2000s indie

vs.

Smith Corks One:
Beyond

Tambourine Man
accepts no jimitators

Re: Edmonds Bracket Round One: 2000s Indie vs. Beyond

Post by Tambourine Man »

I added The Trapeze Swinger to my regular rotation a few days ago. Never heard it. And here it is again.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Tambourine Man wrote:
March 5 23, 10:00 pm
I added The Trapeze Swinger to my regular rotation a few days ago. Never heard it. And here it is again.
I love life's little ironies. Years ago, @TheoSqua introduced me to Trapeze Swinger. And here we are years later, where Theo is up against a playlist with just that song. It's hard to even analogize that song to other music. It's more akin to Dante. Or a modern psalm. Basically, it's masterwork.

Also, King's Crossing is the most positively haunted music ever written. By the time the song closes, with the last stanza, you realize you are hearing the voice of a dead man begging the doctors and nurses not to take his lifeless body away. To quote Sarah Lynn, "That's too much, man!"

OTOH, Fidelity may be the best pop love song of all time. OF ALL TIME. This is a hard one - two really great playlists people.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Similarly strong playlists. Beyond just eeked it out for me.

TGantz
R-E-S-P-E-C-T...What Dr Pepper Means to Me

Post by TGantz »

I felt like I couldn't vote against Pink Floyd, but I can't leave The Decemberists and Death Cab hanging.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

Theo’s list is what my children call ‘Daddy Music.’ It’s just my language. Sadly they don’t really care for it. But they like The Beatles, so I’ve met the minimal threshold of responsible parenting at least.

Sometimes when I’m upset about something silly, I think about how emotional Ben Gibbard is about the naming of ‘glovebox.’ AND EVERYBODY KNOWS IT. I’m a big fan of both band and song, but what a weird and dumb device for heartbreak song framework. Maybe I’m missing the joke?

The steady build of instrumentation in Trapeze Swinger is just marvelous. I love I&W so much.

Tambourine Man
accepts no jimitators

Post by Tambourine Man »

heyzeus wrote:
March 7 23, 9:03 am
Tambourine Man wrote:
I love life's little ironies. Years ago, @TheoSqua introduced me to Trapeze Swinger. And here we are years later, where Theo is up against a playlist with just that song. It's hard to even analogize that song to other music. It's more akin to Dante. Or a modern psalm. Basically, it's masterwork.
zeus, he has a song called Walking Far From Home that's a similar structure. It's excellent, as well.

Kincaid
Veteran Player

Post by Kincaid »

"King's Crossing" is a great song. Hearing some of those lines knowing it was released posthumously..."haunting" is a good word for it.

There are some gems on both these playlists.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Tambourine Man wrote:
March 7 23, 10:23 pm
heyzeus wrote:
March 7 23, 9:03 am
Tambourine Man wrote:
zeus, he has a song called Walking Far From Home that's a similar structure. It's excellent, as well.
Walking Far From Home is another stone cold classic song, for sure. And you're right, it has the same structure: a series of specific, well-detailed scenes that are somehow impressionistic. If you haven't heard Baby Center Stage, it's a later-career Iron and Wine classic too.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

This was another difficult choice.