Do you believe in UFOs?

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!

Do you believe?

Yes
55%
No
45%

Total votes: 42

Mary1966
Perennial All-Star

Re: Do you believe in UFOs?

Post by Mary1966 »

Aaron Rodgers claims to have seen a UFO. He has lots of quirky beliefs but they don’t seem to have negatively impacted his football career.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Trying to determine a logical answer is very difficult. Not that I've done much research, but my general line of thinking has kind of morphed into this:

First and foremost, the universe is ... big. Impossible to understand big. That's a given. There is life on earth, also a given. Life began somehow, either by magical pixie dust sprinkling down on some inanimate compounds combining them into proteins that created cells (highly unlikely) or cells were brought here from somewhere else (kind of like if someone sneezed on Perseverance before shipping it to Mars and a couple bacteria survived then thrived then mutated and presto, humans, which as crazy as it sounds is probably more likely than proteins/cells randomly forming...of course, those cells would have had to form with the magical pixie dust as well....so who knows).

All of that is a long winded way of saying, does life exist somewhere else in the universe? Probably. How did life begin on earth? It perhaps didn't.

If you can buy into all that, then the question can turn into well did someone/thing intentionally put life on earth or did it just randomly happen through cosmic coincidence? I don't know.

But, is it possible to envision a scenario where life was brought to earth and earth is just some big petri dish experiment of an obviously incredibly advanced civilization? And, that civilization can travel to/from earth by manipulating or flat out disregarding the physical laws as we understand them? Yeah, in the realm of all things, that seems to be about as plausible as any other explanation.

The tic tac video shot by the Navy pilots and their description is just so far beyond anything we're capable of - and I say that as someone who believes the military/nasa probably has some pretty cool [expletive] that we're not aware of - when coupled with the countless credible sightings, it's really difficult to not believe there is something/somewhere that can visit earth.

That said, none of the who/what/where/when/why/how questions are even close to answered, so, logically it still puts my brain in a knot.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

Did our Austin residents see this???

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Radbird wrote:
March 4 21, 6:38 pm
Did our Austin residents see this???
Just what the Browns need another headcase QB

Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.

Post by Leroy »

Will make a cool series of insurance commercials.

AdmiralKird
MBA, CPA, CFA, CFP, JD, PE, MD

Post by AdmiralKird »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
February 26 21, 11:42 am

The tic tac video shot by the Navy pilots and their description is just so far beyond anything we're capable of - and I say that as someone who believes the military/nasa probably has some pretty cool [expletive] that we're not aware of - when coupled with the countless credible sightings, it's really difficult to not believe there is something/somewhere that can visit earth.
Almost everything in these videos can be explained. The tic tac video is not of the same thing Fravor (sp?, Navypilot) talks about. It was recorded by a wingman in a different flight several hours later. It's probably just an airliner in the far distance. If you follow along with Mick West (debunker/skeptic) talking about it, you can see the degrees the camera is pointed relative to the body of the F-18 and the movement is consistent with a jet airliner at 30,000 feet several miles away that appears to accelerate at the end, but it's really just the camera losing tracking when the navigator/bombardier flips the camera back and forth between IR and TV. It doesn't move quickly or anything. Personally I've used telescopes with high optical power tracking celestial objects. Due to the earths rotation, if they lose tracking, Saturn or Jupiter will appear to fly out of view in seconds. Objects will also vary in clarity based on atmospheric disturbance/"seeing." The same thing can occur when we look over a hot road in the summer. These guys were flying over a crystal flat ocean with the sun beating down overhead outside California. The reason the F-18's camera can't resolve the tail of the aircraft or the "tic tac's" change in the slope of the aircraft's presumed nose can be explained by poor viewing conditions.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

AdmiralKird wrote:
March 6 21, 1:19 pm
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:

Almost everything in these videos can be explained. The tic tac video is not of the same thing Fravor (sp?, Navypilot) talks about. It was recorded by a wingman in a different flight several hours later. It's probably just an airliner in the far distance. If you follow along with Mick West (debunker/skeptic) talking about it, you can see the degrees the camera is pointed relative to the body of the F-18 and the movement is consistent with a jet airliner at 30,000 feet several miles away that appears to accelerate at the end, but it's really just the camera losing tracking when the navigator/bombardier flips the camera back and forth between IR and TV. It doesn't move quickly or anything. Personally I've used telescopes with high optical power tracking celestial objects. Due to the earths rotation, if they lose tracking, Saturn or Jupiter will appear to fly out of view in seconds. Objects will also vary in clarity based on atmospheric disturbance/"seeing." The same thing can occur when we look over a hot road in the summer. These guys were flying over a crystal flat ocean with the sun beating down overhead outside California. The reason the F-18's camera can't resolve the tail of the aircraft or the "tic tac's" change in the slope of the aircraft's presumed nose can be explained by poor viewing conditions.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

AdmiralKird wrote:
March 6 21, 1:19 pm
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:

Wouldn’t this explanation require the navy to not be able to interpret the Adsb data airliners transponder? Seems unlikely.

https://apple.news/A08OX_KWHRnKS85VlL94mrA

Anyways, here’s more ufos or evidence of gross incompetence in basic recon anyone with a flight tracker app can identify.

AdmiralKird
MBA, CPA, CFA, CFP, JD, PE, MD

Post by AdmiralKird »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
March 26 21, 8:15 am
Wouldn’t this explanation require the navy to not be able to interpret the Adsb data airliners transponder? Seems unlikely.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_a ... _incidents

And this is just when people's fingers depress the trigger. 99% of the time the Navy will be able to identify a passenger airliner. You will never hear about these because - well - that's common. And 1% of the time bad information from the pilots will be conveyed to the aircraft carrier and/or cruisers, and they will hunt for the wrong thing and the wrong place and fail to ascertain an object's status. They will think something is 20 miles away when its really 60 and misidentify, no transponder, can't get ranging.

It's someone fumbling at their job or aliens. Personally in my own daily life, I see people sucking at their jobs quite frequently and have not yet once glimpsed an alien. I don't know how to try and explain how I feel. The proverbial you goes into work, all the time and most days its routine and boring or some version of this or that that you've done before. Then every once and awhile, you run into something that you haven't seen before that is totally crazy - and you're like, what is this?! And then you try and work through it and figure it out, or work around it, etc.

If you're a pilot however, these sort of situations can quickly become unidentified flying objects, which quickly becomes: aliens. That's why so many of these stories exist for a hundred years yet there's no good evidence of it. Probably every one of those is just pilots having a bad day. And not to further knock on pilot testimony, but it's been heavily inaccurate for a long time what people see in the air. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmat ... rld_War_II

These articles about the navy ships seeing this stuff coming down from the sky is too much of a game of telephone, and the actual data is never presented. I don't know if the person interpreting the data got it right, or its being passed on by someone else telling the reporter what their buddy said the radar data said.

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

The whole concept of aliens freak me out. If they can come here they can definitely wipe us out in the blink of an eye. With that said, I have serious doubts they have ever been here. The physics of it are basically impossible. However I am sure there is other life in the universe. It would be foolish to think we are alone.

For anyone that cares I will share three really credible eye witness accounts of sightings from people I know. The first being a good friend of my Dad's who was a farmer, now passed away. He was out feeding one early morning about a quarter mile from his house and he said the cows all the sudden all stood up and looked north. So he looked north and he said at the other end of the field, probably a half mile, was this silver disc that just floated silently along the fence. It had lights all along the side and just floated on down the way until it was out of site. This guy is as straight laced as can be and there is no way he made it up. Now did he see aliens? I doubt it but he said it was eerie and he felt it wasn't of this world.

The second happened to my Dad and Uncle. Sometime in the 80s there were a lot of sightings around here, I'm sure the military was testing things. Well something had broken down on a tractor around sunset and my Dad was under it working on it. My uncle starts yelling, you gotta see this you gotta see this. So my Dad hops up and he and my uncle saw a "very large cigar shaped object off in the distance." It had a row of lights all along the side of it. Now I will say my Dad and Uncle definitely will pull your leg here and there but I was told this story by both of them at different times and it was the same story, and both times I could tell they definitely think they saw something not ordinary.

The third isn't really a sighting but a funny story related to the sightings in the 80s. I guess the number of sightings here was enough it was freaking people out. The sheriffs office decided to send out deputies in the county to watch the skies for a few weeks. One night a good friend of our family was out in the middle of no where watching for UFOs. He said it was a nice night and his window was down and he nodded off. All the sudden MOOOOOOOOOO .... A cow had stuck his head in the window of the patrol car and let out a loud moo. Our friend said "I literally [expletive] myself," radioed in there is nothing going on here I'm going home.