

Sucks

Local news is garbage though. They trot out the same stories every time of year. The day before Thanksgiving it's the "busiest travel day of the year" story. Or if it's cold it's the "this is how you dress if it's cold story." etc etc. It's just garbage lazy assed reporting. Our local news seems to be all about reporting house fires and meth arrest. Neither of which are "news" IMO. Outside of parents of the kids who really gives a damn if the local football team won?