movies

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Re: movies

Post by ghostrunner »

Glengarry Glen Ross. Heat.

Big, over the top acting is ok sometimes too.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

don't forget jack and jill

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

33anda3rd wrote:Honestly, I can't remember a movie since at least the 80s in which Pacino was not a caricature.
Right. The same guy that did Michael Corleone in I and II? Weird.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

Pacino was pretty good in Donnie Brasco.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

ghostrunner wrote:Glengarry Glen Ross. Heat.
I'll stipulate to GGR.

Heat?
When he spoke.
In trip-let.
Like Mi-gos. (skirt skirt)
That ca-dence.
Drove me nuts. (nuts)
With the snap.
Of fin-gers.(snap)
keeps me sharp
on the line

Scarface is comedically awful, the John Mulaney bit on that says it all. Carlito's Way was toned down from Scarface and still over the top to the point of laughable. Scent Of A Woman too--you can't watch that these days, lecherous blind old army man telling a kid how to manage a woman, and not throw up a little in your mouth. Dick Tracy he's literally a cartoon character. Donnie Brasco: "there was a rat, in flah-ree-dah, donnie." Ugh. Shoot me. There's a reason that from Oceans 13 to Irishman he's done like 15 things and none of us has seen a single one of them.
Big, over the top acting is ok sometimes too.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

Eh. I think it works sometimes. Sometimes not. Depends on the movie.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

This isn’t related to Pacino even though he’s in it briefly, but it occurred to me I think about “Once upon a time in Hollywood” almost every day since I’ve seen it. Mostly just wanting to see it again. Blu-ray comes out next week. Think that might be my favorite movie since Moonlight or Fury Road. Possibly more than either of those.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

Saw Ford vs Ferrari today. A nice little movie, and a type that doesn’t get made and released wide theatrically much anymore. Seems like they had to manufacture most of the conflict, though they didn't try to force a typical sports movie finish as the real one was interesting enough.

Wasn’t even going to see it but I bought an issue of American Cinematographer for the first time in maybe 15 years and it got me interested. That’s a really good magazine if you have any interest in how movies are made.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

Enjoyed "The Irishman" Fun flick. I was about to can Netflix for awhile, glad I waited.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

When I see the making of" extras and interviews Netflix puts out on their feature films, at first I am averse to watching them. But I rarely regret when I do.

Makes me miss the old days of DVDs and their bonus features. (I want to say there were even VHS bonus tapes too, No?)
Anyways El Camino's extra riff is great, as is the "The Irishman" one.

RE: "The Irishman" the most intersting part of the extra was when those old boys discuss the De-aging effects used. Scorcese and Pacino seemed like they are big fans of it's possibilities. Old actors can play their characters in their younger years instead of another actor.

I think the tech on this obviously will improve and will have some use. I think it will be limited, based on situation and roles. Posture and spry acting + the CGI won't just do it all the time. Irishman is a good example of these limits and usefulness. For Pesci character I thought it worked great, probably because he only was de-aged down to middle age -essentially the same guy only less wrinkles and spots.

However Deniro was way too much in the CGI zone -going down to a guy in his 20s. When someone is as well-known a face as Deniro, it is harder to suspend disbelief. The voice too-that really is a harder thing to de-age. Listen to podcasts or radio - You hear age in the voice (the Irishman roundtable ageeed).

I guess the CGI de-aging might be better than say Eastwood splicing in a flashback using footage from a fight scene he did in another film decades prior.... then again maybe it would be better "Trouble with the Curve" wasn't made at all.

De-aging tech may work better on a lesser known, but still a good actor. Like a Steve Buscemi. But the conumdrum - movies will probably only spend the $ and effort of it on bigger names. It will be interesting.