The Beer Thread

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Re: The Beer Thread

Post by Freed Roger »

Drinking a Perrennial beer called No Working Title. A bit of a Belgian. It is good- but not sure how it is a 10 pint. (Bought it before seeing the price)

Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

was surprised how much i liked this Dogfish head Siracusa Nera A beer wine hybrid? There's a whole lot going on with this beer.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

dogfish head finally made its way to wichita

JL21
NPR & THT Contributor

Post by JL21 »

I bet I've mentioned it here before, and I have no clue if you all can find it in the midwest. But this guy is well worth the price:

I've noticed it's getting more and more national publicity lately. The Eno Sarris beer site (October) recently featured it.

They've started going crazy with the variant versions the last few years. They have a Christmas Morning (the GBS with coffee), a Kentucky Christmas Morning (GBS with coffee aged in bourbon barrels), a bourbon barrel GBS... they do those three pretty much every year and they're all great.

This year, they added an Apple Brandy GBS (I haven't done this yet), a Rum Barrel GBS, and a Double Barrel GBS (aged first in bourbon barrels, then rum barrels... or maybe vice versa, I'm not sure about the order).

Anyway... I had the Rum Barrel GBS on tap the other day and it's [expletive] incredible. There aren't many beers that I liked that much after one swig. Abraxas would be on that list. That should give you an idea of how much I loved the Rum Barrel GBS... it's in the same ballpark as Abraxas.

The Double Barrel is also great.

Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

loaded up on some 2nd Shift beers at Xmas. All good.

Frustrating part is that for take-home, what is available was really limited. only 32 Oz growlers (why bother?) or can/bottles is mostly IPAs and the Unicorn Killer saison (excellent). No take home of the Czech pils, and their LSD series (barrel aged dark goodness).

Oh well. I am looking forward to a modified* Drynuary. Have started early actually. This time of year, with all the crappy eating, winter darkness and extra layers of clothes - I don't need to be worn down by drinking a couple beers on a weeknight.

*still will have a social weekend beer or two. Not going to neurotic about abstaining this year.

Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

Stopped by Earthbound Brewery. Incomplete review - just had one, 61 Schilling. They called it a scotch ale, but it tasted like soap & couldn't finish it. I've had their ESB b/f -thumbs up.

Their new space is open and cool, with big giant doors and a mezzanine - probably could use a little more decor to bust it up though. Look forward to if/when they can incorporate the cave into the regular experience.
The smoked meats smelled pretty good, maybe next time.

Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

JL21
NPR & THT Contributor

Post by JL21 »

My new beer crush is the Maine Beer Company. Small, run by hippies who love beer, and they have family from Missouri (their Mean Old Tom stout is named after their uncle from Louisiana, MO).

They’re spreading out with better distribution now and I bet they come to STL soon. If you see them, I highly recommend them. But their labels are very understated.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

sorry, wrong thread. too late now.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

Jocephus wrote: sorry, wrong thread. too late now.
So there is no Grizzly Paw brewery?? :cry: