The Official GRB Chess Thread

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Cronos
In perpetuum

The Official GRB Chess Thread

Post by Cronos »

I was looking back through an old thread and I noticed that there are some fellow Chess-philes here at GRB. I recently got back into playing pretty actively; I used to play quite often growing up(I even won a mini-tournament in middle school and got my name on a plaque, my proudest "Geek" moment to date).

Holla back if you like, play, would like to play, enjoy watching, or anything else involving Chess.

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Re: The Official GRB Chess Thread

Post by Fat Strat »

I cleared some space in my office last week, added a little coffee table and some ottoman's as chairs. Put a chess set on the coffee table, and one of the guys in the office has started playing a running game here. He only makes like 1-2 moves a day, which is incredibly annoying. But, at least I'm playing. I like chess, but it's not often that I get to play. Hard to find people that will play with me.

StatmanCrothers
Perennial All-Star

Post by StatmanCrothers »

I love Chess. Chuck Berry is one of my favorites, but you can't count out Howlin' Wolf, Muddy Waters and Bo Diddley.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

I thought this bump was going to be about The Queen's Gambit on Netflix. Anyone watching? I watched the first episode, started the second but figured it was going to get into some child abuse and I didn't want to see that.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
November 16 20, 3:44 pm
I thought this bump was going to be about The Queen's Gambit on Netflix. Anyone watching? I watched the first episode, started the second but figured it was going to get into some child abuse and I didn't want to see that.
No child abuse really, just drug and alcohol abuse.

I won’t spoil anything. Really good show - well acted and shot. Plot gets a little flimsy at points, but overall I really enjoyed it.

Gashouse
Perennial All-Star

Post by Gashouse »

I've been wanting to start Queen's Gambit, but haven't yet.

I like to play, too. I use the Chess.com app to play random people of similar ratings. I like that I can set the pace that I'm likely to play. Sometimes I'm ready to make several moves in a day, but sometimes I'm busy and don't open it for a couple days.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

I signed up for an account on chess.com and have been playing a little bit online. Does anyone else play there? My username is 'awvscb' if anyone wants to play a game. Full disclosure, I've never studied or tried to be good at chess so I know zero opening theory and struggle mightily with endgames which doesn't make for very good games and I'm rated about 500 :) But, I'll try. And, it likely won't be a typical game.

olvs
Single A Minor League Player

Post by olvs »

same here, I started playing chess online a lot these days. Esp after I started watching Queen's gambit.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

Epic thread bump here.

I play a little chess too. I'm kind of like AW though. Never really studied, end game is pitiful, but I enjoy a game or two every now and then.

Also, Queen's Gambit was really enjoyable. Watch it. You won't be sorry.