Things you plan to do when this is all over

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Re: Things you plan to do when this is all over

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

heyzeus wrote:
March 2 21, 10:15 pm
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
March 2 21, 8:47 pm
Looks like you'll be able to do that shortly in Texas at least.

https://open.texas.gov/
Governor Abbott Lifts Mask Mandate, Opens Texas 100 Percent
Governor Greg Abbott has issued an Executive Order (GA-34) lifting the mask mandate in Texas and increasing capacity of all businesses and facilities in the state to 100 percent.

This executive order rescinds most of the Governor's earlier Executive Orders related to COVID-19. Effective Wednesday, March 10, 2021, all businesses of any type may open to 100% capacity. Additionally, this order ends the statewide mask mandate in Texas. Businesses may still limit capacity or implement additional safety protocols at their own discretion.

If COVID-19 hospitalizations in any of the 22 hospital regions in Texas get above 15% of the hospital bed capacity in that region for seven straight days, a County Judge in that region may use COVID-19 mitigation strategies. However, County Judges may not impose criminal penalties for not following COVID-19 orders nor may penalties be imposed for failing to wear a face mask. If restrictions are imposed at a County level, those restrictions may not include reducing capacity to less than 50% for any type of entity.
Wonder if the Astros and Rangers will be hosting fans at 100% capacity while the Blue Jays aren't even allowed to play in Canada.
Remeber in the weed thread when I said I live in a moron state?
Seems a bit premature, imo.

But, that's just me. Texas has amongst the lowest (albeit marginally) vaccination rates (13% vs probably 16% on average). And, if the argument is, well, they've had a lot of cases so there's immunity there. Texas ranks 24th in cases per capita which may be depressed due to ranking 38th in tests per capita; however it also ranks 24th in deaths per capita, so it's probably safe to say they're about middle of the pack in cases per capita. Lastly, it's pretty ignorant to ignore the massive drop largely due to a weeklong snow storm, I'm guessing. But, whatever.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
March 2 21, 11:18 pm
heyzeus wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:

Governor Greg Abbott has issued an Executive Order (GA-34) lifting the mask mandate in Texas and increasing capacity of all businesses and facilities in the state to 100 percent.

This executive order rescinds most of the Governor's earlier Executive Orders related to COVID-19. Effective Wednesday, March 10, 2021, all businesses of any type may open to 100% capacity. Additionally, this order ends the statewide mask mandate in Texas. Businesses may still limit capacity or implement additional safety protocols at their own discretion.

If COVID-19 hospitalizations in any of the 22 hospital regions in Texas get above 15% of the hospital bed capacity in that region for seven straight days, a County Judge in that region may use COVID-19 mitigation strategies. However, County Judges may not impose criminal penalties for not following COVID-19 orders nor may penalties be imposed for failing to wear a face mask. If restrictions are imposed at a County level, those restrictions may not include reducing capacity to less than 50% for any type of entity.
Wonder if the Astros and Rangers will be hosting fans at 100% capacity while the Blue Jays aren't even allowed to play in Canada.

But, that's just me. Texas has amongst the lowest (albeit marginally) vaccination rates (13% vs probably 16% on average). And, if the argument is, well, they've had a lot of cases so there's immunity there. Texas ranks 24th in cases per capita which may be depressed due to ranking 38th in tests per capita; however it also ranks 24th in deaths per capita, so it's probably safe to say they're about middle of the pack in cases per capita. Lastly, it's pretty ignorant to ignore the massive drop largely due to a weeklong snow storm, I'm guessing. But, whatever.
Remember that super bowl where Leon Lett started showboating on like the 5 yard line, and Tasker was racing behind him and stripped the ball? Texas is Lett, and Covid is Tasker. We're so [expletive] close. Biden announced yesterday that we'll have 300 million doses by the end of May. We can and should have everyone vaccinated this summer. Until then, we don't have heard immunity, we don't have barriers in place to another widespread wave of infection. Masks are a simple, easy, cheap way to prevent this. It's all so stupid. Just keep wearing a mask! For a few months! Until we can actually beat this!

I'm furious.

My kids have finally gone back to school this week. They haven't set foot in their school FOR A YEAR We've done this to keep them safe, us safe, and their teachers safe. We don't know yet if the governor's order means that local school districts can't require masks in the schools. If that's what it means, I have to pull my kids right the [expletive] back out, because I'm not risking their health or their teachers' health. It's all so stupid.

redbirdjazzz
Perennial All-Star

Post by redbirdjazzz »

heyzeus wrote:
March 3 21, 8:31 am
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
March 2 21, 11:18 pm
heyzeus wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:

Remember that super bowl where Leon Lett started showboating on like the 5 yard line, and Tasker was racing behind him and stripped the ball? Texas is Lett, and Covid is Tasker. We're so [expletive] close. Biden announced yesterday that we'll have 300 million doses by the end of May. We can and should have everyone vaccinated this summer. Until then, we don't have heard immunity, we don't have barriers in place to another widespread wave of infection. Masks are a simple, easy, cheap way to prevent this. It's all so stupid. Just keep wearing a mask! For a few months! Until we can actually beat this!

I'm furious.

My kids have finally gone back to school this week. They haven't set foot in their school FOR A YEAR We've done this to keep them safe, us safe, and their teachers safe. We don't know yet if the governor's order means that local school districts can't require masks in the schools. If that's what it means, I have to pull my kids right the [expletive] back out, because I'm not risking their health or their teachers' health. It's all so stupid.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

LOL, that's hilarious.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

heyzeus wrote:
March 3 21, 8:31 am

I'm furious.

Were your kids excited to go back to school? Hopefully they'll keep the masks at the school so they can keep going. What an odd decision to lift the mask mandate at this point. :-k :-k

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

Zeus, if it makes you feel any better, our schools have been back in session for most of the school year. They offered options to the families to do virtual attendance but most families sent their kids. My daughter (freshman in HS) is a social creature so she chose to go in person (but be as cautious as possible). They mandate masks except during lunch, and made stairwells either up or down, but other than that not many physical precautions. It has been better than I anticipated. They have had cases, sure, but surprisingly no large outbreaks. I thought this was going to be a disaster, and it really hasn't been. I think as long as the school is enforcing masking, it might turn out OK. I feel for you though. The state removing all precautions is ridiculous. I hope your school district is smarter than that.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

GeddyWrox wrote:
March 3 21, 9:47 am
Zeus, if it makes you feel any better, our schools have been back in session for most of the school year. They offered options to the families to do virtual attendance but most families sent their kids. My daughter (freshman in HS) is a social creature so she chose to go in person (but be as cautious as possible). They mandate masks except during lunch, and made stairwells either up or down, but other than that not many physical precautions. It has been better than I anticipated. They have had cases, sure, but surprisingly no large outbreaks. I thought this was going to be a disaster, and it really hasn't been. I think as long as the school is enforcing masking, it might turn out OK. I feel for you though. The state removing all precautions is ridiculous. I hope your school district is smarter than that.

My M-I-L teaches special needs children in high school, all ages in one classroom, and she has about 14 kids along with two paraprofessionals to help which is probably about the max allowable in the classroom at this point. They've had their fair share of difficulties: enough cleaning supplies early on, keeping masks on everyone, and the impossible nature of maintaining 6' distance when changing diapers and what not. Luckily, they've not had any outbreaks and I don't think have missed a single day of class due to a schoolwide shutdown. Two kids have quarantined but did not catch the virus. For her, the fear was paralyzing at the beginning but slowly subsided. She's now vaccinated and has returned to a pretty normal routine (ie, complaining about her paras being worthless instead of the school district not doing enough to protect her).

At my kids schools, I've been extremely surprised that there hasn't been more spread (that's been detected). My daughters montessori school has had no shutdowns, knock on wood, and only one kid out of about 30 that contracted it (again, that's been detected). My son's been kicked into quarantine twice, tested negative once, and never developed any symptoms.

That's not to say there aren't risks, and of course if everyone goes back to normal that risk exponentially increases. But, I've been kind of surprised at the lack of impact the virus has had on the children's schools. Again, knock on wood.

Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.

Post by Leroy »

What would the number of dead be if there were no mask mandates? Does anyone really know?

South Dakota had no mask mandate. North Dakota did have a mandate. At the time the mandate was implemented, SD was running about 5k ahead in cases. Now they are 10k. The mandate ran from November 14 to January 14. Is that significant, considering SD has about 120k more people? Doesn't really seem so.

Lifting the mandate also doesn't mean you can't wear one. No one is stopping you. I still do.

And we audited two schools a week from July to December. I would say the schools here have done a fantastic job, and very few ever closed. If someone gets it, they contact trace it and shut that class or whatever down, but the rest of the school operates.

Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.

Post by Leroy »

One other thing, a mask mandate does little good when people wear the damn things on their chin. What is the point?

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

Like most people - spending time with loved ones and travel.

As for travel, I've picked up some weird interests out of boredom during the pandemic. One of interest is roller coasters and theme parks. Watching people experience and discuss these parks takes me to a better and more fun place while I'm stuck at home. It just sunny wholesome fun. What's particularly weird if despite all the knowledge I've gained on the topic I haven't been on a roller coaster in like 15 years. So my plan is to make a road trip to the roller coaster capital of the world, Cedar Point and stay there a few nights. I also plan to swing down to Kings Island as well.

Also, I'm totally going to buy one of those expensive douchebag premium fast passes to line cut. Let the children cry as my middle aged self walks past them!