Enjoy Lake Mead While it Lasts

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
maddash
is eerily well-versed on Project Runway and irony

Re: Enjoy Lake Mead While it Lasts

Post by maddash »

Hungary Jack wrote:
maddash wrote:
Hungary Jack wrote:
maddash wrote:Either you bring the water to L.A. or you bring L.A. to the water.
I think that one has already been decided. Cadillac Desert tells the story in riveting detail. First the Owens Valley, then Parker Dam, which nearly precipitated armed conflict between an Arizone militia group and some cops from LA, and then the Central Valley Project.

Interestingly, Santa Barbara has a desal plant which is currently mothballed. They pull some water from the Central Valley, and get what they can out of Gibralter resevoir (I hope to be hiking there in about a month).
After the recommendations, Cadillac Desert is definitely on my list. BTW, the line "Either you bring the water to L.A. or you bring L.A. to the water" is from the movie Chinatown (you may have already known that). And Chinatown is roughly based on the California water wars... which makes Cadillac Desert even more intriguing to me.
I have not seen Chinatown. Thanks for the tip. Kurt Russell and Meryl Streep?
Chinatown stars Jack Nicholson and Faye Dunaway, and is a film noir throwback to some of the hard boiled detective stories from the 30's/40's.

Now, Kurt Russell was in Big Trouble in Little China (a fine movie in its own right) but he started with Kim Cattrall. Not sure what movie Meryl Streep was in... China Syndrome? :)

Hungary Jack
Mother Earth

Post by Hungary Jack »

maddash wrote:
Hungary Jack wrote:
maddash wrote:
Hungary Jack wrote:
maddash wrote:Either you bring the water to L.A. or you bring L.A. to the water.
I think that one has already been decided. Cadillac Desert tells the story in riveting detail. First the Owens Valley, then Parker Dam, which nearly precipitated armed conflict between an Arizone militia group and some cops from LA, and then the Central Valley Project.

Interestingly, Santa Barbara has a desal plant which is currently mothballed. They pull some water from the Central Valley, and get what they can out of Gibralter resevoir (I hope to be hiking there in about a month).
After the recommendations, Cadillac Desert is definitely on my list. BTW, the line "Either you bring the water to L.A. or you bring L.A. to the water" is from the movie Chinatown (you may have already known that). And Chinatown is roughly based on the California water wars... which makes Cadillac Desert even more intriguing to me.
I have not seen Chinatown. Thanks for the tip. Kurt Russell and Meryl Streep?
Chinatown stars Jack Nicholson and Faye Dunaway, and is a film noir throwback to some of the hard boiled detective stories from the 30's/40's.

Now, Kurt Russell was in Big Trouble in Little China (a fine movie in its own right) but he started with Kim Cattrall. Not sure what movie Meryl Streep was in... China Syndrome? :)
Good grief. I've got my Chinas all mixed up. Thanks for setting me straight.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Hungary Jack wrote:
February 13 08, 8:15 am
Well, maybe. But one study suggests that increasing water use and dwindling snowpack could suck the lake dry in 13 years.

Maybe more like 15 years. Get it right.

https://mead.uslakes.info/Level/

https://thenevadaindependent.com/articl ... a-day-zero

Not sure there is a comprehensive and coherent article available, but, uh, yeah.

So, deadpool elevation is 890. The lake is at 1045 today (was 1070 this day last year, 1090 the year before and the previous couple years), and is currently losing about 3-4" of elevation a day.

Currently, I'm not sure a boat can be launched with traditional equipment (F-150 type truck, typical trailer, typical boat).

Not an expert, but you can find all sorts of info about how low the lake is.

There's also Lake Powell which is holding water but also from what I can tell well below where it should be.

TGantz
R-E-S-P-E-C-T...What Dr Pepper Means to Me

Post by TGantz »

There's a fisherman I was watching on youtube showing the water levels there. He would show a boat under the water with maybe just the prop barely sticking out. Then he went back a couple weeks later and the boat was on land 10 feet away from the edge of the water. Really crazy stuff.