A place to post about aggrieved white dudes

Political and religious discussions go here. Tread lightly.
MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

A place to post about aggrieved white dudes

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Starting with two of the worst I know!
ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Re: A place to post about aggrieved white dudes

Post by ghostrunner »

I saw that first one got a lot of flack. Partly about there not being Christians at the time, but also that it's completely wrong. I don't know the Bible that well, but I remember that bit from Catholic school since it's in a hymn, and I never heard anyone say it pertained only to certain people.
MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

ghostrunner wrote:I saw that first one got a lot of flack. Partly about there not being Christians at the time, but also that it's completely wrong. I don't know the Bible that well, but I remember that bit from Catholic school since it's in a hymn, and I never heard anyone say it pertained only to certain people.
He should read about the Good Samaritan.
Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

The second one isn't really accurate, but I think it's worth discussion.

I do believe that we look too much for legislation to help folks, and don't have enough "feet on the ground" support from everyday folks.
ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

Socnorb11 wrote:The second one isn't really accurate, but I think it's worth discussion.

I do believe that we look too much for legislation to help folks, and don't have enough "feet on the ground" support from everyday folks.
From what I see most of the charitable programs at risk of funding cuts lately - for example Planned Parenthood or Meals on Wheels - are not run by the government, but run by everyday folks and receive government support or reimbursement.
Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

ghostrunner wrote:
Socnorb11 wrote:The second one isn't really accurate, but I think it's worth discussion.

From what I see most of the charitable programs at risk of funding cuts lately - for example Planned Parenthood or Meals on Wheels - are not run by the government, but run by everyday folks and receive government support or reimbursement.

I'm talking more about non-organized stuff, I guess.

Go to a nursing home and be an advocate for a couple of elderly folks. They need it.

Take time to tutor a kid who struggles in school.

Be a Big Brother or Big Sister.

There's a severe shortage of people willing to be foster parents.

There are all kinds of ways to help people every day that aren't reliant on having Democrats or Republicans in office. I get that everyone is busy, but many hands make light work. I could and should do more, for sure.

Edit: I see the original quote is specifically with regards to "poor people", so maybe I'm off base. I still think it's true, though.
planet planet
http://tinyurl.com/2e4x5hy

Post by planet planet »

We'll never get anywhere as long as poverty is considered a character flaw.
Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

planet planet wrote:We'll never get anywhere as long as poverty is considered a character flaw.
+.
------
With govt helping poor-its a societal thing that needs to be dealt with. If I werent in favor as a Christian of some social safety nets - I would hope I'd be in favor as a logical pragmatic citizen. There have always been orphans and kids born into hardship and people with mentsl illness sick and elderly that have outlived their family support and just people that [expletive] up -and there will always need to be a collective way to deal with them in humane and even cost efficient way.
AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a person if it were a life/death situation"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

planet planet wrote:We'll never get anywhere as long as poverty is considered a character flaw.
Who considers it a character flaw?
Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

Why cant we use churches to lower our national defense and deportation bills?