Round 1: "Atlantic City" vs "The Man Who Sold..." *CLOSED*

Topics for the 2017 cover song tournament.

Round 1: Best Covered Song?

Poll ended at February 14 18, 7:36 am

Atlantic City
38%
The Man Who Sold the World
63%

Total votes: 24

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Re: Round 1: "Atlantic City" vs "The Man Who Sold the World"

Post by IMADreamer »

Like it mattered. God Nirvana sucks.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

It's like QND whoopin the Saukees all over again

Couldn't resist.

Smiley face for good measure
:)

stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother

Post by stlouie_lipp »

IMADreamer wrote:
Gashouse wrote:
IMADreamer wrote: It is incredible, yet here we are one of the most over rated artists of all time being covered by the most over rated artist of all time winning by double over one of the best songs of all time, written by one of the greatest, covered by one of the greatest.

This world makes no sense any more and I want off it.
Haven't voted yet nor looked at results nor paid attention to who submitted which song. When I read this, I wasn't sure which way you meant as I lean towards feeling like both Bowie and Bruce are overrated. not that I think they suck, but neither has really struck a chord with me.
Bowie is over rated and nirvana is the most over rated. I'm firmly in the camp that if Cobain were still alive their legacy would be significantly less.
Overrated in what way? I don't think many people say they were the greatest musicians. But I don't think it's possible to overstate the cultural significance of Nevermind and especially "Smells Like Teen Spirit".

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

stlouie_lipp wrote:
IMADreamer wrote:
Gashouse wrote:
IMADreamer wrote: It is incredible, yet here we are one of the most over rated artists of all time being covered by the most over rated artist of all time winning by double over one of the best songs of all time, written by one of the greatest, covered by one of the greatest.

Haven't voted yet nor looked at results nor paid attention to who submitted which song. When I read this, I wasn't sure which way you meant as I lean towards feeling like both Bowie and Bruce are overrated. not that I think they suck, but neither has really struck a chord with me.
Bowie is over rated and nirvana is the most over rated. I'm firmly in the camp that if Cobain were still alive their legacy would be significantly less.
Overrated in what way? I don't think many people say they were the greatest musicians. But I don't think it's possible to overstate the cultural significance of Nevermind and especially "Smells Like Teen Spirit".
I try not to be a Nirvana hater anymore. I appreciate them. But I definitely think it's possible to overstate their impact. How many years separate Poison/Def Leppard and Creed/Limp Bizkit? Today's indie music (and stretching back 15-20 years) sounds far more like contemporaries Weezer or folkier-Counting Crows than it does Nirvana.

stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother

Post by stlouie_lipp »

BottenFieldofDreams wrote:
stlouie_lipp wrote:
IMADreamer wrote:
Gashouse wrote:

I try not to be a Nirvana hater anymore. I appreciate them. But I definitely think it's possible to overstate their impact. How many years separate Poison/Def Leppard and Creed/Limp Bizkit? Today's indie music (and stretcihng back 15-20years) sounds far more like Weezer or folkier-Counting Crows than it does Nirvana.
Can I ask how old you are? Maybe I should refine my statement to just how big a culture shock Nevermind was in 1991 to us Gen X'ers. It was a complete break from the 80's and gave "us" a voice and told the world "we're here, dammit!". Loud guitars, shouting, banging drums. There was a shift in music (obviously), movies, clothing, television. I think it was for us what the British Invasion was to the baby boomers.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

Bowie being overrated is where I’m stuck. I mean even the album he cut as he was dying in his 60’s is pretty damn good. 40 years making music and he never stood still, dipped his toe in different genres, collaborated with artists older and younger. One of the best careers in music, imo. Just to contrast with the Stones, whose last several albums were mostly lesser imitations of their old stuff.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

stlouie_lipp wrote:
stlouie_lipp wrote:
IMADreamer wrote:
Gashouse wrote:

I try not to be a Nirvana hater anymore. I appreciate them. But I definitely think it's possible to overstate their impact. How many years separate Poison/Def Leppard and Creed/Limp Bizkit? Today's indie music (and stretcihng back 15-20years) sounds far more like Weezer or folkier-Counting Crows than it does Nirvana.
Can I ask how old you are? Maybe I should refine my statement to just how big a culture shock Nevermind was in 1991 to us Gen X'ers. It was a complete break from the 80's and gave "us" a voice and told the world "we're here, dammit!". Loud guitars, shouting, banging drums. There was a shift in music (obviously), movies, clothing, television. I think it was for us what the British Invasion was to the baby boomers.
That's fair. I wouldn't be old enough to appreciate it on that level.

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

stlouie_lipp wrote:
IMADreamer wrote:
Gashouse wrote:

I was there for the boom of grunge too, although I may have just been a year or two too young. Still my thought is that there were always better bands lyrically and musically that appeared at the same time. Soundgarden and Pearl Jam coming to mind obviously and on the tail end of grunge Rage Against the Machine. Those bands while being there at he beginning stuck around for decades and today while considered great don't get the praise of Nirvana. I still feel like that's because Kurt killed himself and so there is this "what could have been" thinking.

I also guess that the cynical old man in me says that it wasn't really this cultural boom, but more of that's what MTV and the big record companies decided they were going to cram down everyone's throat at the time. Kids liked it because they were told they should.

When I look back now at that era Nirvana just doesn't have that staying power to me that some of the other bands did.

wart57
just can't quit you.

Post by wart57 »

stlouie_lipp wrote:
stlouie_lipp wrote:
IMADreamer wrote:
Gashouse wrote:

That's fair. I wouldn't be old enough to appreciate it on that level.
I was never that enamored with Nirvana. I turned 21 in 91, so it should have been in my wheelhouse, just wasn't my cup o' tea.

stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother

Post by stlouie_lipp »

IMADreamer wrote:
stlouie_lipp wrote:
IMADreamer wrote:
Gashouse wrote:

I was there for the boom of grunge too, although I may have just been a year or two too young. Still my thought is that there were always better bands lyrically and musically that appeared at the same time. Soundgarden and Pearl Jam coming to mind obviously and on the tail end of grunge Rage Against the Machine. Those bands while being there at he beginning stuck around for decades and today while considered great don't get the praise of Nirvana. I still feel like that's because Kurt killed himself and so there is this "what could have been" thinking.

I also guess that the cynical old man in me says that it wasn't really this cultural boom, but more of that's what MTV and the big record companies decided they were going to cram down everyone's throat at the time. Kids liked it because they were told they should.

When I look back now at that era Nirvana just doesn't have that staying power to me that some of the other bands did.
I agree with this. I preferred Soundgarden, Alice In Chains, even Smashing Pumpkins to Nirvana. Their music didn't really age very well and you're right, Cobain killing himself is a big part why they are revered. But, "Smells Like Teen Spirit" was the single that launched it all and that was their song.