San Francisco List

vs.

heyzeus:
Songs about Songs

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Re: Lankford Bracket Round One: San Francisco List vs. Songs about Songs

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

I was hoping for Barry Zito (I’m sure most of you have his album on vinyl) in the SF playlist so I could vote against it like it was Michael Wacha and I was Travis Ishikawa. Uh oh a lot of stuff is coming up. [expletive] San Francisco.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

Some classic artist and song references here.

SF has a couple of one-hit wonders from Blues Image and Scott MacKenzie and 2 all-time classics from Tony B and Otis Redding. And something by that Clapton dude.

Songs - from Crimson and Clover which along with Alex Chilton (Boxtops are very underrated IMHO) plops me right back in HS then to November Rain which got air play when I was a young dad.

Tough choice to make here. Will have to let this marinate a bit.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Radbird wrote:
February 27 23, 1:49 pm
Some classic anrtist and song references here.

SF has a couple of one-hit wonders from Blues Image and Scott MacKenzie and 2 all-time classics from Tony B and Otis Redding. And something by that Clapton dude.

Songs - from Crimson and Clover which along with Alex Chilton (Boxtops are very underrated IMHO) plops me right back in HS then to November Rain which got air play when I was a young dad.

Tough choice to make here. Will have to let this marinate a bit.
Children by the millions scream for Alex Chilton when he comes round.

Kincaid
Veteran Player

Post by Kincaid »

I know "The Letter" was Alex Chilton's biggest hit and the Box Tops were way more commercially successful than Big Star at the time, but from a later-generation perspective it still feels weird to see him associated with the former over the latter.

When I was a kid, "Ride Captain Ride" came on the radio and my dad said he'd give me a dollar if I could tell him what band it was and then was shocked that I knew it was Blues Image (even though I only knew that because I'd heard him talk about the song before). I don't know if I had heard the song again since then until now.
BottenFieldofDreams wrote:
February 27 23, 10:46 am
I was hoping for Barry Zito (I’m sure most of you have his album on vinyl) in the SF playlist so I could vote against it like it was Michael Wacha and I was Travis Ishikawa. Uh oh a lot of stuff is coming up. [expletive] San Francisco.
I've never listened to Barry Zito's music, but he used to be one of my favorite players and when I found out he played guitar, I told a guitar player/sports fan I knew and he got offended that I considered Zito's abilities to constitute "playing the guitar".

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

It's really hard to vote against a playlist featuring Dock by the Bay, but the Replacements are big for me, and I had to respect my long-time phoenix resident/millennial emo roots and support the one with Jimmy Eat World. Just being true to myself here.

Richie Allen
Perennial All-Star

Post by Richie Allen »

Manilow misses two key free throws in the final minute but heyzeus still hangs on to win a squeaker.

Tambourine Man
accepts no jimitators

Post by Tambourine Man »

Love this tune.