TV Thread - beware, [expletive] can get spoilery

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
AdmiralKird
MBA, CPA, CFA, CFP, JD, PE, MD

Re: TV Thread - beware, [expletive] can get spoilery

Post by AdmiralKird »

Finale was perfect, although
[SHOW]
I wish they dropped the black and white and switched to color for the rest of the episode at the start of the court scene. It felt unnatural keeping it in black and white, like all of the future BCS was a dream.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

AdmiralKird wrote:
August 16 22, 2:04 am
Finale was perfect, although
[SHOW]
I wish they dropped the black and white and switched to color for the rest of the episode at the start of the court scene. It felt unnatural keeping it in black and white, like all of the future BCS was a dream.
The black and white stuff really feels like the writers in season 1 backed themselves into a corner that they never got out of. The metaphor is pretty obvious: "Gene's life in Omaha is a black and white imitation of the excitement of Saul Goodman's." But it intentionally mutes everything.

I thought a good time to go to color would've been
[SHOW]
when Gene and Jeffy pull off the mall heist, and he discovers his joie de vivre again,

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

I was kind of surprised when the end credits popped up. Like...
[SHOW]
Wait, he's just going to spend the rest of his life in prison? Though, it's a fitting end, I suppose.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

i didn't see it but sounds like the finale was like seinfeld when many characters we've seen over the years come back to put the lead in jail

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

been awhile since i watched anything with max headroom but im now convinced jim carrey stole his bit

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

BottenFieldofDreams wrote:
August 8 22, 2:28 pm
Now in the next post I'm going to complain about how tired I am of reboots and old ideas because I'm the worst. But I've decided they need to re-do Lost.

Put it in space or post-apocalypse or something. Change Jacob/the man in black to a mysterious black hole and a comet or whatever. But keep the premise and flashback storytelling.

TV has changed a lot since Lost. Someone can chart out exactly how and how long to tell their story. No terrible gear-spinning, or forced plot holes. An ending thats at least a little gratifying.

I guess I just really loved the mystery plus the character work a lot. Really made for great storytelling. I've been half-watching episodes here and there. Probably works a lot better on a binge actually. Rather than a six year burn. But I'm not sure I want to commit.

I watched The Leftovers instead. And was able to plow through it. Good show. Some interesting parallels to Lost. Feels a little all over the place at times. But provocative and good.

It seems from a little snooping around that the Lost finale has actually aged well and is appreciated a lot more by modern bingers. That makes sense to me. All the excruciating waiting of watching it in real time helped make the “it’s not about the mysteries, but the friends we made along the way” ending really goddam frustrating, imo.

The Leftovers basically ends the same way, but lands far more gracefully.
[SHOW]
I will say that for a show that’s always and ultimately about family how little Jill is in season 3 kind of bothered me. She was a huge part of especially season 1. Tom too.

vinsanity
Chili dog truther

Post by vinsanity »

August 24 22, 10:44 am
August 8 22, 2:28 pm
Now in the next post I'm going to complain about how tired I am of reboots and old ideas because I'm the worst. But I've decided they need to re-do Lost.

Put it in space or post-apocalypse or something. Change Jacob/the man in black to a mysterious black hole and a comet or whatever. But keep the premise and flashback storytelling.

TV has changed a lot since Lost. Someone can chart out exactly how and how long to tell their story. No terrible gear-spinning, or forced plot holes. An ending thats at least a little gratifying.

I guess I just really loved the mystery plus the character work a lot. Really made for great storytelling. I've been half-watching episodes here and there. Probably works a lot better on a binge actually. Rather than a six year burn. But I'm not sure I want to commit.

I watched The Leftovers instead. And was able to plow through it. Good show. Some interesting parallels to Lost. Feels a little all over the place at times. But provocative and good.

It seems from a little snooping around that the Lost finale has actually aged well and is appreciated a lot more by modern bingers. That makes sense to me. All the excruciating waiting of watching it in real time helped make the “it’s not about the mysteries, but the friends we made along the way” ending really goddam frustrating, imo.

The Leftovers basically ends the same way, but lands far more gracefully.
[SHOW]
I will say that for a show that’s always and ultimately about family how little Jill is in season 3 kind of bothered me. She was a huge part of especially season 1. Tom too.
Broke my ankle last fall and my friends loved Lost and I agreed to watch it for the first time. I won't yuck anyone's yum if the whole "it's the journey not the destination" works for them. Personally, it feels like an excuse for a poorly written show. It's Abrams' stupid "box" where he just wants there to be a mystery to compel people to watch for a satisfying conclusion when there's so many minor tweaks that could have been somewhat satisfactory.

To me; it was like the opposite of what Breaking Bad did with the M60 after Season 5. Gilligan said he introduced that not knowing how'd they get there; and he paid it off wonderfully. Abrams introduces twists and mysteries and abandons them, hand waves them, or deus ex machina's them. It felt thematically inconsistent and wayward for me. As for redoing, I don't see much point. There wasn't anything plot-wise that struck me as salvageable and the themes could be explored with similar but unique circumstances.

Honestly, I don't see much good reason for TV show remakes. They just end up like modern versions of the old one; Hawaii 5-0 is a modern police procedural in Hawaii, etc etc. Even if you think about good movie remakes - Ocean's 11 - the tie to the original movie is pretty thin.

It may sound hypocritical, though, because I loved The Leftovers and some of the ambiguity of that show. It's been a minute since I've watched it but I remember the plot points being more minor and the bigger parts being how the actual people deal with it and the moral grayness of it. For instance;
[SHOW]
Does it matter if Nora actually crossed over? Or do we just care about how her and Kevin interact with the notion? If she's lying or if she's telling the truth, does it change anything? I don't think so in this case.
Anyways, The Leftovers is a pretty underrated show in my opinion. Glad you enjoyed it :)

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

I loved the Leftovers. I should probably rewatch it now that we've had a real-life pandemic. There's a solid clue in the theme song for the show: "let the mystery be."

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

Leftovers is a top 5 all time for me. I don’t have an order but it’s definitely in there.