Radon

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Re: Radon

Post by CardsofSTL »

This all sounds like a bunch of hippie nonsense

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

its the silent killer folks

this thread is a reminder that i need to get my fan installed.

its basically a rite of passage when you buy a house in colorado, first comes the jeep then the radon fan

G. Keenan
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Post by G. Keenan »

You guys have got me all paranoid now about radon.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

I always used to think that song "Radar Love" by Golden Earring, he was saying Radon Love. Weeeeee've got this thing, it's calllled Radon Looooove!

G. Keenan
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Post by G. Keenan »

Radon is one of those words where if you stare at if for a few beats, it looks like a fake word.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

G. Keenan wrote:
December 2 22, 11:33 am
Radon is not rad.

Though re-arranged, the letters do spell Norad. So it's got that going for it.

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

mikechamp wrote:
November 30 22, 11:59 am
And it may just be contractor supply & demand, @Leroy, but we only paid about ~$900 to get it mitigated. Yes, that was 2 years ago, but I don't think that service has gone up ~80% in the past 2 years.
Not only could it have gone up that much but there are a lot of installation, geographical and material cost variables to take into account. On one hand it's almost double and on the other hand it's in the same ballpark.

Radon gets into newer homes but a vapor barrier in between the gravel and the slab that you see with modern construction is a big help. Plus I think that vent pipe is run automatically nowadays but I'm not positive and I'm sure this all varies by region.

Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.

Post by Leroy »

The realtor trying to sell the place told us to expect $1,500 so I wasn't surprised. Between that and a little roof repair I had estimated about 6k for all of it and asked for an 'upgrade' allowance. I was short on the roof by $500. All of the upgrades are costing $7,500, and we asked for six. They offered 3k and we took that. They also repaired some concrete that we thought would need to be done to get a VA loan. We didn't end up getting the VA loan, so they really did that unnecessarily, to the tune of about 2k. So in the end, we had $9.5k of work done, in which we had to cover about 4.5k, so I am not bothered.
The good thing is that if I develop lung cancer, it will be because my dad was a smoker, and not because of radon.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

G. Keenan wrote:
December 2 22, 11:33 am
Yes, I just ordered a testing kit thru a free program for NH residents. We had a test when we bought the home, no mitigation necessary, but we have issues with arsenic in our well water. That percentage has varied over the years so I don’t want to take any chances. We had radon mitigation in Colorado.
heyzeus wrote:
December 2 22, 12:06 pm
I always used to think that song "Radar Love" by Golden Earring, he was saying Radon Love. Weeeeee've got this thing, it's calllled Radon Looooove!
Radon testing wasn’t a big thing in the ‘70s so we didn’t have that problem. The problem was trying to convince girls that we had a thing called radar love.

Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.

Post by Leroy »

I always wondered why some band liked the little guy from M*A*S*H so much.