Coronavirus

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
mikechamp
Perennial All-Star

Re: Coronavirus

Post by mikechamp »

Following along the previous post, I found out this afternoon that my (nearly) 95 year-old grandmother now has tested positive. Fever and runny nose are her symptoms. How did she get it? Likely through bad decisions made by staff & administration at her nursing home, since those are the only people she's interacted with (in person) for half a year.

We're hopeful she survives. If not, at least my last interaction with her (8 months ago) was positive... and yes, I know that sounds selfish.

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

mikechamp wrote:
September 18 20, 10:07 pm
Following along the previous post, I found out this afternoon that my (nearly) 95 year-old grandmother now has tested positive. Fever and runny nose are her symptoms. How did she get it? Likely through bad decisions made by staff & administration at her nursing home, since those are the only people she's interacted with (in person) for half a year.

We're hopeful she survives. If not, at least my last interaction with her (8 months ago) was positive... and yes, I know that sounds selfish.
I don't think it's selfish at all--it's the tragic reality you're facing. But I do wish her well.

I also think that it's so difficult for nursing homes to prevent exposure, especially with constant turnover of low-paid staff--some of whom are temps-- who are exposed to heaven knows what as soon as they leave a facility.

In addition, patients themselves go in and out--my mother's gone to the emergency room twice during the pandemic, and been placed in quarantine both times upon return. As soon as a staff member or patient tests positive, off she goes into quarantine again. She's been in quarantine so many times I can't even keep up. I've had a single conversation with her since March, and at this point, I doubt she knows who I am anymore.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a person if it were a life/death situation"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

I also wish your grandma well, Mike.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

I share this information very ... timidly.

Nothing is certain. There is no proof. But it kind of goes to the long term effects.

My brother works at a golf course that draws a lot of out of town visitors. He swears he had covid in December. And his symptoms are pretty consistent. High fever. Cough. Short of breath. Etc. He’s overweight so would be hit hard.

He’s long past infection. But has a lot of internal organ [expletive] going on. He had to have surgery to have a mass removed that pinched off his ureter causing his kidney to inflame with a lot of pain.

Biopsy’s result come back Tuesday. I’m very worried. Sounds like the only explanation is cancer.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

So there’s obviously an anecdotal worry. But what if covid was a man made virus that will cause long term effects way more than we could have ever imagined. Again. This is me talking out loud. No proof. Probably wrong. But. [expletive]. Watching a guy go from not much wrong to fighting for his life is ... odd.

obucard
Perennial All-Star

Post by obucard »

GeddyWrox
Perennial All-Star

Post by GeddyWrox »

Bless that lady!! But damn, if I'm 103 and survive a pandemic, I'm going for something a little better than Bud Light. LOL.

GeddyWrox
Perennial All-Star

Post by GeddyWrox »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
September 20 20, 10:00 pm
I share this information very ... timidly.

Nothing is certain. There is no proof. But it kind of goes to the long term effects.

My brother works at a golf course that draws a lot of out of town visitors. He swears he had covid in December. And his symptoms are pretty consistent. High fever. Cough. Short of breath. Etc. He’s overweight so would be hit hard.

He’s long past infection. But has a lot of internal organ [expletive] going on. He had to have surgery to have a mass removed that pinched off his ureter causing his kidney to inflame with a lot of pain.

Biopsy’s result come back Tuesday. I’m very worried. Sounds like the only explanation is cancer.
I hope your brother recovers quickly AW. Scary [expletive]!

mikechamp
Perennial All-Star

Post by mikechamp »

Thanks, sighyoung. It sounds like what happened in her case is that a staff member got it. However, they also decided to make her hallway a COVID hallway, even though they had previously been moving residents to a different area if they tested positive. So now 9 out of 12 residents in her hallway have tested positive. Just baffling decision making.
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
September 20 20, 9:41 pm
I also wish your grandma well, Mike.
Thanks, AW. And sorry to hear about your brother. I hope they are able to really determine what has caused his kidney issues, and that they just don't write it off as cancer. I mean, if it is cancer, that's one thing. But if they aren't sure but say, "Eh, it's probably cancer", that's not cool. If it was caused by COVID-19, they (and the global medical community) need to know.

I look at this entire situation as building a body of evidence so we can best treat patients on all ends of the spectrum, to help mitigate any/all long-term damage.

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

The last effects of this are scary. My cousin had it about a month ago. She was sick for about four days, like really sick, then she snapped out of it pretty quickly. She was good a few days then all the sudden her heart started racing and she was really light headed. She went to ER and got her settled down. Well flash forward to now, tomorrow she will be getting a pacemaker. She's 38, a runner, in great health prior to coronavirus. Her cardiologist says she is the third younger person he has seen with heart issues after having the virus. All of them were healthy prior. That's obviously anecdotal but it seems like something.