Metal Madness

vs.

Radbird:
Storytellers

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Re: Lankford Bracket Round One: Metal Madness vs. Storytellers

Post by heyzeus »

I'm not voting against anything with Ace of Spades on it.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

I really like the Megadeth song. And you including Black Sabbath took me waaay back. A HS buddy and I saw them in concert at the Arena Annex. I’m not sure how many of you remember the Arena (later Checkerdome). The Annex was a large 1-story building next to the old barn. It had a relatively low ceiling, especially for a metal concert and both of us are convinced it damaged our hearing - our ears rang for weeks. But damn that was a fine show.

Memories get fuzzy after 50 years so I tried to confirm it online and see what the actual date was. Took awhile but I finally found it - March 21, 1971 as part of the Paranoid tour.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Radbird wrote:
February 27 23, 7:52 pm
I really like the Megadeth song. And you including Black Sabbath took me waaay back. A HS buddy and I saw them in concert at the Arena Annex. I’m not sure how many of you remember the Arena (later Checkerdome). The Annex was a large 1-story building next to the old barn. It had a relatively low ceiling, especially for a metal concert and both of us are convinced it damaged our hearing - our ears rang for weeks. But damn that was a fine show.

Memories get fuzzy after 50 years so I tried to confirm it online and see what the actual date was. Took awhile but I finally found it - March 21, 1971 as part of the Paranoid tour.

I remember the Arena well. My cousins were really into the Steamers (the 80s indoor soccer team) so I went to like 100 of their games there. My dad always pointed to the part of the ceiling that he says got ripped off by a tornado in the 50s. I didn't know there was ever a building called the Arena Annex though.

Radbird

Post by Radbird »

heyzeus wrote:
February 28 23, 8:42 am
I didn't know there was ever a building called the Arena Annex though.
I found this pic from 1988. From what I can tell, there were several versions of Arena outbuildings thru the years but this looks closest to what I remember. Looks like the last Annex concert was in late ‘70s so it could’ve been partially demo’d or replaced by the time this pic was taken.

Radbird

Post by Radbird »

heyzeus wrote:
February 28 23, 8:42 am
My dad always pointed to the part of the ceiling that he says got ripped off by a tornado in the 50s.
The roof damage from the 1959 tornado was caused when one of the two Arena towers toppled and crashed into the roof. In the foreground of the picture, the nearby KTVI TV tower also fell and they never put it back up, just installed a message board around the “stump”. This happened on my 6th birthday - I remember being upset because everyone was talking about the stupid tornado instead of my party.

/end tmi history lesson, back to music

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

Today I learned GRB not a fan of metal. lol