Music talk Thread

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
TGantz
R-E-S-P-E-C-T...What Dr Pepper Means to Me

Re: Music talk Thread

Post by TGantz »

Sorry for posting this guy twice in a short time, but I've been obsessed since I discovered him recently. This is a pretty long track, but completely worth it. It has major Shine on You Crazy Diamond vibes, especially in the beginning.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

Radbird wrote:
March 8 23, 8:06 am
Tambourine Man wrote:
March 7 23, 10:28 pm
Radbird wrote:
March 3 23, 9:28 am
Both good songs! As I mentioned a few days ago in Dreamer’s exhausted thread, I need to pull my dad’s guitars out of cold storage and start plucking. Hopefully, TM’s motivation is contagious.
Bob, if you're following through on this, I suggest screwing around with an electric to start building those callouses. My acoustic, a gorgeous little thing, was just shredding my fingertips. Got out the electric, and I'm just strumming it unplugged.
Thanks for the tips! Both are vintage Gibsons. The older is an L-7 from the ‘30s/‘40s with a DeArmand pickup attached. The other is an L-5 from the ‘70s with built-in pickups. Both are hollow body but the L-7 is a bit thicker giving it a richer acoustic sound so I’ll probably use that to start. Gotta start working on remembering those chords!
I found something today that has me very excited. The intro to this song sounds just like the progression Dad used to warm up to. I took a video with an old phone that sadly has been lost to history. Man, what I wouldn’t give to have that today. But I’m hopeful I can figure it out from this video. Time to dust off his guitars and get to work.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

I'm gonna have an awesome Old Man Goes to Rock Concerts week in May when I see the Violent Femmes and then three days later They Might Be Giants.

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

heyzeus wrote:
March 24 23, 1:41 pm
I'm gonna have an awesome Old Man Goes to Rock Concerts week in May when I see the Violent Femmes and then three days later They Might Be Giants.
Don't Let's Start came out in 1986. If you hear Disorder or Marquee Moon or something it's understandable that it's so avant garde that it feels anachronistic. Similarly I would've been off by a solid decade if you asked me about that TMBG song and I didn't know better.

I've been watching a lot of Letterman music performances. His reaction when he loves something is great.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Silversun Pickups are underrated. Panic Switch is such a tight song, just as one example.

They Might Be Giants proved you can have a long, creative, economically viable career by being completely unconcerned about what anyone else in your industry is doing. I can’t say I’ve listened to much post-90s output other than their kids albums (which for their genre are stellar) but their first two decades are wild and fun.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

heyzeus wrote:
March 25 23, 6:32 am
Silversun Pickups are underrated. Panic Switch is such a tight song, just as one example.

They Might Be Giants proved you can have a long, creative, economically viable career by being completely unconcerned about what anyone else in your industry is doing. I can’t say I’ve listened to much post-90s output other than their kids albums (which for their genre are stellar) but their first two decades are wild and fun.
agree. you've inspired me to revisit their catalog

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

When I went to see The Mountain Goats I was expecting a lot of people like myself. Older millennials who used to think they were cool and think they know music properly, with beards and 70s ASICS running shoes.

But what I found was hundreds of nerds. So many nerds. And it was an incredible show. Great energy from the nerds. People comfortable in their skin in a way a recovering pretentious PNW kid who came up in the wake of Kurt Cobain’s 90s could only hope to be. I bet TMBG would be even nerdier. Or Weird Al. I’d love to see those shows.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

heyzeus wrote:
March 25 23, 6:32 am
I only know them from a song heard on the radio that I then added to my library - Three Seed.

Sounds like I need to do a deeper dive.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

Radbird wrote:
March 23 23, 3:41 pm
Radbird wrote:
March 8 23, 8:06 am
Tambourine Man wrote:
March 7 23, 10:28 pm
Radbird wrote:
March 3 23, 9:28 am
Both good songs! As I mentioned a few days ago in Dreamer’s exhausted thread, I need to pull my dad’s guitars out of cold storage and start plucking. Hopefully, TM’s motivation is contagious.
Bob, if you're following through on this, I suggest screwing around with an electric to start building those callouses. My acoustic, a gorgeous little thing, was just shredding my fingertips. Got out the electric, and I'm just strumming it unplugged.
Thanks for the tips! Both are vintage Gibsons. The older is an L-7 from the ‘30s/‘40s with a DeArmand pickup attached. The other is an L-5 from the ‘70s with built-in pickups. Both are hollow body but the L-7 is a bit thicker giving it a richer acoustic sound so I’ll probably use that to start. Gotta start working on remembering those chords!
I found something today that has me very excited. The intro to this song sounds just like the progression Dad used to warm up to. I took a video with an old phone that sadly has been lost to history. Man, what I wouldn’t give to have that today. But I’m hopeful I can figure it out from this video. Time to dust off his guitars and get to work.

These guitars sound amazing. I bet they sound amazing too. If they’ve been sitting around it would likely to be worth it to spend $50-100 to have them set up. Could do a good deal for ease of play.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

after doing years of research, i've finally determined that the 2000-2010 is easily the worst decade of music. there's not even an argument. lots of good hip hop, but man overall its bad bad