Democrat presidential primary

Political and religious discussions go here. Tread lightly.
ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Re: Democrat presidential primary

Post by ghostrunner »

Socnorb11 wrote:
February 13 20, 5:40 pm
ghostrunner wrote:
February 13 20, 4:47 pm
Most people don’t vote for candidates based on moderate, liberal, or conservative lanes. Most Biden voters second choice is Bernie. Same for Warren. 17% of Bloomberg voters have Bernie as a second choice.
We know this isn't true, because Bernie had fewer voters move to his side in the second alignment in Iowa than any other viable candidate. Fewer than Biden. Fewer than Pete. Fewer than EW.

Almost nobody outside of Bernie's base wanted to align with him.

1. Voters moving from candidate to candidate doesn't establish that the movement had to do with ideology. And preferences in Iowa don't necessarily apply elsewhere.

2. Not sure where you're getting that info from. Bernie was 3rd in voters gained in the second alignment and only about 200 behind Warren. Looks like most of those pickups came from Yang and Steyer. He also had the most to start with and we don't have information about their ideology. Presumably most of them are very liberal, but there's likely a lot that aren't.

Pete - +5678
Warren - +2323
Bernie - +2143

Biden and Klobuchar both lost voters
pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

All that stuff is true. If replacing Trump is the #1 priority, why don't we pick the candidate with the most votes and the most enthusiasm behind them?
Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me
Location: Clowns to the left of me. Jokers to the right. Here I am.

Post by Radbird »

Farewell Friends
Snayke's Bottomline

Post by Farewell Friends »

Yikes, AOC has gone full neolib. 🐍🐍🐍🐍
Ocasio-Cortez ― one of the most outspoken advocates for Medicare for All ― said she thought voters understood there was an “inherent check” on the president’s ability to actually change things like our health care system. And she argued that the realities of governing were actually an argument for someone like Sanders, as he’d be able to push Democrats and resulting changes further left.
But Ocasio-Cortez is also realistic about how far even a President Sanders could actually move Congress.The worst-case scenario? We compromise deeply and we end up getting a public option. Is that a nightmare? I don’t think so,” she said.

Ocasio-Cortez stressed that just getting a public option for health care wasn’t the left’s ultimate goal. But she also said she wasn’t here to railroad other members with differing viewpoints on health care ― she just thinks it helps to have a president who has a more ambitious platform than Congress so that Democrats could stretch what’s possible
pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

The recent flap about the Culinary union in Nevada was very clarifying. Klobuchar, Warren and all the other candidates were arguing that the union should get to keep the insurance they negotiated into their contract. The Sanders people were the only ones arguing Medicare for All is still better because it raises the floor from which the union is negotiating from, so they could go after even better benefits and pay in negotiations. You don't have to agree with that or like that response, but there definitely is a difference between the candidates on this issue. I think any sane person will agree that getting to M4A is going to take a long time, but there are still differences between Bernie and the rest of the field on this issue.
Schlich
Don't tone police me bro!

Post by Schlich »

I just wanna see Broncos do the high hopes dance
pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

It is nonsense that Bernie lacks appeal to independents. He just appeals to a different kind of independent voter than we are used to seeing vote Democrat. He is attracting the problematic Joe Rogan listeners while normally Dems go after the problematic suburban rich white people. And so few people participate in caucuses and primaries that you only get the diehards. An exit poll from Iowa or NH is nearly meaningless for gauging appeal to swing votere. Turnout in Iowa was around 15%, and I think that is just of registered Democrats. It's just the diehards.
pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »