College Admissions Scandal

Political and religious discussions go here. Tread lightly.
33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

College Admissions Scandal

Post by 33anda3rd »

mikechamp
Perennial All-Star

Re: College Admissions Scandal

Post by mikechamp »

The parents included the television star Lori Loughlin and her husband, the fashion designer Mossimo Giannulli; the actress Felicity Huffman; and William E. McGlashan Jr., a partner at the private equity firm TPG, officials said.
Do you think Felicity Huffman's husband knew of her shameless behavior?

#dadjoke
Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Arthur Dent
Hall Of Famer

Post by Arthur Dent »

Kind of a weird scandal. Isn't it perfectly legal to buy your kid admission by just giving a donation as they apply? That's the Jared Kushner story, right? Why bribe the coach?
pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

Oh I bet the colleges were bribed as well, but they still need to maintain the illusion of a meritocracy. Then they can say "Sure Kush's dad donated millions to our trust, but he also earned his way in! Look at these scores."

You're telling me they couldn't tell some of their applicants were using fake info? I find it hard to believe. I think they knew exactly what was happening. Seems like the colleges themselves deserve some kind of punishment.
ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

I get this for Huffman and Macy, as I bet they're not as rich as people might think. I suppose they could bribe a few people, but I kind of doubt they're at "donate a building" level. Loughlin and Mossimo on the other hand, why not do it the old fashioned way? Also doesn't seem like their daughter was/is likely to get a lot out of it.

I suppose it's not really donate a building but enough to get your name on it. Same deal though.
lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Arthur Dent wrote:Kind of a weird scandal. Isn't it perfectly legal to buy your kid admission by just giving a donation as they apply? That's the Jared Kushner story, right? Why bribe the coach?
Less expensive?

I think Michael was the one who said he had a pricing schedule for the parents of wealthy ne’er do wells.
doe_boy
Hall Of Famer

Post by doe_boy »

Michael
has a link from 538 to share

Post by Michael »

lukethedrifter wrote:
Arthur Dent wrote:Kind of a weird scandal. Isn't it perfectly legal to buy your kid admission by just giving a donation as they apply? That's the Jared Kushner story, right? Why bribe the coach?
Less expensive?

I think Michael was the one who said he had a pricing schedule for the parents of wealthy ne’er do wells.
Yeah, these prices seem lower. It's also possible these parents were unaware of other avenues wealthy people use. Just because you have money doesn't mean you're in the club.