Pandemic - What is keeping you busy?

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Re: Pandemic - What is keeping you busy?

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

sighyoung wrote:
April 25 21, 5:58 pm
I spent much of the pandemic learning how to teach online. I'm still not very good at it, but I'll be teaching my first fully online class next fall on the Black Chicago Renaissance (which covers literature, music, and visual art from the late 20's to the 50's), so that'll be cool, I guess.

I'm still working on my anthology on Black writing about the sea, which I hope to finish drafting in the next month. I've been working on that off and on for four years, but especially during the pandemic.
What are your thoughts on virtual learning/online classes? Are you going to put the lectures on youtube by any chance?

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

sighyoung wrote:
April 25 21, 5:58 pm
I spent much of the pandemic learning how to teach online. I'm still not very good at it, but I'll be teaching my first fully online class next fall on the Black Chicago Renaissance (which covers literature, music, and visual art from the late 20's to the 50's), so that'll be cool, I guess.

I'm still working on my anthology on Black writing about the sea, which I hope to finish drafting in the next month. I've been working on that off and on for four years, but especially during the pandemic.
I want to sit in on your class. Can I do that without, like, paying tuition or being a "student" per se?

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

I'd be happy to create a separate thread with the websites, images, and YouTube videos I've collected over the years. There's lots of stuff on the Black Chicago Renaissance, prior Chicago writers and institutions (Dreiser, Masters, Sherwood Anderson), the Great Migration, music videos (jazz, gospel, urban blues, and even Black classical music composers such as Florence Price), redlining and Federal banking and housing policy, residential segregation and restrictive racial covenants, and even possible voice recordings.

I'm not sure how to provide direct access to the course, but you really wouldnt need it.

In terms of videos, I could just provide links to short recordings. I'm hesitant to post stuff on YouTube for a variety of reasons (they'll not be particularly professional--just me making short comments for 10 minutes or so), but there's probably some way of figuring that out.

Some readings are likely available on Open Library, which I often use.

G. Keenan
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Post by G. Keenan »

sighyoung wrote: I'm still working on my anthology on Black writing about the sea, which I hope to finish drafting in the next month. I've been working on that off and on for four years, but especially during the pandemic.
Please keep us posted on the book. I'd absolutely love to read this!

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

sighyoung wrote:
April 26 21, 9:43 am
I'd be happy to create a separate thread with the websites, images, and YouTube videos I've collected over the years. There's lots of stuff on the Black Chicago Renaissance, prior Chicago writers and institutions (Dreiser, Masters, Sherwood Anderson), the Great Migration, music videos (jazz, gospel, urban blues, and even Black classical music composers such as Florence Price), redlining and Federal banking and housing policy, residential segregation and restrictive racial covenants, and even possible voice recordings.

I'm not sure how to provide direct access to the course, but you really wouldnt need it.

In terms of videos, I could just provide links to short recordings. I'm hesitant to post stuff on YouTube for a variety of reasons (they'll not be particularly professional--just me making short comments for 10 minutes or so), but there's probably some way of figuring that out.

Some readings are likely available on Open Library, which I often use.
That would be fun, I'd really like to learn more. You will not be surprised to learn that my English literature degree didn't involve much focus on writers of color at all, and I'd like to learn more.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

I would definitely love to see this thread you propose, Sigh!

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

Yes! That would quickly become a favorite thread, sigh.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

That Zenith stereo has been a challenge but I just got over a big hurdle. There were two big aluminum can capacitors that needed to be replaced. But since they were unmarked, I could not tell which side was positive and which was negative. It was especially hard because one of them was actually 3 capacitors in one body, so it had 4 prongs underneath it. They are also riveted to the chassis. So you couldn't just unscrew them. I had to saw the top of them off, leaving the base behind with the solder connections to hook up the replacement parts.

Naturally, the first time I hooked up the replacement parts, I guessed wrong and hooked them up backwards. Luckily, they didn't blow up. Instead some diodes in the power circuit got fried and the unit would no longer turn on at all. It took some troubleshooting to figure out which parts were fried, and I blew a few fuses in the process. I finally replaced those diodes and got everything hooked up correctly...and it turns on again, thank god. Now that it turns on, I finally was able to test the record player again. It was making an awful grinding noise when I first got it. I replaced the idler wheel and now the grinding noise is gone. The record changer part of it is still not working right, but a thorough cleaning should fix that. Everything else that needs to be done should be more straightforward. Those aluminum cans were the hard part.

Also add my name to the petition for the sigh content thread.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

This Zenith has been a journey. After that post above, I got it to power on again, but the bass was too aggressive. After measuring voltages, I found a 3rd diode had been fried. Replacing that diode lowered the voltage in one amplifier and the bass came in line.

The issues left:
- The tuning capacitor in the radio is bent. AM doesn't work at all, and FM only comes out 1 speaker. A guy on a message board had the right part and sold it to me for $5 plus shipping. I'm hoping that fixes the radio.
- The main volume knob will intermittently have a bad connection somewhere and it will start sounding odd. I tried cleaning that potentiometer some more and it is working OK for now. It had been working fine for 2 weeks prior to today. Who knows.
- The record player sounds much better than when I got it, but still has some constant white noise. You expect some noise when you drag a needle on vinyl, but this one is louder than my others. I'm hoping a new bearing will fix this.
- The record changer does everything it's supposed to do, except it does not switch off at the end. The record keeps spinning. Turns out the plastic switch had gotten brittle and broke.

I'm waiting on the tuning capacitor, the bearing and the switch to arrive. Once these things are done, I am hoping this thing is about done.

I am using the tape deck input as an aux input, and I hook up a CD player or Spotify to it. When that volume knob is working right this stereo sounds FANTASTIC. So the amplifiers and speakers are working great. It's the radio and record player that still have issues.

This unit has 4 speakers on each side - a 12" woofer, two 3.5" tweeters and a "horn" - a speaker shaped like an actual horn. I think the woofer covers the bottom half of the range, the tweeters cover the mid-to-high, and the horn covers the very high end.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

The Zenith was sounding great for a while there, and then a hum in the bass system came back. And once or twice the bass has cut out entirely but comes back after I turn it off then back on (a failing part? a loose connection?). There are 5 main voltages that drive the various amplifiers. Two voltages are measuring OK but 3 are measuring high by 5-6V. I think I may have fried more components in the power circuit than I realized back when I hooked up some parts backwards early in this process. There are 5 other parts in the main power circuit that I'm just going to replace. They cost like $0.50 each.

A friend of mine found this awesome old cabinet stereo on a Facebook swap group. Morse was some kind of store brand back then (1969). I'm refurbishing the stereo for them. I don't have the cabinet in my house, just the electronics. The stereo is not as high quality as these others I've done. I think it will still sound OK once it's done. But mainly it will look cool as hell.

The hilarious thing is that this Fisher that I fixed up is turning out to be the most reliable of all of these I've done, and now it sounds great too! It was in terrible shape. It was made in 1980, so supposedly it had the cheapest design too. I replaced 80 capacitors in this damn thing. I found a $1 rubber plumbing washer to put on the idler wheel inside the record player, and it worked perfectly. I also 3D printed some cosmetic plastic parts. The whole thing is a hodge podge and it runs with no issues. Regarding the sound - I got the speakers from this weird Panasonic stereo at Goodwill for $6 each. They have a 6.5" woofer and they say 100 watts and 6 ohms on the back. They put out a lot of bass but they were not real clear. I finally read the manual on this stereo. It said you should use 8 ohm speakers minimum. So I was probably putting too much current through the amplifier and speakers. I just got a pair of smaller 6 ohm KLH speakers at Goodwill for $3.50 each and put them in series with the Panasonic speakers. So now there's 12 ohms on each channel. It sounds fantastic now. The KLH speakers are compact and handle the high range well. And lowering the current draw cleaned up the bass in the larger speakers.

I loaned the Magnavox console to a friend because my wife was starting to get pissed. I guess my limit is 3 of these in the house at a given time - 1 for upstairs, 1 for downstairs, and 1 on my workbench.