Bernie

Political and religious discussions go here. Tread lightly.
ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Re: Bernie

Post by ghostrunner »

Hmm
33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

ghostrunner wrote:Hmm
That has to translate to the ballot box though. From 2012 to 2016 over 1,000,000 additional people age 18-29 voted. That was despite a drop of 221,000 black voters age 18-29.

Bernie does great with that age range, the kids love him.
33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

33anda3rd wrote:I like Run The Jewels. I like their music very much. I cannot go to a RTJ show though because they are thoroughly ruined by RTJ fans. I'm surrounded by guys who have gleaming bald heads by choice (probably they lost a little hair and then were like "I'm not getting old YOU'RE getting old" and just shaved it all off to still be punk rock) and are dressed in all black who scream and scream and scream every time El-P says something about Trump or the GOP. They're basically the angry bald aggressive-music militia that would be at a Rage Against The Machine Show if Rage Against The Machine still toured shows.

So while I very much like Run The Jewels, I am soured on them by the most devout of their followers. The people who scream and scream and scream. And need a 23-foot radius to thrash around when for crying out loud just go up front with the rest of the thrashers-around instead of making the show awful for those of us in the back who have to get out quickly to walk the dog when this is over. It makes me wonder if there is something inherently problematic about Run The Jewels that they attract these types, and thus something that I should question in my own subjective enjoyment of RTJ. Is RTJ substantive in a meaningful way or was there something kinda catchy in the anti-establishmentism of them that rang with me but that spurs the lowest common denominator among people who like music I like?
Schlich
Don't tone police me bro!

Post by Schlich »

Got a real nice chuckle out of one of the top responses. GRB MS Paint thread throwback
Schlich

Post by Schlich »

The beltway class loves to paint Sanders' followers' non-tolerance for BS as annoying or mob-like or whatever because theyve been allowed to spew it for so long with no repercussions.
Schlich

Post by Schlich »

Also funny how when Clinton inherits black votes from a multi decade machine, Bernie has a black people problem but when Bernie inherits some black voters from 2016 theyre "residue" and we're just some big ol meanie pants for having POC in our ranks who took offense to it.

Good stuff. Good, good stuff. The content I crave.
33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

Probably the best thing about the Silver Tweet is that a bunch of Sanders stans prove him right in the replies by putting their impressive combination of very low reading comprehension skills and very high ability to be aggressive on the internet into play, which is now a defining characteristic of the Bernie Bro.

There are people in there who want to demonize Silver for saying that Sanders is losing. When Sanders is losing. People who literally can't read a scoreboard but have a too-strong opinion on the game. Someone actually says "misleading, clearly biased takes about how Bernie is losing." Reporting on Bernie looking bad in the polls is not misleading. It's the news. This guy = Trump people, it's the same thing: the reality reported by the news is not my news so whoever is reporting that news is dishonest. Schlich, your position that Sanders' folks have a non-tolerance for BS while they're spouting BS is BS.

Silver didn't call people of color "residue." He called Sanders' small remaining base residue. The word means "a small amount of something that's left after the majority of it is gone or has been taken." It's like evaporation in which a small amount of the same remains, not a word that means addition like ew there's some kind of gross thing on the bottom of my once-clean shoe. The latter would be mud, muck, sleaze, scuz, dog crap, debris--one might be upset if Silver said any of those but he didn't: he said "residue." And the Bernie Bros' collective inability to know the diff between "residue" and "muck" doesn't mean Silver said "muck" and is a bad guy, it means the Bernie Bro ain't so durn smart when he's a hollerin' at Silver on the innernet. The need of dumb white guys with 40 Twitter followers to shout down a U Chicago graduate and famous data scientist on the internet is, again, Trumpian. You say things I don't like, you must be wrong. You are fake. Your data is fake.

Sanders is the Trump of the left. He's dangerous, he riles up uneducated white dudes waaaaaaayyyyyyy too much to be safe for society, and praise Yeezus the country is turning to a more sober, policy-driven, engaging, personable person to carry this message in Warren, a person with the liberal plan but who is a technocrat who wants to repair a broken system instead of a populist without a workable policy plan, who would have whooped Sanders in 2016 if she had decided to run.
pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

It's weird because I've heard the accusation that Sanders supporters are overeducated.
pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

Re: Sanders being "the Trump of the left". They really have zero in common. Trump's signature move is race-baiting and Bernie's signature move is yelling about "the 1%". It's pretty revealing that you think those two things are equivalent. Also, Trump won his nomination and also the general election. So are you saying Bernie's strategy might win?
33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

Also in the not-actually-offensive tweet...

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/statu ... 0999169026

...Silver is basically saying: Ok, Sanders support is more diverse this time around but does that really matter if his support is 1/3 of last time? If having a more diverse base means going from 43% of the vote to 16.5% of the vote then why are people using increased diversity as a positive? And is Sanders' base more diverse because he has become a really magnetic and popular candidate with minority voters or because a large amount of white voters have left?

It's pretty tough to argue with that.

It's pretty easy to get mad and be like "Residue? RESIDUE???!!!!"

2016 Sanders got 23.1% of the black vote. He's now at:

23% of black voters per Survey USA

21% of non-white voters per FOX News (who 538 grades an A pollster)

14% black and 17% hispanic per Economist/YouGov

8% black per Civiqs

8% with black voters per HarrisX

So he's doing worse with non-white voters per the most recent polls, it's just he's doing exponentially worse among white voters so, as Nate points out, his bloc is more diverse but smaller, and it's not because he did any kind of outreach to black/hispanic voters it's just they have left slower than white voters.
Last edited by 33anda3rd on September 23 19, 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.