Our financial system is crumbling this week.

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
G. Keenan
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Re: Our financial system is crumbling this week.

Post by G. Keenan »

Jocephus wrote:
January 19 22, 1:39 pm
G. Keenan wrote:
January 19 22, 1:37 pm

American companies need to stop making everything we buy in China. It's becoming super problematic on like every front.
yes but you can't maximize profits with american workers in american towns
Nope. And as we're seeing with the current inflation panic, Americans apparently can't psychologically handle 7% inflation let alone what it would cost to make our electronics, textiles, furniture, and whatnot here like we used to.

We raced to the bottom on manufacturing so that the shareholder class could see better returns and now we're stuck at the bottom of a pit fighting over scraps while Bezos and Musk go to space and the rest of the billionaire class build apocalypse mansions in New Zealand.

TGantz
R-E-S-P-E-C-T...What Dr Pepper Means to Me

Post by TGantz »

G. Keenan wrote:
American companies need to stop making everything we buy in China. It's becoming super problematic on like every front.
I agree 100%. Even if we made everything in Argentina, it seems pretty dumb to rely on other countries for literally everything. Especially when we could use the jobs. I don't know enough about all this to solve it, but it seems like having most of our medicine coming from another country is a bad idea. Especially when that country refers to us as an enemy.

Somewhat off topic, but Amazon's products have spiraled down hill. Everything is a knock off. Everything is cheap crap. Fake name brands. The only name brand stuff left is the stuff you would find at TJ Maxx because it didnt sell.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

TGantz wrote:
January 19 22, 2:02 pm
G. Keenan wrote:
I agree 100%. Even if we made everything in Argentina, it seems pretty dumb to rely on other countries for literally everything. Especially when we could use the jobs. I don't know enough about all this to solve it, but it seems like having most of our medicine coming from another country is a bad idea. Especially when that country refers to us as an enemy.

Somewhat off topic, but Amazon's products have spiraled down hill. Everything is a knock off. Everything is cheap crap. Fake name brands. The only name brand stuff left is the stuff you would find at TJ Maxx because it didnt sell.
Agree about not making stuff in china.

Also, the 'business' of amazon has become third party sellers buying [expletive] on alibaba, and selling it on amazon. Amazon has a low fee to do this, then they have add ons to store, handle, ship the products, and other fees to promote the products. Then people find ways to gimmick the reviews like offering free products in turn for a review which is done after 1 day of using the product and results in a 5 star review though the thing will fall apart on day 2. I don't know what percent of [expletive] sold on Amazon is this method, but it's not a negligible amount.

Superorganism
Veteran Player

Post by Superorganism »

I will gladly pay more for items if they were made by fellow Americans and employing them with decent wages. I’d buy a lot less stuff, but it would hopefully be a lot nicer stuff.

And you’re right AWvCB. I used to love Amazon reviews. They’ve been worthless for years. It’s either 1* reviews crapping on the poor shipping of the products. Or 5* reviews that are obvious shilling. It’s a hellscape.

G. Keenan
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Post by G. Keenan »

I quit Amazon Prime a year ago, maybe more, and my e-commerce life is just fine. Don't miss it at all, and I discovered you can still get all the benefits of Prime (except streaming video) without subscribing. Everything I've ordered since quitting Prime still ships free as 5-day shipping, and I can plan my life well enough in advance that there's nothing I need to buy online that I can't wait 5 days to receive. And what I've discovered is that the stuff still arrives in 2 days anyway, for free. So I get Prime 2-day shipping by default. Now I'm in a big city with multiple Amazon warehouses and whatnot, so more rural or exurban areas might not get stuff as quickly.

TGantz
R-E-S-P-E-C-T...What Dr Pepper Means to Me

Post by TGantz »

G. Keenan wrote:
January 20 22, 10:24 am
I quit Amazon Prime a year ago, maybe more, and my e-commerce life is just fine. Don't miss it at all, and I discovered you can still get all the benefits of Prime (except streaming video) without subscribing. Everything I've ordered since quitting Prime still ships free as 5-day shipping, and I can plan my life well enough in advance that there's nothing I need to buy online that I can't wait 5 days to receive. And what I've discovered is that the stuff still arrives in 2 days anyway, for free. So I get Prime 2-day shipping by default. Now I'm in a big city with multiple Amazon warehouses and whatnot, so more rural or exurban areas might not get stuff as quickly.
I really want to quit using Amazon, but the wife does not. The streaming service is just as bad as the shopping. Half of the stuff listed is only for rental. I can't imagine how many people have been tricked into renting things they thought were free. It gives a prompt before purchasing, but I'm sure my mom would click right through it.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

The pandemic experience really has laid bare what Amazon is: A clearinghouse for cheap imported junk. How many times have we ordered masks or mask filters only to find that they were cheap knockoffs? Amazon has the ability to control what goes on its platform, but they don't care. Well, they won't care until it touches their bottom line. I may be joining y'all in cutting Prime and doing our best to order from other sources.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

heyzeus wrote:
January 20 22, 11:26 am
The pandemic experience really has laid bare what Amazon is: A clearinghouse for cheap imported junk. How many times have we ordered masks or mask filters only to find that they were cheap knockoffs? Amazon has the ability to control what goes on its platform, but they don't care. Well, they won't care until it touches their bottom line. I may be joining y'all in cutting Prime and doing our best to order from other sources.
It is getting increasingly harder to find non-Chinese-knockoff options for so many things on Amazon now. I was searching for a simple space heater a couple weeks ago. An item where I probably don't want to trust a cheap knockoff. It was virtually impossible to find reputable name brands, so I just gave up.

AdmiralKird
MBA, CPA, CFA, CFP, JD, PE, MD

Post by AdmiralKird »

FWIW, you can just pickup space heaters at Walmart in March/April for $3 on clearance. Easier for them to wipe the excess inventory out than ship and warehouse it.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

AdmiralKird wrote:
January 20 22, 11:42 am
FWIW, you can just pickup space heaters at Walmart in March/April for $3 on clearance. Easier for them to wipe the excess inventory out than ship and warehouse it.
But then I'd have to go to WalMart, so...