Enjoy Lake Mead While it Lasts

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Simbagal23
All-Star

Re: Enjoy Lake Mead While it Lasts

Post by Simbagal23 »

Sorry, HJ! I read your message too fast....yep, Lake Lanier it is. Just north of us, maybe 15 miles.....

Speaking of agriculture, the water released from Lake Lanier to Florida is to preserve a special type of clam (or mussel....is there a difference???).

Hungary Jack
Mother Earth

Post by Hungary Jack »

Simbagal23 wrote:Sorry, HJ! I read your message too fast....yep, Lake Lanier it is. Just north of us, maybe 15 miles.....

Speaking of agriculture, the water released from Lake Lanier to Florida is to preserve a special type of clam (or mussel....is there a difference???).
Not sure, but situations like this aren't unusual. Environmental organizations will sue the BuRec or the Corps under the Endangered Species Act to force water flows to preserve habitat for water-dependent species. The best known might be for a fish called the snail-darter.

I have mixed feelings about these suits, but the law is the law, and if they encourage wiser use of our resources, then the public good is served, IMO.

Simbagal23
All-Star

Post by Simbagal23 »

Hungary Jack wrote:
Simbagal23 wrote:Sorry, HJ! I read your message too fast....yep, Lake Lanier it is. Just north of us, maybe 15 miles.....

Not sure, but situations like this aren't unusual. Environmental organizations will sue the BuRec or the Corps under the Endangered Species Act to force water flows to preserve habitat for water-dependent species. The best known might be for a fish called the snail-darter.

I have mixed feelings about these suits, but the law is the law, and if they encourage wiser use of our resources, then the public good is served, IMO.
I get where your coming from....it turns out, the main problem is that the law the corps must follow is archaic and has not been updated since the population explosion. I certainly can't blame the corps for following the law and you are right, it has forced people to conserve (which is great). I believe the next step is updating/revising the law....but this could be a very long process. My main beef is that GA was forced to conserve yet AL and FL didn't back off on their usage at all.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Cadillac Desert has been added to my list. Thanks, HJ and Gashouse.

Hungary Jack
Mother Earth

Post by Hungary Jack »

Simbagal23 wrote:
Hungary Jack wrote:

I get where your coming from....it turns out, the main problem is that the law the corps must follow is archaic and has not been updated since the population explosion. I certainly can't blame the corps for following the law and you are right, it has forced people to conserve (which is great). I believe the next step is updating/revising the law....but this could be a very long process. My main beef is that GA was forced to conserve yet AL and FL didn't back off on their usage at all.
Water law is not my forte, but my understanding is that it is separate from property rights. So you can own the property, but not the water that flows across it. And so water rights can be bought and sold from afar, as it is in the Colorado basin. A few years ago I was cooling off in a small mountain stream after hiking Mt. Elbert in central Colorado. I remember sitting in the cold water, thinking "this water probably belongs to the City of Los Angeles or Las Vegas."

Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.

Post by Leroy »

I tell you what I see when I look out there. I see the undeveloped resources of Arizona, Northern New Mexico, and Colorado. I see a syndicated development consortium exploiting over a billion and a half dollars in forest products. I see a paper mill and if the strategic metals are there, a mining operation. A greenbelt between the condos on the lake and a waste management facility focusing on the newest rage in toxic waste, medical refuse. Infected bandages, body parts, IV tubing, contaminated glassware, entrails,syringes, fluids, blood, low grade radioactive waste all safely contained sunken in the lake and sealed for centuries. Now I ask you what do you see?

maddash
is eerily well-versed on Project Runway and irony

Post by maddash »

Either you bring the water to L.A. or you bring L.A. to the water.

Hungary Jack
Mother Earth

Post by Hungary Jack »

maddash wrote:Either you bring the water to L.A. or you bring L.A. to the water.
I think that one has already been decided. Cadillac Desert tells the story in riveting detail. First the Owens Valley, then Parker Dam, which nearly precipitated armed conflict between an Arizone militia group and some cops from LA, and then the Central Valley Project.

Interestingly, Santa Barbara has a desal plant which is currently mothballed. They pull some water from the Central Valley, and get what they can out of Gibralter resevoir (I hope to be hiking there in about a month).

maddash
is eerily well-versed on Project Runway and irony

Post by maddash »

Hungary Jack wrote:
maddash wrote:Either you bring the water to L.A. or you bring L.A. to the water.
I think that one has already been decided. Cadillac Desert tells the story in riveting detail. First the Owens Valley, then Parker Dam, which nearly precipitated armed conflict between an Arizone militia group and some cops from LA, and then the Central Valley Project.

Interestingly, Santa Barbara has a desal plant which is currently mothballed. They pull some water from the Central Valley, and get what they can out of Gibralter resevoir (I hope to be hiking there in about a month).
After the recommendations, Cadillac Desert is definitely on my list. BTW, the line "Either you bring the water to L.A. or you bring L.A. to the water" is from the movie Chinatown (you may have already known that). And Chinatown is roughly based on the California water wars... which makes Cadillac Desert even more intriguing to me.

Hungary Jack
Mother Earth

Post by Hungary Jack »

maddash wrote:
Hungary Jack wrote:

After the recommendations, Cadillac Desert is definitely on my list. BTW, the line "Either you bring the water to L.A. or you bring L.A. to the water" is from the movie Chinatown (you may have already known that). And Chinatown is roughly based on the California water wars... which makes Cadillac Desert even more intriguing to me.
I have not seen Chinatown. Thanks for the tip. Kurt Russell and Meryl Streep?