Environment -other than Climate Change

Political and religious discussions go here. Tread lightly.
lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Re: Environment -other than Climate Change

Post by lukethedrifter »

Swirls wrote:
IMADreamer wrote:What I'm afraid of is Missouri will start selling off or closing state parks. Mo has some incredible parks and it would be a shame to lose them.

Also who drinks out of a straw? What are you four years old?
Have you never ordered a cocktail at a bar? You essentially get a couple tiny single-use stir stick straws with every drink. Always. You have to consciously ask your server to *not* include a straw. I can probably count on one hand the number of bars I've been to that won't automatically include straws or that use the recyclable paper straws.

I keep a FinalStraw in my car that I will bring inside when we go out to drink if I can remember. I always feel kind of smug when I pull it out and it springs forth into a giant ostentatious stainless steel straw.
Some bars around here are giving straws only on request. I only know that bc i heard someone ask. What would i need a straw for?
Libertarians (& Rs) would never go for it because FREEDOM AND LIBERTY but single use plastics need to go. Overcomplicated/redundant packaging as well.

Side note on straws: I really tried to discourage my kid from using them bc if she got a Coke when we went out, drinking with a straw meant she’d have a refill. Without, she might drink half.
Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

the plastics industry speaks
Lots of nonsense ....i.e. whatabout single use plastic IVs?!?!
InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

Swirls wrote:
IMADreamer wrote:What I'm afraid of is Missouri will start selling off or closing state parks. Mo has some incredible parks and it would be a shame to lose them.

Also who drinks out of a straw? What are you four years old?
Have you never ordered a cocktail at a bar? You essentially get a couple tiny single-use stir stick straws with every drink. Always. You have to consciously ask your server to *not* include a straw. I can probably count on one hand the number of bars I've been to that won't automatically include straws or that use the recyclable paper straws.

I keep a FinalStraw in my car that I will bring inside when we go out to drink if I can remember. I always feel kind of smug when I pull it out and it springs forth into a giant ostentatious stainless steel straw.
My local bar here in Branson of all places doesn't even do straws. Just about everything is recyclable or biodegradable. Stir sticks, to go containers etc.
G. Keenan
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Post by G. Keenan »

thrill wrote:As Freed knows, you'd be surprised how far off the beaten path you can go into the wilderness and still find piles of trash. I've been flabbergasted at times. How the [expletive] did a tire get here? Who brought a case of beer this far down a hike-in only trail?

If I wasn't able to laugh at the lazy [expletive] hysteria that shallow-minded morons whip themselves into about straws and completely unnecessary conveniences like that, I'd go crazy. 1) it's not that big a sacrifice. 2) we HAVE to do it. There's no magic invention that going to solve climate change and erase the mountains of plastic littering our seas and continents. Sip out of a cup like a [expletive] adult.
It really is awful. I remember like 6 years ago I was on this little Croatian island in the Adriatic Sea and it was just idyllic as all hell. A paradise. I was hanging out in a little cove on the island, swimming, etc and thought I'd do some snorkeling. Put on the mask and looked under water -- the sea floor was completely covered in plastic bottles. Just covered. It was shocking and made me feel really sad. I didn't even want to tell my wife about it because I didn't want to spoil the illusion for her.

Plastic is absolutely everywhere. Now we're getting these micro fibers turning up in municipal drinking water. Half of us probably have plastic lodged in our digestive tracts for all we know, killing us slowly.
Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

[expletive] useless monument to racism is desecrating the las
Border wall construction in Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument is a travestyThe barrier divides the monument and nearby wildlife refuges.
Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

This [expletive] sucks. Could go in the climate change thread
Over 740 chemical filled containers floating down Missouri River following flooding
The "orphaned containers" vary in size, ranging from small buckets to half-a-million-gallon tanks. They can be carrying chemicals such as ammonia, diesel fuel, pesticides or other farm chemicals
Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

Water is needed for existence. Right up there with air.
Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

Damn.
Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

Trump Removes Pollution Controls on Streams and Wetlands
The new water rule will remove federal protections from more than half the nation’s wetlands, and hundreds of thousands of small waterways. That would for the first time in decades allow landowners and property developers to dump pollutants such as pesticides and fertilizers directly into many of those waterways, and to destroy or fill in wetlands for construction projects.

“This will be the biggest loss of clean water protection the country has ever seen,” said Blan Holman, a lawyer specializing in federal water policy at the Southern Environmental Law Center. “This puts drinking water for millions of Americans at risk of contamination from unregulated pollution. This is not just undoing the Obama rule. This is stripping away protections that were put in place in the ’70s and ’80s that Americans have relied on for their health.”
IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

Freed Roger wrote:Trump Removes Pollution Controls on Streams and Wetlands
The new water rule will remove federal protections from more than half the nation’s wetlands, and hundreds of thousands of small waterways. That would for the first time in decades allow landowners and property developers to dump pollutants such as pesticides and fertilizers directly into many of those waterways, and to destroy or fill in wetlands for construction projects.

“This will be the biggest loss of clean water protection the country has ever seen,” said Blan Holman, a lawyer specializing in federal water policy at the Southern Environmental Law Center. “This puts drinking water for millions of Americans at risk of contamination from unregulated pollution. This is not just undoing the Obama rule. This is stripping away protections that were put in place in the ’70s and ’80s that Americans have relied on for their health.”
This really sucks because I know I have three neighbors who are going to destroy wetlands to farm them. It ticks me off. We have a 20 acre wetland on our farm that we have tried to preserve the best we can. After the flood of 93 our area lost most of it's trees but for some reason there are a handful of wet lands that the trees survived. Probably because they were wetland trees. (duh). Anyway, after the flood there was basically no wild life in the bottoms any more. Just with in the last ten years we are starting to see deere, rabbits, and other animals make a come back. Now I am sure some of those wetlands will be destroyed in the name of planting more corn. I know I'm a corn farmer so that seems hypocritical but it just sucks. We will keep our wetlands though. We are trying to get trees growing again in some of our water ways as well. It's been a rough go but some are taking hold. Too bad for every family like mine who wants to be a good steward of the land there are a dozen Trumps who want to destroy it.