Round 1: "Atlantic City" vs "The Man Who Sold..." *CLOSED*

Topics for the 2017 cover song tournament.

Round 1: Best Covered Song?

Poll ended at February 14 18, 7:36 am

Atlantic City
38%
The Man Who Sold the World
63%

Total votes: 24

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Re: Round 1: "Atlantic City" vs "The Man Who Sold the World"

Post by lukethedrifter »

Tim wrote:We need more Levon Helm.
This all day.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

heyzeus wrote:I'd have a hard time liking any cover of Atlantic City more than the original.
It's not better, but it's amazing. I always thought they worked incredibly well as companion pieces. There's desperation in Springsteen's (there aren't many songs that capture it better; it's really incredible), and hope in The Band's.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

Hardest call so far. Didn’t think I could vote against Levon but really that was a beautiful cover by Kurt & Co.

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

BottenFieldofDreams wrote:
heyzeus wrote:I'd have a hard time liking any cover of Atlantic City more than the original.
It's not better, but it's amazing. I always thought they worked incredibly well as companion pieces. There's desperation in Springsteen's (there aren't many songs that capture it better; it's really incredible), and hope in The Band's.
It is incredible, yet here we are one of the most over rated artists of all time being covered by the most over rated artist of all time winning by double over one of the best songs of all time, written by one of the greatest, covered by one of the greatest.

This world makes no sense any more and I want off it.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

I would say for me the Springsteen version starts ahead of Bowie’s and I love both of those guys.

But to me Nirvana’s cover surpasses either and The Band’s cover is my least favorite of the 4. Have to admit I don’t care much for The Band. I recognize and appreciate the musicianship, but I don’t feel much of anything listening to them.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

I've grown to really dislike the sound of the acoustic guitar on the Unplugged album. It sounds like the strings aren't being held down all the way or Kurt's really leaning into the top couple strings or something. He's above both those things as a guitarist so I don't know who's fault it is. But I can't get over it.

Used to be one of my favorite albums. I wonder if it's ever been remastered. If not, please remaster it before the next round, TIA.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

BottenFieldofDreams wrote:I've grown to really dislike the sound of the acoustic guitar on the Unplugged album. It sounds like the strings aren't being held down all the way or Kurt's really leaning into the top couple strings or something. He's above both those things as a guitarist so I don't know who's fault it is. But I can't get over it.

Used to be one of my favorite albums. I wonder if it's ever been remastered. If not, please remaster it before the next round, TIA.
Yeah, it's very noticeable. You can hear his fingers sliding on the strings. I wonder if it's the way it was miked.

Gashouse
Perennial All-Star

Post by Gashouse »

IMADreamer wrote: It is incredible, yet here we are one of the most over rated artists of all time being covered by the most over rated artist of all time winning by double over one of the best songs of all time, written by one of the greatest, covered by one of the greatest.

Haven't voted yet nor looked at results nor paid attention to who submitted which song. When I read this, I wasn't sure which way you meant as I lean towards feeling like both Bowie and Bruce are overrated. not that I think they suck, but neither has really struck a chord with me.

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

Gashouse wrote:
IMADreamer wrote: It is incredible, yet here we are one of the most over rated artists of all time being covered by the most over rated artist of all time winning by double over one of the best songs of all time, written by one of the greatest, covered by one of the greatest.

Haven't voted yet nor looked at results nor paid attention to who submitted which song. When I read this, I wasn't sure which way you meant as I lean towards feeling like both Bowie and Bruce are overrated. not that I think they suck, but neither has really struck a chord with me.
Bowie is over rated and nirvana is the most over rated. I'm firmly in the camp that if Cobain were still alive their legacy would be significantly less.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

Because of all that, I changed my vote back from AC to Nirvana.

Winning, not whining.