Songs you forgot for the cover tournament

Topics for the 2017 cover song tournament.
Swirls
gone fission

Re: Songs you forgot for the cover tournament

Post by Swirls »

This is a good cover of Nirvana as well - didn't see it posted yet.

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

Someone posted Israel Kamakawiwo'ole's "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" which I have in the tourney and will be on the next set of matchups, but I also considered his other masterpiece of "What a Wonderful World"

wart57
just can't quit you.

Post by wart57 »

Kincaid
Veteran Player

Post by Kincaid »

I assume (hope?) someone took Hendrix's cover of "All Along the Watchtower" and Jeff Buckley's (or John Cale's) cover of "Hallelujah" since those are among the best-known great covers out there.

This is one of my favourites that's a bit more obscure:

The AV Club's Undercover series has quite a few gems (though it can also be pretty hit-or-miss). Some of my other favourites from that series that are worth checking out are "Running up that Hill" (also by Wye Oak), "Danger Zone" (Calexico), and "In the Air Tonight" (Bare Naked Ladies).

Gashouse
Perennial All-Star

Post by Gashouse »

GeddyWrox wrote:
Gashouse wrote:
No time to grab the link right now, but this made me realize what an oversight it was to leave Nirvana's cover of Man Who Sold The World -- from this same performance. Love that song!!!
Thought about that song, too. I just noticed that My Girl (or Where did you sleep last night) is in the tourney after all.

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

Only gripe I have with the tournament is it seems like you have legit well known cover songs going against youtubers covering songs in some of the matchups. Should've kept it to people who actually released the cover song on some sort of official album whether if its a full length album or single.

Smith Corks One
All-Star

Post by Smith Corks One »

JoeMcKim wrote:Only gripe I have with the tournament is it seems like you have legit well known cover songs going against youtubers covering songs in some of the matchups. Should've kept it to people who actually released the cover song on some sort of official album whether if its a full length album or single.
Why?

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

JoeMcKim wrote:Only gripe I have with the tournament is it seems like you have legit well known cover songs going against youtubers covering songs in some of the matchups. Should've kept it to people who actually released the cover song on some sort of official album whether if its a full length album or single.
Just because your song lost to a somewhat lesser known cover artist rather than a powerhouse cover?