TV Thread - beware, [expletive] can get spoilery

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Jocephus
99% conan clips

Re: TV Thread - beware, [expletive] can get spoilery

Post by Jocephus »

vinsanity
Chili dog truther

Post by vinsanity »

ghostrunner wrote:
September 30 21, 8:51 pm
MrCrowesGarden wrote:
September 28 21, 8:17 am
“Only Murders in the Building” is so very good. The new episode is sublime.
Just started it. I don’t get why there aren’t more simple but unusual premises like this. Selena Gomez and two old comedians solving crimes sounds intriguing right off the bat.
I started it from your comments, it's pretty witty and charming. I wrote it off as a crappy Gomez vehicle and didn't realize Martin Short and Steve Martin were in it. I like how each character is a mystery while they solve mysteries. Worth a watch.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

vinsanity wrote:
October 16 21, 11:33 pm
ghostrunner wrote:
September 30 21, 8:51 pm
MrCrowesGarden wrote:
September 28 21, 8:17 am
“Only Murders in the Building” is so very good. The new episode is sublime.
Just started it. I don’t get why there aren’t more simple but unusual premises like this. Selena Gomez and two old comedians solving crimes sounds intriguing right off the bat.
I started it from your comments, it's pretty witty and charming. I wrote it off as a crappy Gomez vehicle and didn't realize Martin Short and Steve Martin were in it. I like how each character is a mystery while they solve mysteries. Worth a watch.
I believe Steve Martin was the one who came up with the concept. I also don’t know how deep you are into it, but even some of the side characters sort of get their own themed episodes (including one that was particularly well done.)

vinsanity
Chili dog truther

Post by vinsanity »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
October 17 21, 6:53 am
I believe Steve Martin was the one who came up with the concept. I also don’t know how deep you are into it, but even some of the side characters sort of get their own themed episodes (including one that was particularly well done.)
Completely caught up and I know exactly which episode you're talking about.

I think I saw Selena Gomez in some of the Hulu banner ads and just wrote it off.

I did see it's been renewed for a second season and, depending on how it ends, I'm a little worried. It could easily completely miss the charm of the first season or become formulaic or unrealistic. Much like the original idea of simple, quirky concepts I also wish they did more single season runs of things. Some of these more "anthology" style shows (American Horror Story, True Detective, The Haunting of Hill House, does You count?) don't always follow up well.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

I also wish it was a one-off, but I hope this season’s mystery wraps in one season. I think that it will. They had no reason to know AFAIK that it would be picked up for a second season. Prolonging this mystery, even if it’s just a few episodes into S2, doesn’t seem wise.

I think Selena Gomez has shown that she has pretty good chemistry with Steve Martin and Martin Short. The only thing that throws me sometimes is her speaking voice. About once an episode, I notice that she sounds like a Muppet, and I don’t know why. I listened to old interviews with her on YouTube, and she didn’t always sound like that. She actually had a fairly deep voice until the last couple of years. I don’t know what happened, if it’s medical related or something similar, but it takes me out of the moment for a second.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

That's funny. I don't think I'd ever seen or heard anything with Selena Gomez before, and I've been thinking this whole time she's got a great speaking voice and should be the one hosting their podcast.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

I’m posting from my phone so not sure how to format correctly, but this was a silly Vogue interview she did in March of 2017. Her voice just sounds so different now in my opinion. Like she sounds like Kermit now.

https://youtu.be/_GFkHA5EZdE

vinsanity
Chili dog truther

Post by vinsanity »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
October 18 21, 9:43 am
I’m posting from my phone so not sure how to format correctly, but this was a silly Vogue interview she did in March of 2017. Her voice just sounds so different now in my opinion. Like she sounds like Kermit now.

https://youtu.be/_GFkHA5EZdE
Totally agree on the chemistry aspect; I'm more worried about the story-telling. The finale was pretty good (I have minor beef), and I loved how it circled back to the pilot but writing the whole thing to leave the door open for a second season is what worries me. Breaking Bad famously didn't know how to incorporate the M60, they'd originally planned for Jesse to die at the end of Season One and were good enough writers to get past it. I'm worried this show won't.

Also, I'm not hearing a huge difference in her voice.

Addendum, I'm sure that's semi-scripted but I appreciate the format.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

i cant imagine this will have the same impact as the 1st season, 'cause it was so wild and during lockdown....but...i cancelled my netflix several months ago so if ICE or someone watches this and thinks its also worthy to watch i might re-sub to watch. i dont like that the lowes and likely carole are getting more screen time but that's america

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

How To with John Wilson on HBO is fantastic. Do not miss it. Trust me.