Do you believe in UFOs?

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!

Do you believe?

Yes
54%
No
46%

Total votes: 41

Numbers
Perennial All-Star

Re: Do you believe in UFOs?

Post by Numbers »

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/arti ... article.do

"mile wide ufo" spotted by british airline pilot, w/pic
just thought it was interesting

vinsanity
Chili dog truther

Post by vinsanity »

wart57 wrote:WWII piolts saw them often enough to give them a name - Foo Fighters.
So if a Priest or an Educated man believes God spoke to him does that men God really spoke to him?

I'm not going to say that they didn't see something or that there isn't life out there, but I don't think there is enough evidence to believe in ET just yet.

If they are out there, why would they just do fly bys for 3000 years?

Secret Weapon
Perennial All-Star

Post by Secret Weapon »

Dead Airman's Affidavit: Roswell Aliens Were Real

Astonishing new twist

But last week came an astonishing new twist to the Roswell mystery.

Lt. Walter Haut was the public-relations officer at the base in 1947 and was the man who issued the original and subsequent press releases after the crash on the orders of the base commander, Col. William Blanchard.

Haut died in December 2005, but left a sworn affidavit to be opened only after his death.

Last week, the text was released. It asserts that the weather-balloon claim was a cover story and that the real object had been recovered by the military and stored in a hangar.

He described seeing not just the craft, but alien bodies.

He wasn't the first Roswell witness to talk about alien bodies.

Local undertaker Glenn Dennis had long claimed that he was contacted by authorities at Roswell shortly after the crash and asked to provide a number of child-sized coffins.

When he arrived at the base, he was apparently told by a nurse (who later disappeared) that a UFO had crashed and that small humanoid extraterrestrials had been recovered.

But Haut is the only one of the original participants to claim to have seen alien bodies.

UFO pieces handed around

Haut's affidavit talks about a high-level meeting he attended with base commander Col. William Blanchard and the Commander of the Eighth Army Air Force, Gen. Roger Ramey.

Haut states that at this meeting, pieces of wreckage were handed around for participants to touch, with nobody able to identify the material.

He says the press release was issued because locals were already aware of the crash site, but in fact there had been a second crash site, where more debris from the craft had fallen.

The plan was that an announcement acknowledging the first site, which had been discovered by a farmer, would divert attention from the second and more important location.

The clean-up operation

Haut also spoke about a clean-up operation, where for months afterward military personnel scoured both crash sites searching for all remaining pieces of debris, removing them and erasing all signs that anything unusual had occurred.

This ties in with claims made by locals that debris collected as souvenirs was seized by the military.

Haut then tells how Colonel Blanchard took him to "Building 84" — one of the hangars at Roswell — and showed him the craft itself.

He describes a metallic egg-shaped object around 12-15 feet in length and around 6 feet wide.

He said he saw no windows, wings, tail, landing gear or any other feature.

Haut "saw the alien bodies"

He saw two bodies on the floor, partially covered by a tarpaulin.

They are described in his statement as about 4 feet tall, with disproportionately large heads.

Towards the end of the affidavit, Haut concludes: "I am convinced that what I personally observed was some kind of craft and its crew from outer space."

What's particularly interesting about Walter Haut is that in the many interviews he gave before his death, he played down his role and made no such claims.

Had he been seeking publicity, he would surely have spoken about the craft and the bodies.

Did he fear ridicule, or was the affidavit a sort of deathbed confession from someone who had been part of a cover-up, but who had stayed loyal to the end?

The U.S. government came under huge pressure on Roswell in the '90s.

In July 1994, in response to an inquiry from the General Accounting Office, the office of the secretary of the Air Force published a report, "The Roswell Report: Fact Versus Fiction in the New Mexico Desert."

GatewaySnayke
Hall Of Famer

Post by GatewaySnayke »

Secret Weapon wrote:
arnie.k wrote: 4. the odds of intelligent life elsewhere than earth right now that are also technologically advanced enough - low (we've had serious technology, that could even pretend to be interested in other planets for about 50 years of the 5,000,000,000 the planet has existed).

6. the odds any of them have visited us recently, and chose to speak with - of all people - some drunk redneck on his way home from a barn dance - nil.
The universe is approximately 13.7 billion years old. Humans are approximately 200,000 years old. We're pretty new to the party here, thanks to the damn dinosaurs, luckily a meteor took them out. I don't think it's that hard to believe that maybe another society on another planet got a couple million year head start on us, and in that time developed technology we can't even comprehend.

And you're 6th point is such a cliched misconception. It's not just drunk rednecks who are coming forward with information. Pilots, astronauts, other nasa employees, military, government officials have all reported things.
I'll go to your first point and say this -- if they did get a head start on us and developed technology that allows them to defy physics (no object can go faster than the speed of light) then...well, come to my house, because I want to shake your hand, Mr. Alien.

It's very possible that there are life forms elsewhere...but this universe is very large, around 13 billion light years. Sagan has said that if you were randomly teleported somewhere else in the universe, you would be placed in space somewhere. It just seems hard to fathom that aliens could not only develop the technology to get here but to also figure out where we are at period.

M1IRONMIKE
Well hello, pilgrim

Post by M1IRONMIKE »

I just want to let you all know that ever since I was kidnapped by aliens 10 years ago I have been dying for some payback!!!!!

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Elaine: According to my source, the end of the world will be on February 14th, in the year two thousand and sixteen.
Peter Venkman: Valentine's day. Bummer. Where'd you get your date, Elaine?
Elaine: I recieved this information from an alien. I was sitting at the bar, alone and this alien approached me. He started talking to me, he bought me a drink. And then he must have used some kind of a ray or a mind control device because he forced me to follow him to his room and that's where he told me about the end of the world.
Peter Venkman: So your alien had a room at the Holiday Inn, Paramis?
Elaine: It could have been a room on the spaceship made to look like the hotel. I can't be sure about that, Peter.

AdmiralKird
MBA, CPA, CFA, CFP, JD, PE, MD

Post by AdmiralKird »

GatewaySnayke wrote:
I'll go to your first point and say this -- if they did get a head start on us and developed technology that allows them to defy physics (no object can go faster than the speed of light) then...well, come to my house, because I want to shake your hand, Mr. Alien.

It's very possible that there are life forms elsewhere...but this universe is very large, around 13 billion light years. Sagan has said that if you were randomly teleported somewhere else in the universe, you would be placed in space somewhere. It just seems hard to fathom that aliens could not only develop the technology to get here but to also figure out where we are at period.
Personally, I think its very naive to base what you think another species can do based on what we can do. I could say that I can't fathom that any creature our size could lift up a fully loaded semi-truck on its back, yet we know from studying ants that if they were our size they could easily lift a semi. Also you've gotta remember, any aliens can be completely dumber than us, or exponentially smarter.

Personally, I believe they're hanging around and have visited us before, especially in the early times of humanity. But thats just me.
http://www.mt.net/~watcher/enoch5.html
Last edited by AdmiralKird on July 4 07, 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

letsgocards89
Perennial All-Star

Post by letsgocards89 »

Here's something interesting regarding SETI @ Home and the PS3.

PS3 Triples Folding At Home's Computing Power to Over 500 TFLOPS

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

GatewaySnayke wrote:but this universe is very large, around 13 billion light years.
So if the universe is finite, what's on the other side?
Last edited by Radbird on July 4 07, 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arthur Dent
Hall Of Famer

Post by Arthur Dent »

Radbird wrote:So if the universe in finite, what's on the other side?
In most finite universe models, there is no other "side". If you move long enough in a straight line you return to where you started much like moving on the surface of the Earth.

The 13 billion light years number is not really the distance to the edge. It is simply based on the fact that the best estimate of the age of the universe is about 13-14 billion years, and since nothing goes faster than light, the largest conceivable distance is 13 billion light-years.